Why do people want to get on ship early?

KayKay18

Omgosh!!! Interesting boarding story!

So last week we were scheduled for our cruise and chose the late boarding time that I love so much! We drove 6 hours to the port and I then realized I forgotten a piece of ID. Had I chosen the earlier time, we would have realized I was missing my ID at check in and my husband could have brought it to me and we could have boarded.

Instead no cruise, no boarding, no refund and lesson learned remember ALL of your ID and in the event that something is amiss, an earlier boarding time gives you more time to work with!!!

(y):ship:

My vacation doesn't start when my rooms ready, it starts when I board the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly! :cool:

It's nice to wander around the ship, get an idea of the layout, grab some lunch and/or a drink. If you have kids with you, they are probably ready to check out the pool as soon as possible. Getting into the cabin is way down on our list of "things to do" when we step on to the cruise ship.

My checking in time is 12:30-1:00 and that seems fine to me. But I would like to know why anyone would want to check in early. If your room will not be ready until 1 or later. Why get on early.

Your cruise starts the minute you step foot on the ship, why wait? I'm Platinum now (before had FTTF) and my suite always was ready. We love heading to the room, going out on the balcony, and taking in a deep breath of the ocean air. We beat the crowds to lunch, enjoy a couple of cocktails, and take care of any details. We always get on early. If you don't want to do that, then don't.

I do not understand why it matters to you if I am first on the ship and you are last, I could care less. Just like you should care less if I am the first at the bar while you're the last zone to board. Ill make sure I drink a couple for you especially since your patiently waiting to get on the boat. :cool:

I can’t help but wonder why anyone would obsess over this. You don’t want to board early? Fine - pick a later time that suits you. What do you care when the rest of us board? It’s not like we’re dragging you onto the ship with us?

Couldn’t believe when I saw this on John Heald’s page earlier. Have we heard from KayKay18 since the first post?

Omgosh!!! Interesting boarding story!

So last week we were scheduled for our cruise and chose the late boarding time that I love so much! We drove 6 hours to the port and I then realized I forgotten a piece of ID. Had I chosen the earlier time, we would have realized I was missing my ID at check in and my husband could have brought it to me and we could have boarded.

Instead no cruise, no boarding, no refund and lesson learned remember ALL of your ID and in the event that something is amiss, an earlier boarding time gives you more time to work with!!!

(y):ship:

My DH insists on being early for everything - usually real early. Number of years ago, we were flying. We got to the airport and he realized he left the tickets on the kitchen counter. We were early enough for him to drive home (45 min - 1 hour) and get back before they started boarding.

Luckily enough it was pre-911 so we were able to wait at the gate. What he thought we could do without the tickets I have no idea [emoji849]

Pays to leave lots of time!

My DH insists on being early for everything - usually real early. Number of years ago, we were flying. We got to the airport and he realized he left the tickets on the kitchen counter. We were early enough for him to drive home (45 min - 1 hour) and get back before they started boarding.

Luckily enough it was pre-911 so we were able to wait at the gate. What he thought we could do without the tickets I have no idea [emoji849]

Pays to leave lots of time!

What tickets did you forget?

I think it's pretty sad that anyone would think that it's not worth being on a ship unless there is some activity scheduled. Really? You can't entertain yourself for a couple of hours? You can't enjoy some down time with the person/people you're traveling with? I don't get it.

So do you stay on the ship as long as possible the last day...since you can entertain yourself for a couple hours?

Seems those that want to get on ASAP also want to get off ASAP.

So do you stay on the ship as long as possible the last day...since you can entertain yourself for a couple hours?

Getting on is different. It’s a happy time and I love the vibe of the ship. Usually I’ve been planning a long time for that moment.

Contrast that to when it’s time to leave. The room stewards need to get in and clean for the next guests, vacation is over so you might as well get off the ship. There’s nothing happy about the last day so I get up early and get off the ship ASAP. Why delay the inevitable? I also allows me to get an early flight and make my way home. There’s nothing worth being onboard for the last day. It’s a very sad time.

Yes. We drive to the port since we live a couple of hours away, so no flights to catch. We have a nice leisurely breakfast and wait for the crowds to die down. No reason to deal with the long lines and all the people crammed into the hallways. We only have a couple of carry ons, so we take them to breakfast with us. Not in a hurry to get in the traffic either. We can find a quiet place to sit and talk or people watch. Let the cruise last as long as possible... real life can wait.

With us, it depends on whether or not we're close and coming directly from home.

Hubby works nights, so typically we leave when he gets home from work for a close cruise in Jax or Port Canaveral. Platinum gets us on early, so we will pick up a quick snack on the way to the room. He has a nap, and I go explore until it's time to come back and wake him up for muster drill.

Getting off, it depends. We either shoot for first or last off. First off if I'm going to work, last off if not.

If he is not working the night before, we head for the port area and get a hotel with shuttle, and take a later time.

Wendy

Hi:

I am a platinum, so my cabin is ready. I like to drop my can soda and carry on bag off in the cabin. If I'm traveling in the winter months, I will carry an outfit and change as soon as I arrive in my cabin. I live 10 minutes from Philadelphia, PA airport, the weather cools down in October. Also, so I can let the fun begin! Happy Sailing!!