Private tours, what happens if you are late

cruiserjack

Thinking about some private tours on my trip to SA. In remote places, if you take a private tour and your bus, 4X4, etc., breaks down, will the cruise line (Celebrity, in this case) wait for you? As opposed to something the cruise line organizes?

Anyone have some experience with this?

No, the ship will not wait for you if you are late. They only wait for passengers on ship excursions. That's why we always plan to be back early whenever we use a private vendor. We have never had an issue.

No experience, but have herd of people being left behind. Which people have to get their own travel to the next port.

I do know of a relative that did a ship tour and the tour operator was late getting back to ship. The ship did wait.

My feeling is if you are at a port for a short time. Do the ship tour, because I prefer not to worry about getting to the ship in time. It is more money doing the ship tour. But think of the money you will spend if the you are late getting back.

Although, if you are in a port for 9-11 hours. I think you can safely go on your own and get back in time.

This is just what I think

Kim

That's why sometimes, depending on the excursion, you are better off paying a little more for the ship's tour. Happened to us last year. The ship's tour bus got caught behind a horrible car accident and got back to the ship at 5:30. We were supposed to sail at 5. Well, the line is responsible, the captain knew and we sailed the nano-second the last passenger off the bus walked onto the ship. IF you were off on your own, they would have no idea where you were, or why and they would sail at sailing time.

Archived