Just got my Junior Suite GUAR Category W assignment

Stockjock

This is post #666 for me, so I'll be happy to move past that number!

I'll begin by telling you about a 21 day cruise I booked on MSC for $383(!) and why I'm likely cancelling it go do an 8 night out of Shanghai on Quantum instead.

Awhile back, I booked an oversized balcony cabin on a 4 night cruise out of Barcelona on MSC for $383. The game plan was to fly to Barcelona, spend a week or so there, then do the 4 night on the back-end. It stopped at Cinque Terre, Rome and one other stop.

The cruise line changed the itinerary from a 4 night to a 21 day cruise, but instead it is now leaving Brazil, crossing the pond and stopping in the ports near Paris, London, Brugge, few stops in Portugal, Germany, Canary Islands, etc.

So out the door, tax, port everything, we're in it for under $500 pp, which is crazy cheap for 21 days. Usually, when this type of schedule change occurs, they cancel your reservation or ask you for more money. In this case, they simply left us in the same cabin at the same price.

But...

The timing isn't great in terms of the GF's available vacation time.

Not sure I'd want to take all of that time off.

Flying into Brazil and out of Germany is very expensive.

You need a visa to enter Brazil, plus there are crime issues and such.

I asked the cruise line if I could board in Europe and they said "sure". So we thought about boarding in Lisbon and that would make it about an 8 day cruise.

Also...

Not only do flights run around $1,400 pp, plus we just visited some of these places within the past 4-5 months.

Meanwhile...

I found a junior suite on a RCL cruise out of Shanghai for 8 nights on Quantum of the Seas for just over $100 per night. It visits Tokyo, Osaka, Mt. Fuji, Yokahama, etc. And that's actually very cheap for a suite guarantee.

The timing works out better, especially for the GF. Plus, we figure RT airfare might be under $500 pp from San Diego.

So, we're going to China and Japan.

Still, I'll feel bad about cancelling a 21 day cruise that, for 2 people, is under $500 per person all-in. Nonetheless, guessing China and Japan will be interesting, and this will be my first suite.

As to the Cat. W assignment, we had a Junior Spa Suite Guarantee and I had the choice of selecting a cabin or rolling the dice with the GUAR. I took the GUAR maybe a month ago. We're still about a year from our sailing date.

Yesterday, they assigned me to a Family Junior Suite on the 9th deck. I'm pretty happy with the upgrade. While I would have been fine with a Junior Spa Suite, this will give us about 302 sq. feet and an extra half bath. While the price has increased since we booked, I thought that a bit over $800+ pp, plus port and such, was very reasonable for a JS on this sailing.

I was a bit concerned about the relatively poor reviews for this sailing, with frequent mention of pushy passengers and boarding issues, but we heard the same thing about MSC Divina out of Roma and a Pullmantur cruise, and we didn't have any issues with the supposedly "pushy" passengers. We just did our thing and had a great time.

Edited by Stockjock

Do I understand you correctly that MSC changed the itinerary for the cruise you booked so that it was over 5 times longer than your original booking?

Yes, that's correct. They took a 5 day/4 night RT from Barcelona, substantially altered the itinerary, leaving in Santos, Brazil and disembarking in Kiel (Hamburg) Germany, and changed it to 21 day/20 night "Grand Voyage". Left us in the same oversized balcony for 21 days at the $383 per person rate.

It's a shame we'll probably have to cancel it, as this sort of thing doesn't likely happen very often, but I don't sense that it will be practical for us due to the multiple concerns outlined.

That is absolutely incredible. I hope someone can enjoy that cruise for that price. Maybe you can do a name change with someone you know IRL?

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, auction that puppy off on Craigslist and do a name change. ;)

I'd be in the same boat as you here, though, I'd love to do the 21 night cruise, but I'd never give it that much vacation time.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, auction that puppy off on Craigslist and do a name change. ;)

I'd be in the same boat as you here, though, I'd love to do the 21 night cruise, but I'd never give it that much vacation time.

I’d have to doublecheck and see if it’s transferable. I know that my guest can be changed but I’m not sure about the primary guest a.k.a. me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’d have to doublecheck and see if it’s transferable. I know that my guest can be changed but I’m not sure about the primary guest a.k.a. me.

name change the 2nd passenger and add a third? ($383/2, or would they charge half the 21 day rate?)

383*2.5 = 957.50... still less than $500pp for (2)

Then just don't show up as the main guest.....

name change the 2nd passenger and add a third? ($383/2, or would they charge half the 21 day rate?)

383*2.5 = 957.50... still less than $500pp for (2)

Then just don't show up as the main guest.....

Not sure they'd let me do that at the original 4-night price, and I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble, unless someone showed up with a check for me.

• 9 months later...
Yeah, me too.:confused:

Round-trip air to Shanghai from San Diego is relatively inexpensive, although obviously it depends on when you were going. I booked on Hainan Airways. Unfortunately they canceled one of the flight so I had to switch to American. It did cost me a couple hundred dollars more, but I got the extra legroom seats which was nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the timing doesn't work for you..it simply doesn't work...even if the cruise was FREE, it would not have been the cruise for you! Stop worrying about "what might have been", and enjoy the vacation you did book!