Is crusing still a bargin ?

flyers1976

We just did a 7 week camping trip through Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, and Alaska. Was 7 weeks of camping cheaper than a 7 week cruise? Without a doubt. Did we thoroughly enjoy the trip? Yes we did. Does that mean we won't cruise because it's more expensive? Nope. Leaving in just under 2 weeks for a 28 day cruise.

Whether cruising is a "bargain" or not doesn't factor into whether or not we cruise. We cruise because we love to do so.

Good for you Princess Luver. I am curious about your name though. Presumably, given your recent responses, it isn't a love of the cruise line so, presumably you love an actual Princess?

I never said we did not like Princess or cruising......I was just stating that in my opinion it is not always a bargain like some people claim....there are many articles and websites on how to travel in style using different travel award programs for almost little or nothing.....and I do have a wonderful Princess too :).....we travel all the time and do many different kinds of traveling......:halo:

I am here to tell all fellow CC members that I am Travel Rewards Program Addict, but I have been addiction free for three years.(I stayed out of the gutter and never couchsurfed)

I had to give up Travel rewards programs because I was addicted to free flights, hotels, meals and the like. My wife made me stop the insanity after I had banked over 20 flights each. We have slowly used up these flights and I have promised never to go back to the ways of the the addict again. (I still have a cash back credit card)

I would encourage anyone who has a TRPA to seek help.

BTW: Don't tempt my addiction by posting travel rewards program deals and tricks. Thank You

Edited by neverbeenhere
to add a bit

I am here to tell all fellow CC members that I am Travel Rewards Program Addict, but I have been addiction free for three years.(I stayed out of the gutter and never couchsurfed)

I had to give up Travel rewards programs because I was addicted to free flights, hotels, meals and the like. My wife made me stop the insanity after I had banked over 20 flights each. We have slowly used up these flights and I have promised never to go back to the ways of the the addict again. (I still have a cash back credit card)

In my world nothing is FREE. Somewhere , someplace you had to buy something to get a free flight, hotel or whatever -

You must spend a lot of money on stuff in order to get that many "free" flights. I don't think we could afford to get that much "free" stuff! As it is all of our purchases (except for gasoline) go on the credit card. Groceries, utilities, phones, etc. Gas in California is usually 10 cents per gallon more expensive if purchased using credit so we don't put the gas on the card. It was nice on our recent 7 week camping trip through other states and then through several provinces in Canada and up into Alaska because gas was one price whether cash/debit or credit. I wish it was that way here at home as I'd love to put the gas on the credit card as well.

You must spend a lot of money on stuff in order to get that many "free" flights. I don't think we could afford to get that much "free" stuff! As it is all of our purchases (except for gasoline) go on the credit card. Groceries, utilities, phones, etc. Gas in California is usually 10 cents per gallon more expensive if purchased using credit so we don't put the gas on the card. It was nice on our recent 7 week camping trip through other states and then through several provinces in Canada and up into Alaska because gas was one price whether cash/debit or credit. I wish it was that way here at home as I'd love to put the gas on the credit card as well.

I'm an addict! I put my car and house insurance on my Sapphire card. I put my property taxes on too. Anything that doesn't cost extra, including the down payment of my car! I charge gift cards at the market and get free gas, along with charge credit points at places I plan on spending. Sometimes I have a lot of points so I take cash back. I suggested several friends get the card and I get points when they join up!

Doris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will go on a cruise if we get a lot of OBC's (several thousand dollars worth). Otherwise we like flying free international first class, staying in hotels for free and getting free rental cars. None of this you can really do cruising.....but I guess free laundry is a turn on to many Princess cruisers and yes we get free laundry too.....it has been our experience while cruising that most passengers know very little about how to access free travel and beneficial travel reward programs....:cool:
If you can do all these things using frequent traveler credits, then I will go out on a limb and say that the cost of a cruise probably doesn't matter to you.

If, however, one is retired, flies infrequently, then many of these travel awards magically expire and disappear. We had award level points on one airline, but our most recent travel has been by another airline (because of direct flights to SFO) or by car for cruises out of Galveston. Those travel awards are gone now, but our Princess loyalty credits still accrue and don't expire.

So we will look for bargains that still meet our needs for a healthy relaxing vacation. Princess Cruises meets those needs. The airfare and land hotels and outrageous dining costs in Ft. Lauderdale often cost more than the cruise.

Don't really care if a cruise is a "bargain" or not. We cruise because we enjoy cruising and we would be bored stiff at an all inclusive resort. We're not pool or beach people. Nothing better than sitting on a cruise ship balcony watching the sea go by.

Agree. I've had people kind of freak out when I told them our next cruise has 18 sea days. They can't imagine being "trapped" or "stuck" on a ship for so long. We are looking forward to it. :)

Agree. I've had people kind of freak out when I told them our next cruise has 18 sea days. They can't imagine being "trapped" or "stuck" on a ship for so long. We are looking forward to it. :)

That would be a dream cruise for us.

Hank

If you can do all these things using frequent traveler credits, then I will go out on a limb and say that the cost of a cruise probably doesn't matter to you..

This is correct and we usually take cruises of 20 days or longer......also.....which many people may not be aware of.... if you are/or were a very frequent traveler (fly at least 1,000,000 miles) the airlines, for example will give you lifetime status which helps tremendously build miles and earn perks. Certain hotels will do it also. So there is more then one way to skin a trip.....:D:D

Loved reading this thread. Can cruising be a bargain? Yes & No. Can road tripping be cheaper? Yes & No. One of our road trips, which we both say was one of our favorite trips, cost a lot more than several of our cruises.

Scariest part of this thread for me is I am currently booked on my first RCL, not happy to hear of all of the nickle & dime-ing. Oh well, you do what you got to do!

Well so for more people think that cruising a good value holiday ( sort of like bargain = offered for sale much more cheaply than is usual or expected ) about 20 for yes and about 14 for no.

Either you want to go on a cruise or you don't, and most people would consider cost, to choose length of cruise and what sort of cabin.

Is it a bargain ? well it is up to the person...... and remember it is a holiday and if it is too dear stay at home.

time for a G&T

Don

I have to agree with the people who say bargain or not, cruising is our kind of vacation...I've had to explain to family that cruising is the way we choose to use our vacation time and dollars.

Them: "But what about Air BnB?"

Me: "NO, we just really enjoy cruises; the hotel travels with us, and we wake up in new places"

Them: "What about a timeshare with us?"

Me: "Again, NO! Even sea days are treasured by us; it's a traveling resort."

We discovered cruising in the mid-2000's and were hooked...I know it's different strokes for different folks, but cruising is our "stroke" :D:D

I have to agree with the people who say bargain or not, cruising is our kind of vacation...I've had to explain to family that cruising is the way we choose to use our vacation time and dollars.

Them: "But what about Air BnB?"

Me: "NO, we just really enjoy cruises; the hotel travels with us, and we wake up in new places"

Them: "What about a timeshare with us?"

Me: "Again, NO! Even sea days are treasured by us; it's a traveling resort."

We discovered cruising in the mid-2000's and were hooked...I know it's different strokes for different folks, but cruising is our "stroke" :D:D

Heh... I totally agree with you.

One more comment from me. I love to explore everywhere and anywhere, 65+ countries most land based touring either independently or group tour. That being said, it isn't always fun moving every night..packing & never really unpacking which is why to this day even as cruisers we are carry-on only.

As we ahh...get more experienced AKA age we have found we still can explore while cruising and we only need to unpack ONCE!!! Yea!!! Since you can only see so much in one day in port we never truly mind hitting the same ports on different cruises,

As long as the trip be it cruise, tour, or independent as long as you are happy with the price it is a bargain!

Having had the first leg of our cruise cancelled due to Irma and making a choice of 2 places the airline would send us to, yes cruises are better value. It cost us 50% more to cover hotels, food etc than the cruise was doing. Bargain no but value definitely

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I received an email from Princess on Thursday... talk about bargains! 10 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean - $200 pp! Now that's a SCORE! $20 a night! Amazing!

Nina,

That’s a great deal. But you forgot to tell everyone you have to work 20 of the 24 hrs. a day as a busboy in the HC :D :D.

Tony

We have been avid supporters of cruising and Princess specifically, we love the islands. Is it just me, but it seems over the past 3 years the prices have been going up and up and what you get is less and less. It's not the bargin it used to be and you get nickeled and dimed along the way. I was shocked that we just booked a week at an all inclusive resort, with an ocean front room for 30% less than we were going to pay for our next cruise in January. That is before any shore excursion, alcohol and dinners at the crown gill added on (and then tips). Anyone else see or feel this way? If you currently do not have to fly to get to Ft. Lauderdale, then I can still see some savings. In our case, we are flying anyway.

I think cruising is still a deal... I remember doing our first Mediterranean cruise in late l980s, we paid $7000 for the cruise fare and that was for a limited view cabin, no air, for an 11 day cruise from Venice to LaHavre France... great cruise got us hooked on going to the Mediterranean... since then have gone many times, seen most of the ports. Going out Barcelon this month on a TA back Florida on the Royal, paid $4500, for mini suite, no air, for 14 day cruise. In the late 1980s, set dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR, very few other options. . Today, we do breakfast in our cabin room service, maybe the buffet at lunch, often the Crown Grill at dinner and happy to pay the up charge there. In the l980s you could bring on as much wine as you wished, generally no corking charge... now that has changed a lot. Entertainment on board about the same. Ships are larger, more options in general.

Having over 60 cruises on 9 different lines... I am picky about what we book... Am just as happy to take the Grand Princess out of San Francisco my home port, as to fly to Florida for a cruise, because I have an option. Am booked on the new HAL ship in 2019, out of Ft Lauderdale. Like to check out new ships.

So for us, cruising is still a deal. When we do land trips we do not book all inclusives... generally spend $300/$400 a nigh for hotel, plus meals and other expenses.

The real issue for us in travel is airlines... no service, can't afford first class... but buy premium coach if I can.... now that expensive... for what you get. But sometimes we have fly... make the best of it.

We have been avid supporters of cruising and Princess specifically, we love the islands. Is it just me, but it seems over the past 3 years the prices have been going up and up and what you get is less and less. It's not the bargin it used to be and you get nickeled and dimed along the way. I was shocked that we just booked a week at an all inclusive resort, with an ocean front room for 30% less than we were going to pay for our next cruise in January. That is before any shore excursion, alcohol and dinners at the crown gill added on (and then tips). Anyone else see or feel this way? If you currently do not have to fly to get to Ft. Lauderdale, then I can still see some savings. In our case, we are flying anyway.

I think cruising is still a deal... I remember doing our first Mediterranean cruise in late l980s, we paid $7000 for the cruise fare and that was for a limited view cabin, no air, for an 11 day cruise from Venice to LaHavre France... great cruise got us hooked on going to the Mediterranean... since then have gone many times, seen most of the ports. Going out Barcelon this month on a TA back Florida on the Royal, paid $4500, for mini suite, no air, for 14 day cruise. In the late 1980s, set dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the MDR, very few other options. . Today, we do breakfast in our cabin room service, maybe the buffet at lunch, often the Crown Grill at dinner and happy to pay the up charge there. In the l980s you could bring on as much wine as you wished, generally no corking charge... now that has changed a lot. Entertainment on board about the same. Ships are larger, more options in general.

Having over 60 cruises on 9 different lines... I am picky about what we book... Am just as happy to take the Grand Princess out of San Francisco my home port, as to fly to Florida for a cruise, because I have an option. Am booked on the new HAL ship in 2019, out of Ft Lauderdale. Like to check out new ships.

So for us, cruising is still a deal. When we do land trips we do not book all inclusives... generally spend $300/$400 a nigh for hotel, plus meals and other expenses.

The real issue for us in travel is airlines... no service, can't afford first class... but buy premium coach if I can.... now that expensive... for what you get. But sometimes we have fly... make the best of it.

I received an email from Princess on Thursday... talk about bargains! 10 day cruise to the Southern Caribbean - $200 pp! Now that's a SCORE! $20 a night! Amazing!

Wow, which ship and date?

Is this an interline price?