Beleize City Help

I know, I know....look in the beleize threads--but they don't really help on what I was looking for.

What RCCL sponsered shore excursions did you do, and what was your experience with it. We are going on a chartered cruise--and would like to take the excursion with RCCL to get to meet more people...but aren't really sure whats great and whats not so great.

So I am really not asking for recommendations--but more what was your experience, and what did you really enjoy!:confused::confused::confused:

A couple of years ago we went on a boat ride up a river for about an hour to some ruins in the jungle. It was very good with the sights on the river and the primitive nature of the ruins that were just being uncovered, not touristized like Tulum. Don't know if they still have it.

I know, I know....look in the beleize threads--but they don't really help on what I was looking for.

What RCCL sponsered shore excursions did you do, and what was your experience with it. We are going on a chartered cruise--and would like to take the excursion with RCCL to get to meet more people...but aren't really sure whats great and whats not so great.

So I am really not asking for recommendations--but more what was your experience, and what did you really enjoy!:confused::confused::confused:

We did the Cave tubing through RCCL ~ we had two teens and we all had a blast! I would definitely have something for this port as there isn't a whole lot to do around the dock area!

Try the Belize board in the Ports of Call section.

We have been to Belize several times. The first time we went to Altun Ha which was okay. The last time we went cave tubing.

We had plannned to use a private vendor, but my DD won an excursion through Carnival so we went with them (and 200 other passengers) instead. We really enjoyed it, but felt it would have been better with a private vendor since we spent a good bnit of time waiting for others on our bus.

If you are interested in local animals and in ecology, you could take the RCI excursion to the Belize zoo. It is NOT a traditional zoo at all, and was begun about 20 years ago as an animal rescue mission. The animals are in VERY large open wire enclosures. The guide we had was extremely knowledgable. If you opt for this, bring your own bottled water and some insect spray. This area is in the jungle about a 35 minute bus ride from the Belize pier. We enjoyed this very much a couple of years ago. Got some great CLOSE pictures of a native jaguar and other animals. One warning: this is these animals home and if they are napping somewhere out of sight, no one is going to roust them out for folks to see. So you may not see every animal there! Our guide was very helpful in pointing out where to look to see some of these "hidden" animals and birds. Then there are a few smaller enclosures near the exit where you can see some of the most common native species up close i.e. sloths, howler monkeys and macaws.

We have been to Belize 3 times - first time we did the river ride to Lamani - it was OK - second time we did cave tubing - a bit better - this past Nov. - we did Caye Caulker - we loved it - it is so laid back - beautiful - enjoyable - several bars and resturants - but, very primitive - very inexpensive - nothing fancy - just fun - the real Belize.

Archived