Another Cooler Question

TidePrideGA

Sorry guys - we're down to the nitty gritty and I still have questions!

I know this will seem like a lot to y'all, but we're bringing a 12-pack of soda each (3 of us) and we're trying to figure out the best way to carry it. DH is insisting on bringing a rolling cooler (one of the larger type), which is mostly a good idea, I think. My questions are:

1) Can a 48-qt cooler be carried on? Will it fit through the security scanner and if it didn't, what would happen?

2) Any other ideas for bringing the soda? I've tried to figure out a way to give it to the stevedores but can't think of an easy solution.

And allow me to take this opportunity to thank each of you who is so helpful to newbies. 6 months ago I knew NOTHING about cruising - now I feel like I am sooooo prepared, and it's all thanks to you guys! Kudos!

On the cruises I have been on, I do not recall ever seeing someone bring on a 48 qt. cooler. I am sure that someone has at least tried it but I have never seen it.

Are you sure you want to take up that much of your limited cabin space with a cooler? Is it really worth all that trouble?

We just got off the Westerdam last week. We bought a soda card for $28 and thought it was a good deal. I didn't have to go through all the trouble of carrying heavy cans of soda and I could get a fresh glass of soda at most any place on the ship at anytime. We used to bring soda onboard but I like to have a care-free vacation so we dropped dealing with that years ago.

If you still want lug all that soda on board, be aware that if you have a Veranda cabin or higher, you will have a small refrigerator in your cabin. That would make a cooler something that just takes up a lot of space in your cabin.

Just one person's point of view.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the Westerdam. It is a beautiful ship.

I know that this will probably not be much help now, as you are so close to your departure date, but we contact our TA, and she has them delivered to the cabin for us. My DH prefers diet Pepsi, and he orders the number he thinks that he will need, and they have always been waiting in our cabin or delivered shortly after arrival. It will be added to your onboard account, but it sure beats lugging them on yourself.

My family prefers Pepsi also. We took 2 12 packs, taped them up, put a luggage sticker on them and they were delivered to our cabin. Also did this with water. Hope this helps.

Linda

That's an awfully large cooler as all the others have suggested.

KK had a good idea or how about bringing a six pack each and bring more aboard when you get to ports.

I don't know your itinerary but surely you will find pepsi in various ports and can bring more aboard when you need to replenish what you have used up.

You don't really need to store them in a cooler, do you? Your steward will bring you all the ice you want and you can simply pour your sodas on ice to have them cold.

We usually bring a small amount of soda on board and either buy a soda card or pick up more soda while in port. It sure beats lugging it on board.

We have brought a soft packable cooler to keep things cool while off the ship.

I can't even imagine the look of my husband if I suggested bring a cooler that had wheels.

Thanks, everyone! I think DH came up with a new solution that will work - one of his old army duffle bags, and then we'll check them.

Just FYI, we bring our own primarily because I drink TAB and it's very hard to find.... we definitely wouldn't be able to find it in port, in addition to which, we're not actually in a port until the 4th day (not counting HMC).

Another idea here---Tab is a Coca Cola product, which is what HAL serves. Is there time to have your TA contact HAL to have some TAB on-loaded for your cruise? That way you wouldn't need to lug it.

Sorry guys - we're down to the nitty gritty and I still have questions!

I know this will seem like a lot to y'all, but we're bringing a 12-pack of soda each (3 of us) and we're trying to figure out the best way to carry it. DH is insisting on bringing a rolling cooler (one of the larger type), which is mostly a good idea, I think. My questions are:

1) Can a 48-qt cooler be carried on? Will it fit through the security scanner and if it didn't, what would happen?

2) Any other ideas for bringing the soda? I've tried to figure out a way to give it to the stevedores but can't think of an easy solution.

And allow me to take this opportunity to thank each of you who is so helpful to newbies. 6 months ago I knew NOTHING about cruising - now I feel like I am sooooo prepared, and it's all thanks to you guys! Kudos!

Ouch!

Best suggestion? Leave the big cooler at home. Too big, too heavy.. it will be a nuisance to everyone including you... getting it on and off the ship. Bad idea to put ice in it before you leave home.... what will you do with the melted ice? I'm having horrible visions of a big cooler sitting on the carpet in your cabin leaking water for several day and generally making a mess... and possibly causing damage to the carpet. Hey... you could be held responsible!!!!!

If you are that desperate to have the cooler, just take along a small hand held cooler, enough for perhaps a six pack. Don't over do it. If you want to bring the solda on board easily, just leave it in it's carboard crate... wrap some tape around it and then slap a baggage label with all your details on it.... name... cabin number etc... and give it to the stevedores with your baggage.

If this is your first cruise... take it easy... don't bother with all this hassle. For the sake of savibng a few dollars on the cost of the sodas you are giving yourself a lot of work... and like I said, a big wet cooler in your cabin will be a pain in the neck. I can hear you and now aat the end of your cruise says, "What the heck did we bring THAT thing for?"

Have fun!

Stephen

I can see why they want to bring their own especially if they are Pepsi drinkers. I was soooo disappointed on my first HAL cruise that they didn't have Pepsi products and I bought a card before I knew they had only coke. My husband retired after 41 years with Pepsi and YES we are a Pepsi family so now I just drink Ice Tea for my caffiene fix. I am not a coffee drinker:( I remember seeing Pepsi in some of the ports we have been to and I would make a Beeline to get one. I sure wish HAL had Pepsi.

Kathy

Kathy, years ago they had a "Pepsi Challenge" in the parking lot of a local store. They were giving coupons if you could tell which was Pepsi and which was, uh, not. I tasted the first one, stated THAT was Pepsi, and asked for my coupon. They wanted me to at least taste the other one, but I said no. I KNOW my Pepsi! Got my coupon! :D

I can see why they want to bring their own especially if they are Pepsi drinkers. I was soooo disappointed on my first HAL cruise that they didn't have Pepsi products and I bought a card before I knew they had only coke. My husband retired after 41 years with Pepsi and YES we are a Pepsi family so now I just drink Ice Tea for my caffiene fix. I am not a coffee drinker:( I remember seeing Pepsi in some of the ports we have been to and I would make a Beeline to get one. I sure wish HAL had Pepsi.

Kathy

Oh dear... so many complants. What next?!!!!! ;)

Kathy, the only ship that I have sailed on that uses Pepsi... instead of Coke is Saga Cruises, SAGA ROSE. Not sure why but I think it could because they can get Pepsi in very small cans... small enough to make a mixed drink without leaving a half empty can behind the bar.

Anyhow, I've never heard anyone complain on the SAGA ROSE that they could not get Coke. Personally I prefer the Pepsi.

Stephen

I knew this was going to happen. Those who are serious soda drinkers would get it - and those who aren't, wouldn't.

To Stephen: While I agree that the size/hassle is an issue, the "leaking cooler" isn't. Although we are not experienced cruisers, we ARE experienced travellers - just trust me when I tell you no cooler we brought would have leaked and done damage to the carpet.

As stated above, we have decided against the cooler and have found an alternative way to bring the sodas on board with much less hassle and still with a secure feeling *for us* (and at the end of the day isn't it all about what YOU are comfortable with that doesn't negatively impact others - and don't we all have different comfort levels to which we are entitled.

I still love each and every one of you for your advide and knowledge!

I knew this was going to happen. Those who are serious soda drinkers would get it - and those who aren't, wouldn't.

To Stephen: While I agree that the size/hassle is an issue, the "leaking cooler" isn't. Although we are not experienced cruisers, we ARE experienced travellers - just trust me when I tell you no cooler we brought would have leaked and done damage to the carpet.

Please forgive my comments! My only experience with coolers are the coolers that my brother Andrew in Bermuda uses for keeping fish in to transport from 'boat to restaurant'. Some of his coolers were built about the time of the Ark. Open the lid and all you get the smell of fish. Go fishing with him and the sodas he takes along are kept in the same ice as the fish. By the end of the day if you want a soda you have to reach into a coooler full of fish. I was having visions of some old fish cooler being carried up the gangway...... :eek:

My worst cooler experience...... I was hoping to take the boston whaler out for the afternoon ... several years ago. Unfortunately the whaler was moored in such a way that I could not pull the stern close enough to the dock to get into the boat.... with the engine raised, the stern was still about six foot from the dock. The little punt we normally used was not available. I spotted one of brother's big coolers on the dock and figured it would make an ideal punt. Heck, all I had to do was move about six feet. I managed to climb into the cooler... floating alongside the dock. With the lid open I couldn't quite figure how I was going to maintain balance and row as well. All this time my nephew was sitting on the dock shaking his head. Finally I cot up enough courage to 'shove off'. As soon as I let go from the dock the cooler rolled violently to starboard and within two second I was in the drink .... arm and side all grazed from the stone dock... 1 pack of cigarettes and lighter ruined... and my pride in tatters. The nephew still teases me about it. Now you know why I'm 'anti cooler'!!!!

Stephen

Stephen: Now THAT is one hysterical story! We all say we are "LOL - laughing out loud" - I really was!

No, we're not talking old fish cooler, make-shift punt, or even new-fangled nylon "every single one leaks" cooler here - but the mental images will be enduring, I promise you!

Just allow me to make clear - this was DH's idea, not mine - I take no responsibility and we have come up with a logical alternative!

I'm still LOL!

Stephen: Now THAT is one hysterical story! We all say we are "LOL - laughing out loud" - I really was!

No, we're not talking old fish cooler, make-shift punt, or even new-fangled nylon "every single one leaks" cooler here - but the mental images will be enduring, I promise you!

Just allow me to make clear - this was DH's idea, not mine - I take no responsibility and we have come up with a logical alternative!

I'm still LOL!

:o

Hey... just make your sure DH doesn't think that that big cooler might come in useful as a spare lifeboat... should the need arise!!!!! :eek:

Have fun on WESTERDAM... lovely ship... and let us all know when you get back how you enjoyed the cruise. Hope you do anyway. First cruises are always the best... and never forgotten!

Stephen

I guess I am one of those who aren't :) I am glad neither my wife nor I are wedded to one brand of soda that we would have to go through all those gyrations.

Good luck with the duffle bag trick. I agree with most that you would be tripping over the cooler. :eek:

chasetf, definitately NOT a Pepsi! We're from Atlanta - we don't DO Pepsi! It's TAB (a coke product but a rather obscure one) I can't get on the ship :rolleyes:

I'm a little surprised at all of the "tripping over" comments. Even though we've abandoned the idea, I would have thought an SS was large enough to accomodate something with a footprint of about 1.5' x 3

We leave in less than 24 hours!!! YAY!

Archived