100% Itinerary Change

Sandy1975

I know that you are not happy with the replacement ports, but St Kitts and Antiqua are very nice...

Never travel without insurance.

Yes, I know. I have been there a several times. I was more unhappy about PR since it was the only island that was not "beach heavy" for my MIL.

Check again. This morning we were advised we had Punta Cana on our December Equinox cruise, just changed to St.Croix at 7:00 p.m. this evening.

My guess is that it will not be the last change.

Just saw St Croix on Weather channel...folks are lining up to take a cruise ship out of there. Many places in ruins, no AC unless they have a generator..No idea why cruise line would go there on a reg itin

Just saw St Croix on Weather channel...folks are lining up to take a cruise ship out of there. Many places in ruins, no AC unless they have a generator..No idea why cruise line would go there on a reg itin

So sad. I hope nothing else comes towards these islands for the remainder og hurricane season

My November eastern caribbean cruise has a revised schedule and all 3 ports have been changed. These are ports I would not choose if I had the choice. Insurance may have covered this but I don't have it so I need to know what other options I may have besides losing 50% of my deposit.

Has anyone experience something like this before and what happened in your situation? Thanks

We have yet to take a Celebrity cruise where the final itinerary has matched what we booked in over 10 years of cruising with them. One memorable 15-night transatlantic had no ports from the original itinerary by the time we sailed despite nothing as understandable as a hurricane was the cause. There were considerably more than three ports involved. Another transatlantic the itinerary survived intact until the day we sailed. There are ports we would love to visit but have not yet because every time we book an itinerary including them, they are changed.

The only time we were offered the opportunity to cancel without losing our deposit (we are in the UK with non-refundable deposits) was our very first cruise. It matters not whether the changes are close to the cruise or more than a year in advance.

My advice to the OP is to be thankful for being able to cruise, relax and enjoy.

That is strange. I have had well over 20 cruises (mostly in the Caribbean) and have never had a port changed. Have I just been lucky?

We have circumnavigated the World cruising, so our experience in the Caribbean is only relatively recent (i.e. since 2012) but all our itineraries so far have been changed at some stage. We tend to book our cruises two years in advance. Perhaps you are last minute bookers?

We haven't once booked late. We usually book at least a year ahead in order to get the room we want.

I guess you are luckier than us, then, although very many of our itinerary changes come in the first year of our booking. So far, Celebrity have managed to change the itinerary once and then cancel our 2019 cruise in well under a year since we first booked.

Question, with no running water nor electricity for 3 million people, where do you expect to get to go and see?

That is the best statement I have seen in a long time. With an entire Island stripped of its entire electrical infrastructure and a landscape from a science fiction movie the best things a cruise ship could do would be a stop and drop at the port to unload a few hundred more generators and some basic hygiene essentials.

The Island would still get our port fees as a donation to the rebuilding and maybe a few additional bucks from the passengers as well..

I've been to San Juan more than a dozen times and wouldn't mind at all.

bosco

That is strange. I have had well over 20 cruises (mostly in the Caribbean) and have never had a port changed. Have I just been lucky?

And I have been on over 60 and have never had a port changed.(that I can remember) lol- We should buy lottery tickets! Oh, but I just had one canceled- does that count?

Helaine

Question, with no running water nor electricity for 3 million people, where do you expect to get to go and see?

Watching the weather channel they are showing hundreds of containers sitting in the ports waiting to be delivered. The problem is that there aren’t any or enough drivers available. The workers can’t get to the ports because of the roads and if they were able to they can’t get the supplies out because of the roads being damaged, submerged, blocked and etc.

Don’t understand why they are allowing outsiders onto that island unless they are going there to help clear the island.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We haven't once booked late. We usually book at least a year ahead in order to get the room we want.

Yes you are lucky. We have been diverted several times on our destination cruises such as Antarctica, French Poly,

Regarding San Juan. Withe the gearing up of local distribution of relief supplies, there are going to be tractor trailer rigs everywhere outside of old San Juan. And that will not stop for a time to come considering there is no infrastructure

Watching the weather channel they are showing hundreds of containers sitting in the ports waiting to be delivered. The problem is that there aren’t any or enough drivers available. The workers can’t get to the ports because of the roads and if they were able to they can’t get the supplies out because of the roads being damaged, submerged, blocked and etc.

Don’t understand why they are allowing outsiders onto that island unless they are going there to help clear the island. Happy cruising

They need to send in Army Corps of Engineers and put them in charge of clearing roads. They'll get the job done post haste. It's tragic to see containers loaded with supplies that are so desperately needed not to mention food and medicines that are spoiling in the heat.

My November eastern caribbean cruise has a revised schedule and all 3 ports have been changed. These are ports I would not choose if I had the choice. Insurance may have covered this but I don't have it so I need to know what other options I may have besides losing 50% of my deposit.

Has anyone experience something like this before and what happened in your situation? Thanks

Go and enjoy your cruise.

If your purpose for the cruise is to be able to visit the port, you may have to prepare accepting to lose some money. Personally, I will proceed with it and be on vacation mode.

I think I need to post a reply. Yes, I expected changes to all ports, yes I was dissapointed with the sub for Puerto Rico, and yes I could have used a better title but I can't change that now.

I am still going on my cruise. I just wanted to know people's experience with this and options (even though I knew I didn't have any).

I have been to St Kitts and Antigua many times and visiting again is not a big deal. Swapping PR for Punta Cana is IMO useless because of the arrival time. I have never been to PC but I think it is a beach destination. Not much to do if we arrive at 330 pm and we tender.

Anyway, itinerary was changed back to PR but it is likely to change again. If I dont like the port I will do as I always do and stay on the ship, which is beautiful.