Birth certificate & ID??

jchill

Hi all!!! 28 days from sailing. With 2 friends on the Escape!! My 2nd time. Fabulous ship!! Our itinerary was just changed to Western Caribbean due to the storm damage. One of my friends was going to use her bc and Id for the Eastern route....can she still use it for the Western????

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

Hi all!!! 28 days from sailing. With 2 friends on the Escape!! My 2nd time. Fabulous ship!! Our itinerary was just changed to Western Caribbean due to the storm damage. One of my friends was going to use her bc and Id for the Eastern route....can she still use it for the Western????

Sent from my SM-G928T using Forums mobile app

If it is still a closed loop cruise, Yes. Official birth certificate and Govt issued id can be used by US citizen for any of the closed loop Caribbean cruises.

Tell your friend to get a passport or passport card (or both) if they like cruising in the Caribbean. While the ID and birth cert will be OK normally, if for some reason they have to fly home before the cruise ends, only a passport will work (not even the passport card will). Also, it makes life easier if you get diverted to a country that won't accept a birth cert and government ID.

The OP clearly knows the risk. Why do so many people have to turn these Yes - No questions about passports into lengthy discussions about why they would do something one way as opposed to another. Even if you don't have a passport and get stuck, you are going to get home. It may take a little bit longer but you will get back.

To answer OP's question - Yes, you can cruise a Western Caribbean cruise using only a birth certificate and a photo ID, as long as the cruise is a closed loop cruise (it leaves from the same port that it returns to).

The OP clearly knows the risk. Why do so many people have to turn these Yes - No questions about passports into lengthy discussions about why they would do something one way as opposed to another. Even if you don't have a passport and get stuck, you are going to get home. It may take a little bit longer but you will get back.

To answer OP's question - Yes, you can cruise a Western Caribbean cruise using only a birth certificate and a photo ID, as long as the cruise is a closed loop cruise (it leaves from the same port that it returns to).

It's simple - the right way, safe with no risk, is to get a passport. Gentgeen's answer is spot on.