New policies on Royal Caribbean

Room service charges were instituted for profit only.

Newsflash - everything any for profit company does is for profit. Whether that is something that raises cost (direct profit) or something that makes customers happy (offering future profit from return cruisers or new customers). Charging for room service means the people that want room service pay for the privilege, while others that do not use it do not. Those staff have to be paid in some way. While you may want everything for free (not really free, because it is a for profit company), in the end somebody pays for it. In this case, they are still not making you pay for the food, just the service charge to have it delivered instead of you walking to get it, so you can order 20 plates of food and only pay the one service charge, so it is still a pretty sweet deal.

Newsflash - everything any for profit company does is for profit. Whether that is something that raises cost (direct profit) or something that makes customers happy (offering future profit from return cruisers or new customers). Charging for room service means the people that want room service pay for the privilege, while others that do not use it do not. Those staff have to be paid in some way. While you may want everything for free (not really free, because it is a for profit company), in the end somebody pays for it. In this case, they are still not making you pay for the food, just the service charge to have it delivered instead of you walking to get it, so you can order 20 plates of food and only pay the one service charge, so it is still a pretty sweet deal.

I understand how business works, the person I replied to thought it was a benevolent nod to the staff. That is like saying they will reduce entertainment until there isn't enough room in the remaining venues with entertainers, so they institute a charge to control crowds, for an enhanced customer experience.

They aren't making you pay a service charge, they are making you pay for the food, because you can't have the food without paying the charge. Continental breakfast is free of charge...same amount of work for the server.

I understand how business works, the person I replied to thought it was a benevolent nod to the staff. That is like saying they will reduce entertainment until there isn't enough room in the remaining venues with entertainers, so they institute a charge to control crowds, for an enhanced customer experience.

They aren't making you pay a service charge, they are making you pay for the food, because you can't have the food without paying the charge. Continental breakfast is free of charge...same amount of work for the server.

That makes sense as for the business side. I guess you could say they were making you pay for the food, but since you can walk and get food most of the day for free, and that you can get as much food as you want for one charge, if they are charging for food, then it is more like a very cheaply priced buffet with made to order food, so still a good deal however you look at it.

Some people come and on and think that they should not try to make a profit and seem shocked when the company does something to make money.

That makes sense as for the business side. I guess you could say they were making you pay for the food, but since you can walk and get food most of the day for free, and that you can get as much food as you want for one charge, if they are charging for food, then it is more like a very cheaply priced buffet with made to order food, so still a good deal however you look at it.

I look at it pragmatically for what it is; a charge for what I used to not be charged for. Good deal or not is a matter of opinion.

I look at it pragmatically for what it is; a charge for what I used to not be charged for. Good deal or not is a matter of opinion.

It is a worse deal for those that use it, but better for those that do not use it, as they no longer have to pay for it. I would much rather have people pay for what they use, then to force everybody to subsidize it, which is what was happening before (albeit indirectly).

The bacon and fried eggs were worth the charge and a massive improvement from the previous hot offerings.

We have room service breakfast sitting on our balcony every morning and get a choice of hot and cold items.

I also give a $3 tip to the person who brings it to our cabin.

UK D+ member.

It is a worse deal for those that use it, but better for those that do not use it, as they no longer have to pay for it. I would much rather have people pay for what they use, then to force everybody to subsidize it, which is what was happening before (albeit indirectly).

I really don't feel like I am getting either an enhanced experience, or a cost savings elsewhere. I would agree with your premise of not subsidizing things I don't use, but that's always been the past allure of a cruise vacation. Egalitarianism where most things were inclusive and all treatment the same. That has become heavily fragmented in the past 5 years or so very noticeably.

I do see very short windjammer hours and a reduction in the variety and quality at Cafe Promenade, no doubt in some part to entice a customer towards room service for a charge.

It's not going to make or break my cruise if it is included, but it's another step towards making a cruise just like any other vacation where you are confronted with cost decisions at every point. Constant dollar signs in my face on vacation, and this is me personally, have a detrimental impact on my relaxation and carefree mood. Just another nicety removed. I'm in sales so have a great sniffer for sales BS, and the "enhanced experience" line pegs my meter.

I really don't feel like I am getting either an enhanced experience, or a cost savings elsewhere. I would agree with your premise of not subsidizing things I don't use, but that's always been the past allure of a cruise vacation. Egalitarianism where most things were inclusive and all treatment the same. That has become heavily fragmented in the past 5 years or so very noticeably.

I do see very short windjammer hours and a reduction in the variety and quality at Cafe Promenade, no doubt in some part to entice a customer towards room service for a charge.

It's not going to make or break my cruise if it is included, but it's another step towards making a cruise just like any other vacation where you are confronted with cost decisions at every point. Constant dollar signs in my face on vacation, and this is me personally, have a detrimental impact on my relaxation and carefree mood. Just another nicety removed. I'm in sales so have a great sniffer for sales BS, and the "enhanced experience" line pegs my meter.

I get that, makes sense. I am still fairly new to cruising, so not used to the way it was. I work in IT and have to deal with changes every day, so usually try to see both sides of everything. I figure if a vacation is not fun anymore, I will do something else. I have no real loyalty to any one vacation type.

I get that, makes sense. I am still fairly new to cruising, so not used to the way it was. I work in IT and have to deal with changes every day, so usually try to see both sides of everything. I figure if a vacation is not fun anymore, I will do something else. I have no real loyalty to any one vacation type.

I would say in the past 10 years changes have become very noticeable, with the last 5 years or so really feeling like death by 1000 cuts. So many small, tiny changes that by themselves are no big deal, but take a step back and look at changes just over a 2-3 year period and it becomes significant. Compare 2017 to 2007 and it's eye popping. Go back to 1997 and you might not even recognize it as the same experience.

I've been in sales for 40 years.

No one is forced to get room service but the new hot offerings were worth the money IMO.

UK D+ member.

It's not just Royal charging for room service. Norwegian is also doing and I believe Carnival is charging for certain items

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If there is no change in the food being offered then its unfair but RC cooked breakfast was vastly superior to what it was previously when it was free.

UK D+ member.

Oh, I wasn't assuming corporate benevolence out of kindness to crew! But crew have to be able to do their jobs, and more demands on manpower can equate to more costs for the company. That such a move may also benefit crew is sort of a 'frill,' I suppose.

Richard.

We are currently on Vision of the Seas. It's an older ship, so I asked if these new policies are RC wide or ship wide and was told, sadly they apply to all:

1. There is a CHARGE for room service

2. Even if you buy beverage packages there is an additional charge for in room sodas

3. There is an up charge for "classic" dining options such as steak in main dining room

4. Hair conditioner and hand cream are no longer furnished in bathrooms

We have always believed RC a good value for the money. These nickel and dime policies will make us rethink and will likely cause us to book with a different cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

None of these things (new or not) would make me stop cruising with RC. :hearteyes: