100% Itinerary Change

Sandy1975

Staying at a Punta Cana all-inclusive is what first interested us in cruising. I'd definitely stay on the ship if that were a port of call for me, especially if you have to tender. I found it less than charming, to say the least.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but I have to add that there is insurance that will cover port changes. I purchased the nationwide “luxary” plan for my September cruise this year. They will pay up to $1,250 per person for port changes announced prior to departure. That will certainly soften the blow if we have to miss one of the ports in our itinerary.

I know this is an older thread, but I have to add that there is insurance that will cover port changes. I purchased the nationwide “luxary” plan for my September cruise this year. They will pay up to $1,250 per person for port changes announced prior to departure. That will certainly soften the blow if we have to miss one of the ports in our itinerary.

Are you saying they pay you money if a port is changed (even if it causes you no financial loss) or just that they reimburse you up to that amount for pre-paid expenses at that port that are non-refundable (i.e. you pre-pay $500 for a private excursion, the port is changed, the excursion company will not reimburse you - so the insurance covers the $500 you are out)?

Are you saying they pay you money if a port is changed (even if it causes you no financial loss) or just that they reimburse you up to that amount for pre-paid expenses at that port that are non-refundable (i.e. you pre-pay $500 for a private excursion, the port is changed, the excursion company will not reimburse you - so the insurance covers the $500 you are out)?

The plan I have is as you describe for pre-paid non-refundable expenses at the missed port. Not for missing the port.

Spirit ~ may I suggest that instead of responding to an old thread such as this that you begin a new thread with a title that relates to your post. Pulling up an old thread like this can cause confusion when folks don't realize it's old.

Doesn't happen often, but it happens. My husband took his daughter on a five-day cruise (different cruise line) last January, a college graduation gift. Weather proved to be a HUGE factor, causing on-the-fly itinerary changes. They were supposed to stop in Jamaica and Grand Cayman. They ended up visiting Cozumel and Freeport, Bahamas. His daughter has sworn off cruising as a result. As a more experienced cruiser, I was impressed that the ship managed to cruise around most of the bad weather on sea days and locate them two substitute ports where there was good weather. I'm a huge plan-in-advance type, so it would have been a difficult adjustment for me, but I would never let it ruin my vacation. As most here will say, there is no such thing as a BAD cruise - only good, better and best!

I've been very lucky. In 13 cruises, I've never totally missed a planned port. Had a huge delay departing from Galveston once, but we didn't miss any time at any ports.

Yes, they pay you if your itinerary changes prior to the cruise regardless of whether you booked pre-paid excursions or not. If the ports change after the cruise, they cover the cost of the excursions that you miss if they aren’t refundable. Lots of other great coverage as well and very reasonable prices.

Yes, they pay you if your itinerary changes prior to the cruise regardless of whether you booked pre-paid excursions or not. If the ports change after the cruise, they cover the cost of the excursions that you miss if they aren’t refundable. Lots of other great coverage as well and very reasonable prices.

How do they determine how much money to pay out? Have only heard of travel insurance making people whole - i.e. reimbursing for money one would otherwise have lost.