Naples-Or how do I make lemonade from lemons

sarlin

Hi All,

Sailing in 2 1/2 weeks and I have broken my ankle! Yes we have insurance but we are going to still go on our mediterrean cruise-BtW I am in a walking boot/cast-The Dr. knows about the cruise and we have discussed the best ways for me to stil cruise-

Naples is the port I am most worried about-We had a Pompeii tour planned as well as the Amalfie coast drive-I think we will cancel this as it is advertised as a mile and 1/2 walk-Also, Rome is the next port and I want to be able to tour Rome if nothing else-

With that being said, what is the port of Naples like? Is it a port where my husband and I can leave the ship and perhaps sit in a cafe for a bit? Any other ideas as to how we can spend the day?

A friend has given us this cruise as a gift. I know!-And I want to make the absolute best of it-I am going with a positive attitude and will still make sure that it is a fantastic trip-Thanks for yor help!

I'm sorry for your pain but the good news is that Naples will be an easy problem to solve.

First, if you have a car service reserved you could go ahead with your plans to see the Amalfi Coast, just drop the Pompei stop and add more time along the coast.

If you'd rather not do that, Naples herself is a great option. The cruise port is located in the historic center, facing a huge castle (Castel Nuovo). You can walk from the ship, cross the main street in front of the cruise port and walk up a ramp alongside the castle to Via San Carlo. From here you'd walk past Naples's historic opera house and galleria to the famous Cafe Gambrinus on Piazza Trieste e Trento, diagonally across from the royal palace and apartments. All that and you're only a half a mile from your ship.

If you're willing to walk (or take the metro or a taxi) a little further (one mile) you can see the famous Spaccanapoli and the nearby Museo Cappella San Severo with its outstanding sculpture of the Veiled Christ.

http://www.museosansevero.it/en

In the same area, if you're looking for beauty and peaceful quiet, check out the cloisters of Santa Chiara. There's also some excavated ruins and a museum there.

https://monasterodisantachiaraing.jimdo.com/

Euro cruiser has Naples covered. I'll just reiterate that if your heart is set on seeing the Amalfi Coast, it's probably the least stressful option with fewest steps involved as long as you drop Pompeii.

I suspect you are part of a small group and perhaps just dropping Pompeii is not an option. However, you could ask the driver to drop you off at the major piazza in the modern Pompeii town (where the cathedral is), and you could just sit there and have a coffee or enjoy a short exploratory walk while you wait for the rest of the group to complete the Pompeii portion.

I agree with the advice that you have gotten.

You can thoroughly enjoy the Amalfi Coast with very limited walking. You could stop from time to time and just get out of the vehicle and stand right nearby or you can just stay in the vehicle.

Sorry about your injury but glad you are still going on the trip.

Keith

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! So thankful there will be plenty of options for us!

I think I will wait a week or so and see how the ankle is- I know at the very least we could enjoy Naples itself-Also, too we may get brave and try to do the Amalfi coast-

Is the Amalfi coast a drive we could do on our own without a driver?

Thanks again!

Is the Amalfi coast a drive we could do on our own without a driver?

You need a driver. Whoever of your party drives the car will hate it. And the others may be too terrified to look at the views.

Honestly, we have driven it a few times, but we are used to driving in Europe. This is not the ride for a first timer who wants to enjoy the day.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are visiting Napoli, DO NOT FAIL to use this amazing guy as your excursion guide.

Much more affordable than your ship’s overpriced excursions and much more personal, private and a hell of a lot of fun, fun, fun. You will fall in love with Ciro, many woman and men decide to miss the ship and stay in Napoli LOL Rush to book him and tell him Jay sent you.

https://mrcabdrivernapoli.jimdo.com/

https://www.facebook.com/taxitournapoli/

If you are visiting Napoli, DO NOT FAIL to use this amazing guy as your excursion guide.

Much more affordable than your ship’s overpriced excursions and much more personal, private and a hell of a lot of fun, fun, fun. You will fall in love with Ciro, many woman and men decide to miss the ship and stay in Napoli LOL Rush to book him and tell him Jay sent you.

https://mrcabdrivernapoli.jimdo.com/

https://www.facebook.com/taxitournapoli/

He is absolutely great. We just returned from the Freedom this past Sunday. Ciro was the best we had in our 10 night cruise! He will take you anywhere you want and you will have an amazing day! I vote 100% Wish we could have had him for all of our tours!!!!

On our trip to Naples next fall, we are making a dedicated trip to the Archaeological museum in Naples, which houses the actual artifacts from Herculaneum and Pompeii. We will get a chance to see what was actually inside the structures. I was wondering in your case, if perhaps the museum might have wheelchairs available. I know it goes against the grain of normally healthy and active people but I would think it would allow you to get some really good insight without exhausting yourself in the walking cast. You've probably already discovered just how tiring hopping around all day on that thing can be. (And I agree, hire a driver for the Amalfi coast!)

I'm sorry for your pain but the good news is that Naples will be an easy problem to solve.

First, if you have a car service reserved you could go ahead with your plans to see the Amalfi Coast, just drop the Pompei stop and add more time along the coast.

If you'd rather not do that, Naples herself is a great option. The cruise port is located in the historic center, facing a huge castle (Castel Nuovo). You can walk from the ship, cross the main street in front of the cruise port and walk up a ramp alongside the castle to Via San Carlo. From here you'd walk past Naples's historic opera house and galleria to the famous Cafe Gambrinus on Piazza Trieste e Trento, diagonally across from the royal palace and apartments. All that and you're only a half a mile from your ship.

If you're willing to walk (or take the metro or a taxi) a little further (one mile) you can see the famous Spaccanapoli and the nearby Museo Cappella San Severo with its outstanding sculpture of the Veiled Christ.

http://www.museosansevero.it/en

In the same area, if you're looking for beauty and peaceful quiet, check out the cloisters of Santa Chiara. There's also some excavated ruins and a museum there.

https://monasterodisantachiaraing.jimdo.com/

This is great information- We just booked a Carnival sailing for next April and I hope I can find this post when it gets closer to detailed planning so I can refer back!!

Thanks!!