New policies on Royal Caribbean

Wait, so there's not even the dispenser in the shower with shampoo and shower gel anymore? Or is it just the conditioner that's not there anymore? I'm not brand loyal when it comes to hair products, so I don't usually bring any and wonder if I need to now.

There was a shampoo/shower gel dispenser in our bathroom on the Radiance last month. I always bring shampoo, conditioner and a bar of soap.

Also, there was NO surcharge for continental breakfast and or just a carafe of coffee.

Karen

Only suites I think get free room service and hair conditioner

Sent from my Z982 using Forums mobile app

If you are Diamond Plus with 340 pts, you get the better bathroom amenities, shampoo, conditioner and hand cream and maybe body wash too. But, they don't get free room service.

Gwen [emoji3]

I don’t think it was rude at all, if petty little things like the aforementioned concerns are enough to make someone really consider going to another line then so be it. Who doesn’t use soap and conditioner at home? Do you need to take a cruise to get some soap? I bring everything that I will need and all of my toiletries are dispensed into smaller containers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not about any of that. It's about perks, stuff, free things that are no longer while prices increase. Don't you remember the free RCCL bags, hats, visors, shirts, etc that used be in your cabin? We are just saying if they continue to cut, the MDR won't exist and will be turned into suites along the Windows and 12 new speciality restaurants in the middle. The made-at-the-table ceasur salad or baked Alaska disappeared started the decline. Next thing you know you will have to pay for a seapass card! Don't you get ir?

All of those things cost money. The choice is either to raise prices for everybody or charge for the things that not everybody appreciates.

In the end it is your choice whether to stay with cruising our rci, but saying everybody should pay more so you can get a free bag is kind of silly.

You can always go to an all inclusive line and pay for those things, but as evidenced by the number of passengers on main stream line versus the high end lines shows most are not willing to pay for that. Even with those lines, you are probably paying less now than the good old days on main stream lines, possibly it right, but bare minimum once you figure in inflation.

At some point if enough people do not see the value in what they are doing, then their boats will not said full all the time it they will drop rates and/or add other perks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

The silly removal of shampoo, conditioner and lotion is really annoying and not doing the line any favors! Adding a surcharge for room service is just insulting! We always loved that we could order room service from the MDR on HAL for dinner during hours and eat on our deck! I'm sure we have done it on several other lines (Princess, Celebrity?). The nickel and dimeing is annoying and can be a cruise crusher. We have some ships/lines we will not use again just because we did not like the experience or did not feel like we were appreciated - more than that - we were a waste of time. When on a plane, you are getting from point A to point B. If treated poorly or crunched in like a sardine, you know it will be over soon and you will get over it. On a cruise, you do not want THAT experience!

I think the lines should look at the basics and offer them to everyone. Conditioner and lotion are pennies, yet take them away and it costs thousands! Room service saves money in wait staff yet costs many thousands when you take it away.

It's really stupid management! We own 2 companies and understand better than most of these big conglomerates that customer service is what keeps the business strong.

If not getting cheap crappy lotion and conditioner (they still give shampoo and soap) will make you not cruise, then so be it.

As for room service, how could it possibly save the cruise money to have extra people on staff that they have to pay, house, free and insure? You say it lowers wait staff, but how does that work. They don't magically not need the waiters in there mdr cause you decide to order room service.

I have no problem with a small charge for room service, cause I don't use it. I don't want to pay more so you can choose to pay less.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

I don't really understand the fuss. I have NEVER used hotel or cruise line shampoo, conditioner or lotion as I prefer certain brands. I'm guessing I'm in the majority there. When the cruise lines put these in cabins for "free," a lot of people take them just to stock their home guest rooms or donate to the homeless. I really see no value-add in having these things in the room. It seems like a smart business decision to me.

Mini-bar items have never been included in any cruise I've sailed on or hotel I've stayed in. This is no surprise.

While I wasn't thrilled about the addition of the room service fee, I am grateful for the upgraded menu items and better service. Before this change, I sometimes had to wait two hours for room service.

The specialty items on the MDR menu are in ADDITION to all of the other options you have to choose from. If you can't find something you like, you're probably pretty picky. But, if you want steak or lobster, and are willing to pay for it, that's an additional option.

Oh heck, I don't expect any lines to provide most stuff. I have my own things I like for my hair and what not anyway and just bring it. And as far as room service I only use it for coffee. I have seen so many cut backs on a lot of the lines. You just start getting used to it.

We are currently on Vision of the Seas. It's an older ship, so I asked if these new policies are RC wide or ship wide and was told, sadly they apply to all:

1. There is a CHARGE for room service

2. Even if you buy beverage packages there is an additional charge for in room sodas

3. There is an up charge for "classic" dining options such as steak in main dining room

4. Hair conditioner and hand cream are no longer furnished in bathrooms

We have always believed RC a good value for the money. These nickel and dime policies will make us rethink and will likely cause us to book with a different cruise line.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences here.

#4 flat irks me because when I travel elsewhere, and for business, which is decidedly mid-class, modern, non-luxury accommodations, I am used to daily replenishing of toiletries which includes 1 small bar of soap, 1 large bar of soap, individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, mouthwash, shower cap, and moist tissues; even a nice sign in the room indicating if I have forgotten a staple item just ask for a complimentary one at the front desk.

For those that do not cruise very often or do not read this site with some regularity, these changes stick out to them. When they think they are posting something of either minor gripe or trying to be helpful to the community they probably aren't expecting as strong a response as they get.

short version: you are all scaring off the new people. relax.

It's not about any of that. It's about perks, stuff, free things that are no longer while prices increase. Don't you remember the free RCCL bags, hats, visors, shirts, etc that used be in your cabin? We are just saying if they continue to cut, the MDR won't exist and will be turned into suites along the Windows and 12 new speciality restaurants in the middle. The made-at-the-table ceasur salad or baked Alaska disappeared started the decline. Next thing you know you will have to pay for a seapass card! Don't you get ir?

You can pay for a Wow band, and then accessories for it!!!

Yes, I remember all the things you mention. People swear it never existed on RCI. Maybe some of the changes have improved parts of the experience (no more fixed early and late seating breakfast and lunch), but standards and services have gone down. When people lambaste me not wanting to participate in formal night "tradition" I say, make it "traditional" like it was 10, 15, 25 years ago with the best meal of the cruise, multiple courses, not the 3 course meals of today, great service, wine stewards, parades of desserts, sorbet between courses, crumb scrapers, the dinner chimes, a gala midnight buffet (after ice carving shows on deck) fine, I'll throw on a suit and play along. It wasn't all that long ago that most ships in the fleet didn't have a specialty restaurant, if they did it was Portofinos.

Totally agree with you; sooner or later MDR will be dead. Buffet and specialty. Or "meal plans" with an MDR type restaurant pass, etc.

I still use a toiletry kit I got on Explorer back in 2003 for all my travel.

I'd take cutbacks if I saw marked improvements in other areas.

It's new since our last RC cruise and used to not be industry standard. We haven't taken ocean cruise in last 12 months. Last 2 cruises were river cruises. This has been rude awakening.

Mini-bar beverages and upgraded menu items in the MDR have been an additional charge for YEARS.

I went on my first cruise in 2009 and that's how it was then...

Don't you remember the free RCCL bags, hats, visors, shirts, etc that used be in your cabin?

Huh. No. Alaska cruise on radiance 2003, had none of those.

Well, we got a monopack for doing a few walks on deck, but the zipper broke pretty quickly.

We were on Vision in January 2015 and there were no toiletries like the OP expected.

Of course the cans in the room aren't included with a soda package. I'm pretty sure the package info is clear on that.

We're vegetarian so the up charge stuff doesn't affect us, but it's been there for ages. Get the normal stuff for free or get extra stuff for extra.

I don't really understand the fuss. I have NEVER used hotel or cruise line shampoo, conditioner or lotion as I prefer certain brands. I'm guessing I'm in the majority there. When the cruise lines put these in cabins for "free," a lot of people take them just to stock their home guest rooms or donate to the homeless. I really see no value-add in having these things in the room. It seems like a smart business decision to me.

Mini-bar items have never been included in any cruise I've sailed on or hotel I've stayed in. This is no surprise.

While I wasn't thrilled about the addition of the room service fee, I am grateful for the upgraded menu items and better service. Before this change, I sometimes had to wait two hours for room service.

The specialty items on the MDR menu are in ADDITION to all of the other options you have to choose from. If you can't find something you like, you're probably pretty picky. But, if you want steak or lobster, and are willing to pay for it, that's an additional option.

This ^^^^^

I travel a lot. I use the soap in hotels and that is it. Occasionally, I use some lotion if my skin gets very dry.

If you want room service, a small charge is reasonable. No hotel I know of offers free room service. There is a charge. Or if you want free room service, and an expanded room service menu, book a suite. :)

I have been in a couple of hotels with free minibar, but then the prices for the rooms were such that I could empty the minibar 3 times per day and still have lost money. :)

Cruise lines are businesses. And those pennies add up. Say the little shampoo/condition/lotion is 10 cents per day per passenger. So for 6000 passengers, that is $600 per day, times 365 days = $219,000 for ONE SHIP. I will take the savings in the cruise fares for things I do not use.

Also, MDR and speciality restaurants on Grandeur had assistant waiters in August. And service was SUPERB.

People aren't very creative these days. I have no problems with any of those complaints and it certainly wouldn't affect my choice of line. It can all be dealt with fairly easily...

All I do is ask my room steward to bring me lotion or anything else I need, robes etc. It always appears. Ask and ye shall receive:halo:

I have never needed nor wanted a second waiter, but have always had them...even in the specialties. You just don't see them but briefly, if needed. Who cares anyway, as long as the service is good, and it always is.

As for the mini bar in frig, we have been asking that to be removed for years and years, never any charges. We don't understand why it isn't included in the drink package but we don't usually pay for either, we drink on our Diamond status.

I carry a small tube of L'Oreal hair color conditioner, best on the planet, so I can wash my hair with anything provided in the shower. The conditioner does the rest. Heck I have used dish washing liquid on camping trips.

I can still go to any food venue and order take out....they cover it with the plastic hood and I take it to my balcony...no charge. This doesn't bother me a bit, after all, I'm now saving the service charge. We don't order breakfast in cabin, we hate luke warm coffee and eggs. So we prefer to venture out to first breakfast, second breakfast we usually bring back to enjoy in room. The "Classic" menu hasn't changed or been upcharged for ever to my knowledge. The usual NY Strip, chicken and fish are still free. The only upcharges are for Chops steak and lobster to be served in MDR. I do agree the pricing has gone up on specialty restaurants, but so has gasoline,....you expect it to stay stagnant?

I am perfectly satisfied....but whatever floats your boat.

We have always believed RC a good value for the money. These nickel and dime policies will make us rethink and will likely cause us to book with a different cruise line.

You are setting yourself up for more disappointment but I wish you luck in your search for a better deal somewhere else.

No. Think talking about the little bottles you get a DIamond Plus or in Grand Suites and up

We just got off a cruise on Saturday. We are D+ and there were not any shampoo, conditioner, lotion in our balcony cabin. However, we have found on our last 2 cruises the minibar is empty. It has a hang tag that clearly states they will fill it for you. However, the items will be for a fee.

I don't mind that they charge extra for those items . That's because I don't want any of them , so I don't mind that they charge extra to the peeps that want them. That means I don't have to absorb that into my cruise price .

Royal already charges more for the big ships , so they would have to increase the general prices even more.

I don't use room service. On top of what else I eat on a cruise, if I want some pizza from Sorrento's (or something from the Windjammer), I can probably use the exercise to get up and go get it. It would be a different story for some elderly, some handicapped & other people in special situations. That said, from what I understand the ship staff are very busy, work long hours and weeks away from home for months, and have had staffing cutbacks; so imagine you're a room steward with a number of rooms to get 'ship shape' maybe twice/day apiece, and oh, yeah, now your work day (could be off hours?) faces random disruptions as various people get cravings for such-and-such.

If it's not the room steward who brings your food, who does? Those busy wait staff from the MDR? If they need to employee 'free range' servers to hang around for room service calls, that's going to cost money. Seems a charge is fair (those who use it pay, we who don't, don't) and should discourage frivolous over-use.

Part of the pleasure of a cruise may be living like royalty, but some of the people providing it to us are living like peasants.

Richard.

I don't use room service. On top of what else I eat on a cruise, if I want some pizza from Sorrento's (or something from the Windjammer), I can probably use the exercise to get up and go get it. It would be a different story for some elderly, some handicapped & other people in special situations. That said, from what I understand the ship staff are very busy, work long hours and weeks away from home for months, and have had staffing cutbacks; so imagine you're a room steward with a number of rooms to get 'ship shape' maybe twice/day apiece, and oh, yeah, now your work day (could be off hours?) faces random disruptions as various people get cravings for such-and-such.

If it's not the room steward who brings your food, who does? Those busy wait staff from the MDR? If they need to employee 'free range' servers to hang around for room service calls, that's going to cost money. Seems a charge is fair (those who use it pay, we who don't, don't) and should discourage frivolous over-use.

Part of the pleasure of a cruise may be living like royalty, but some of the people providing it to us are living like peasants.

Richard.

Room service charges were instituted for profit only.