Anthem: New Evening Dress Code - MALL WEAR

compman9

To each his own. If dressing down is your style then go for it. My wife and I prefer to look good at all times especially at dinner. I just don't appreciate when folks look like they are going to Mc Donalds when they walk into a beautiful dining venue. Kinda cheapens the evening

Fred

I can understand that and respect that. And agree for the most part.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

The last time I wore my tux on a cruise (2015?) I was only one of a handful. I have no plans to bring it or any "dress up" clothes on my Allure cruise in Jan. In fact, we're skipping the whole MDR entirely and just going for a casual trip.

My wife and I are somewhat disappointed in the direction that things are headed, but it is what it is. We have a long list of things that disappoint us on every cruise that we take, but it's not enough to make us stop cruising. We just adapt and remember the "good old years" (I'm only 40 hehe). We have felt that service has gone down hill on just about every cruise since our 2nd or 3rd ( early 2000s). Then we'll get a waiter or some staff member that just blows it out of the park and it's all better. We try not to base our view of the trip on a few people (waiters, assistant waiters, head waiters, cabin stewards, etc...) because we know that they are only 1 of hundreds (thousands?) that are onboard trying to give people what they want.

You can please all of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you CAN'T please ALL of the people ALL of the time! :)

I will offer this observation:

I do not have to dress up in a tuxedo to eat at most of the finest restaurants in the world. Maybe a sport coat, but not a tux.

I don't see why the main dining room on the ship should be any different than a night out at Nobu, Bouchon, or Commander's Palace. (The first two are "smart casual." CP prescribes business attire and "prefers" jackets for men; jeans are prohibited but ties are not required.)

Besides, the main dining room is banquet food at best. It's not fine dining.

Call me a killjoy, but I don't really get a thrill out of putting on a tie, and think that it's entirely possible to dress up and look nice without one.

I have an idea and I'm being very serious here. If you miss and long for the dress code on the great ocean liners of yesteryear such as Titanic and Lustitania then just go sail on Cunard. They have maintained that style for the most part. I just do not, for the life of me understand the fighting that goes on with threads like this.

Questions relating to your post:

1. Who said anything about ancient dress codes - the post related to the deteriorating standards despite the cruise line maintaining its clothing requirement descriptions?

2. Why would anyone want to choose a cruise line with few facilities (Cunard) over one they have cruised with many times with better facilities (RCI)?

3. Why do you so abhor a comment that opposes your own that you would effectively tell someone to go elsewhere because what you want is right - example: If you want to dress scruffily why don't you pitch a tent in a mall and let cruise liens maintain the standards, of, oh, I don't know - just two years ago?

I will offer this observation:

I do not have to dress up in a tuxedo to eat at most of the finest restaurants in the world. Maybe a sport coat, but not a tux.

I don't see why the main dining room on the ship should be any different than a night out at Nobu, Bouchon, or Commander's Palace. (The first two are "smart casual." CP prescribes business attire and "prefers" jackets for men; jeans are prohibited but ties are not required.)

Besides, the main dining room is banquet food at best. It's not fine dining.

Call me a killjoy, but I don't really get a thrill out of putting on a tie, and think that it's entirely possible to dress up and look nice without one.

I appreciate your view, so may I ask why you chose cruising as a vacation option when you knew the dress code when you started?

On my recent two Anthem cruises there were three different clothing descriptive terms used for appropriate evening wear

1. Casual

2. Formal

3. Smart Casual (which added sports coats, suits and dresses to provide descriptive clarity)

My Casual is very smart jeans and polo shirt or trousers and a shirt - For others it was beach shorts, cap sleeve T-shirts and flip flops

I came here to say this exactly.

Shoes alone take up a huge amount of space + weight.

Back in the day, you could bring 2 70lb bags for free. Now you want everything to fit in one 49lb bag.

Swimwear, tshirts, etc are required.

Formal wear just doesnt make the cut.

An interesting quote:

For my 14 day cruise experience I took

1. Sufficient underwear for every day

2. Two suits

3. A Sport Coat

4. Four pairs of trousers

5. A shirt for every night

4. A T or Polo Shirt for every day

5. A pullover

6. Four pairs of shoes

7. Gym-wear including tracksuit top and bottoms

8. A coat

9. Three more pairs of shorts than I needed!

10. Toiletries, razor, glasses, sunscreen etc.

During my trip I bought two pairs of jeans and two more polo shirts

21.8 kilos

I hear this luggage weight argument often, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny for me, espcially as my wife took 14 dresses her case was lighter

Questions relating to your post:

1. Who said anything about ancient dress codes - the post related to the deteriorating standards despite the cruise line maintaining its clothing requirement descriptions?

2. Why would anyone want to choose a cruise line with few facilities (Cunard) over one they have cruised with many times with better facilities (RCI)?

3. Why do you so abhor a comment that opposes your own that you would effectively tell someone to go elsewhere because what you want is right - example: If you want to dress scruffily why don't you pitch a tent in a mall and let cruise liens maintain the standards, of, oh, I don't know - just two years ago?

That's all very funny.

My husband used to always wear his kilt, but flying from Scotland with limited baggage allowance and doing a week in Florida beforehand it just isn't viable anymore.

we tend to just take trousers and shirts and dresses and stick with the Windjammer

Love seeing a man in a kilt--handsome--but can certainly understand not bringing it. However, you certainly don't need to confine yourself to the Windjammer: any sort of dress you could conceivably cover your bodies with is now common in the MDR.

An interesting quote:

For my 14 day cruise experience I took

1. Sufficient underwear for every day

2. Two suits

3. A Sport Coat

4. Four pairs of trousers

5. A shirt for every night

4. A T or Polo Shirt for every day

5. A pullover

6. Four pairs of shoes

7. Gym-wear including tracksuit top and bottoms

8. A coat

9. Three more pairs of shorts than I needed!

10. Toiletries, razor, glasses, sunscreen etc.

During my trip I bought two pairs of jeans and two more polo shirts

21.8 kilos

I hear this luggage weight argument often, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny for me, espcially as my wife took 14 dresses her case was lighter

Was your stuff made of paper. lol

As I explained in my original post, I believe it a shame, but if cruise lines have bowed to the pressure of their customers I will also make sure I dress scruffily as well - that way I will feel less self conscious in an enclosed environment

Sounds like problem solved. People dress how they like, and you don't feel self-conscious. Everybody wins, right?

If you were truly surprised by the decline in formal wear (which I doubt, since it's common knowledge even if you haven't cruised in a while), then now at least your eyes are wide open. If you choose to cruise RC again and don't like the way your fellow passengers are dressed, that's on you.

Laughing at this thread as I don't care what others wear on cruises or anywhere else. Wanted to update the definition of "Mall Wear" though. It now mostly consists of yoga pants and workout wear on people who have not been to and/ or have no intention of going to the gym. Hahahaha.

Laughing at this thread as I don't care what others wear on cruises or anywhere else. Wanted to update the definition of "Mall Wear" though. It now mostly consists of yoga pants and workout wear on people who have not been to and/ or have no intention of going to the gym. Hahahaha.

I have to laugh--are malls still in existence! Also, don't leave out ladies with pajama bottoms walking around.

Sounds like problem solved. People dress how they like, and you don't feel self-conscious. Everybody wins, right?

If you were truly surprised by the decline in formal wear (which I doubt, since it's common knowledge even if you haven't cruised in a while), then now at least your eyes are wide open. If you choose to cruise RC again and don't like the way your fellow passengers are dressed, that's on you.

Aah, the call a poster a liar routine because you don't agree with their point of view

Having not been on a short RCI cruise from the US before, I was greatly surprised

As for how I will dress in future - while I still enjoying RCI cruise I will indeed alter my cruise wardrobe accordingly, so thank you for your polite advice

As I said in my original post, it was an observation not a judgement :*

It's been a while since my last short RCI trip, but on a 5 day to Bermuda last week, I saw something that surprised me

I know a lot of Americans no longer want to 'dress up' but the days of classy cruising have clearly finally disappeared. I was one of just 6 tux wearers on formal night (there may have been more, but in the theatre and main dining room, plus everywhere else we walked that night, that is all I saw). There were also very few ordinary suits

It seems that shorts and T-shirts are now de-rigueur in the main dining room for some, and the main dress code appears to be Jeans and a polo shirt. Or, just what people might wear to the mall

The 9 day to Canada I disembarked from yesterday was a little less scruffy and a fair few more people made more of an effort. I find it a bit of a shame, but customer is king and if that's what the current passenger wants I will also dress down in future

Flame away folks

Just two words...who cares....:rolleyes:

I also think part of it is a general changing of what is considered formal dress. For example, I have a lot of people mentioning jeans and polo; to me that's special business attire. If we are expecting clients to come into the office and I don't have a direct meeting with them I'll break out a polo shirt and jeans. If I'm actually meeting with a client I'll pull out the khaki's and a button up shirt. Adding on a tie and/or a suit jacket? That's something that pretty much requires me meeting 1-on-1 with a C Level Executive or a major major client.

I actually bought a suit jacket when I was interviewing and after the first interview management actually told me to dress down for the next interview; it was awkward having a candidate showing up in a suit and tie when even the board of directors rarely dressed up that much. I'm sure it's different in different industries, but a lot of places I've interviewed and worked at business casual is now what a lot of people consider just plain casual.

I also think part of it is a general changing of what is considered formal dress. For example, I have a lot of people mentioning jeans and polo; to me that's special business attire. If we are expecting clients to come into the office and I don't have a direct meeting with them I'll break out a polo shirt and jeans. If I'm actually meeting with a client I'll pull out the khaki's and a button up shirt. Adding on a tie and/or a suit jacket? That's something that pretty much requires me meeting 1-on-1 with a C Level Executive or a major major client.

I actually bought a suit jacket when I was interviewing and after the first interview management actually told me to dress down for the next interview; it was awkward having a candidate showing up in a suit and tie when even the board of directors rarely dressed up that much. I'm sure it's different in different industries, but a lot of places I've interviewed and worked at business casual is now what a lot of people consider just plain casual.

As I think about it, I bought 3 suits and then my company (Consulting) went to full casual from only "Casual Friday's." Competition dress standards pressured company to basically comply.

On our upcoming cruise (Ovation of the Seas) we can prebook our dining but have no idea which nights will be formal. We have no intention of wearing formal clothes, just smart clothing ie, dress for me and trousers and collared shirt for him. Is this kind of clothing sufficient to eat out on formal night. We cruised with Cunard earlier this year and that was way too stuffy for us! You couldn't even go to the show without a jacket or even walk around the ship after 6pm (even though it was hot and the middle of summer). Everywhere was out of bounds except the Lido buffet.