Is crusing still a bargin ?

flyers1976

I view cruising as a former bargain - not now.

Cruise lines have systematically reduced their product offering while increasing prices. Further, the degradation trend is ongoing. So when you book you will likely not receive the product you purchased.

While there is nothing remiss in increased prices due to inflation etc, the price increases have been well above this - but it is supply and demand and the impact of what is known in marketing as the "obedient consumer" syndrome. This syndrome is demonstrated repeatedly on CC with posters complaining about reduced product but still having X cruises booked.

Our household does not cruise nearly as much as before and we will not purchase any cruise product from a cruise line that consistently degrades their product offering.

We have been avid supporters of cruising and Princess specifically, we love the islands. Is it just me, but it seems over the past 3 years the prices have been going up and up and what you get is less and less. It's not the bargin it used to be and you get nickeled and dimed along the way. I was shocked that we just booked a week at an all inclusive resort, with an ocean front room for 30% less than we were going to pay for our next cruise in January. That is before any shore excursion, alcohol and dinners at the crown gill added on (and then tips). Anyone else see or feel this way? If you currently do not have to fly to get to Ft. Lauderdale, then I can still see some savings. In our case, we are flying anyway.

Princess was fined, if our family cruise in July of 18 is not to the standard we expect with increases, we will look for another line. That said, we already have a cruise booked after family cruise with Princess so we are hoping for the 5 star experience we had on our first Diamond Cruise that started our love of cruising.

The reality is, it can only be a "bargain" if you cruise a certain way. I have done many comparisons while trying to plan a vacation of a cruise vs an AI in Mexico or Punta Cana. AI always comes out cheaper. Why? Because literally every bite of food you eat and every single beverage you drink is included. There is little opportunity to spend extra unless you feel the need to get wine by the bottle or use the spa, or do excursions. We rarely use the spa, (which is more reasonably priced than a cruise spa) and we don't buy wine by the bottle or leave the resort. Even room service is included 24/7. And the room is super gigantic and extremely luxurious compared to what you'd get on a cruise ship in an OV, balcony or MS. We go to resorts that have 5-8 different dining venues, not having to worry about reservations like you would on a cruise.

On a cruise, the opportunity to spend extra is nearly unlimited. First off, we would not book an inside cabin so no savings there. We are not lovers of the MDR experience anymore so it's specialty dining at an upcharge. Drinks cost extra. Room service costs extra. Excursions cost, and it's only been one cruise we've taken that we stayed on the ship the whole time. If you want the adults only area, it costs (unless it's RCI). Gratuities are extra. So are port fees.

At an AI, this is all included. We choose high end adults only resorts so the child free experience is already paid for.

There are people who cruise who don't drink, don't use specialty dining, and would take an interior cabin. Lots of savings there. So, at the end of the day it depends on how you roll. But cruising is a unique experience and cannot be matched by anything else. So we are willing to pay the extras to enjoy that.

The reality is, it can only be a "bargain" if you cruise a certain way. I have done many comparisons while trying to plan a vacation of a cruise vs an AI in Mexico or Punta Cana. AI always comes out cheaper. Why? Because literally every bite of food you eat and every single beverage you drink is included. There is little opportunity to spend extra unless you feel the need to get wine by the bottle or use the spa, or do excursions. We rarely use the spa, (which is more reasonably priced than a cruise spa) and we don't buy wine by the bottle or leave the resort. Even room service is included 24/7. And the room is super gigantic and extremely luxurious compared to what you'd get on a cruise ship in an OV, balcony or MS. We go to resorts that have 5-8 different dining venues, not having to worry about reservations like you would on a cruise.

On a cruise, the opportunity to spend extra is nearly unlimited. First off, we would not book an inside cabin so no savings there. We are not lovers of the MDR experience anymore so it's specialty dining at an upcharge. Drinks cost extra. Room service costs extra. Excursions cost, and it's only been one cruise we've taken that we stayed on the ship the whole time. If you want the adults only area, it costs (unless it's RCI). Gratuities are extra. So are port fees.

At an AI, this is all included. We choose high end adults only resorts so the child free experience is already paid for.

There are people who cruise who don't drink, don't use specialty dining, and would take an interior cabin. Lots of savings there. So, at the end of the day it depends on how you roll. But cruising is a unique experience and cannot be matched by anything else. So we are willing to pay the extras to enjoy that.

Whilst I'm not disagreeing with your comments I just thought that I could add that you can get "Adult only" cruise ships. I know P&O do them, many others may as well, I haven't checked as I have a child.

For the patient traveler with the flexibility to travel last minute and/or who can travel during non-peak seasons there are some bargains out there. If you can travel to the Caribbean in early Dec. you will find prices about 1/2 (sometimes less) than what they are over the holidays or spring break. Same with traveling to Alaska in May/June or September. Also, older ships are often substantially less than the latest and greatest. Yes, a few years ago when the economy tanked there were incredible bargains to be had, but as the economy rebounds the cruise lines are trying to recoup and hopefully most passengers have a few more disposable rubles to support their cruise habit.

I view cruising as a former bargain - not now.

Cruise lines have systematically reduced their product offering while increasing prices. Further, the degradation trend is ongoing. So when you book you will likely not receive the product you purchased.

While there is nothing remiss in increased prices due to inflation etc, the price increases have been well above this - but it is supply and demand and the impact of what is known in marketing as the "obedient consumer" syndrome. This syndrome is demonstrated repeatedly on CC with posters complaining about reduced product but still having X cruises booked.

Our household does not cruise nearly as much as before and we will not purchase any cruise product from a cruise line that consistently degrades their product offering.

Agree......there have been many cut backs in cruises compared when we first started cruising....cruise lines are getting smart like the airlines and learning to unbundle things that use to be free when flying and charge for them now....ie, luggage, seat choice, entertainment, free food in economy, ticketing....etc.......they have increased their profits by billions without adding anything really for the customer.....:cool: