Place to watch ships depart--Port Everglades

cspryor

Hello!!

I am arriving for a Sunday cruise on Saturday afternoon. It will be my kids first cruise and I thought I would like to take them to see other ships departing the port on Saturday afternoon.

I would also like to take them to be beach for a quick visit!

Maybe there is a good public beach to watch the ships leave? (Two birds/one stone)

Any recommendations would be appreciated!! Thanks!

If you look on Google Maps, the beach off the end of S. Ocean Ln is very popular for ship watching. The other side of the channel is Navy property, so you don't see many people there.

The NAVY property does not close off access to the jetty on the south side of the channel and it is a GREAT place to watch ship departures (was b4 hurricane, status unk att)

except

it is in John LLoyd park which closes at dusk so depending on the time of the year can be an issue

and

getting into the park, due to the layout of the port, is a bit of a task ..... if you have a rental it is less than 8 miles round trip. Without a car it is virtually impossible!!!!! From the port you go about 2.5 miles south, then cross east to the barrier island and come back the 2.5 miles ... add some east west miles and parking and you get to my 8!!

map on request . . .

btw, most of the places on the north side of the channel are private property ...... they typically don't make a fuss but ......

in the end, Port Everglades is not exceptionally conducive to watching ships leave ... no optimally placed restaurants like in Canaveral or Miami

I second the beach off S. Ocean Drive. We walked from the Hyatt Pier 66, across the street into the housing community there (Harbor Inlet Drive). Left onto Barbara Drive, follow it to the end and turn right onto S. Ocean Drive. Turn left onto Anchor (at the Everglades House). At the end of that street will be a security guard house on the right, and public access to the beach directly in front of you. Once on the beach, head all the way to the right and the ships will sail by right in front of you! Look on google maps and you can't go wrong.

Here is a simple map. Just have an Uber drop you off near the public access.

Not only is this a great place to watch the ships, it may possibly be the best place anywhere in the world to watch cruise ships. Why? Because that shallow area, when the ship goes by, all the water is sucked out of there and you can walk on the sand that is left. It's REALLY cool. Plus you are so close to the ships, it's amazing. And you'll get to see an Oasis class ship go by. It's really fun to watch as the water gets pulled back a good 100 yards or so as the ship starts to go by. Then you can run out there. Just wear appropriate clothing of course.

beach-access.png

Here is a picture I took from Oasis of the Seas. Notice where all the people are in that beach area!

water-sucked.jpg

I second the jetty near the Navy property. I have been there several times and it is an excellent spot. I also recommend checking out a site like cruisetimetables.com or vesseltracker.com to see which ships are departing that day. You should be able to find out who's departing. Looks like for today, it's Harmony of the Seas and Carnival Conquest. Happy cruising!

• 6 months later...
Here is a simple map. Just have an Uber drop you off near the public access.

Not only is this a great place to watch the ships, it may possibly be the best place anywhere in the world to watch cruise ships. Why? Because that shallow area, when the ship goes by, all the water is sucked out of there and you can walk on the sand that is left. It's REALLY cool. Plus you are so close to the ships, it's amazing. And you'll get to see an Oasis class ship go by. It's really fun to watch as the water gets pulled back a good 100 yards or so as the ship starts to go by. Then you can run out there. Just wear appropriate clothing of course.

beach-access.png

Here is a picture I took from Oasis of the Seas. Notice where all the people are in that beach area!

water-sucked.jpg

Thank you for GREAT info. Was looking on how to to get to north side to see the ships. Going in July, hope the weather will cooperate that day.