Alaska- Inside passage or not?

Lolou127

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join the forums, I’m trying to plan an Alaskan cruise for next August/September, I think the inside passage round sailing from Vancouver is what is best for us, but the better deals are with celebrity to the Hubbard Glacier, I’m looking for some expert help on this one, would the celebrity cruise be very much in rougher seas?

Another question, Can I as a U.K. citizen book with a US TA? I’m getting conflicting information on this

The pricing is based heavily on demand. So generally the more desired itinerary would cost more. We had the same decision to make last year and we decided to go with the more expensive Inside passage, Glacier Bay itinerary.

Hi everyone, thanks for letting me join the forums, I’m trying to plan an Alaskan cruise for next August/September, I think the inside passage round sailing from Vancouver is what is best for us, but the better deals are with celebrity to the Hubbard Glacier, I’m looking for some expert help on this one, would the celebrity cruise be very much in rougher seas?

Another question, Can I as a U.K. citizen book with a US TA? I’m getting conflicting information on this

Yes , you should be able to book with a US or Canadian Travel agent.

I would pick based on which ports interest you, what you would like to do in those ports and the amount of time you will be in those ports. Many of the R/T cruises have shorter port times.

Two advantages to the Inside Passage for me are it is more scenic and less chance for rough seas.

Also, the cost in both time and money just to get to / from your cruise can be more than the cruise itself. Adding a few hundred dollars to do a better itinerary may be a good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Leaving from Vancouver is less likely for your ship to experience rough seas. (There is a small part of the itinerary where the swells of the North Pacific Ocean may remind you that you are on a ship, however.)

Deciding what ports are of greatest interest to you is probably the best way to make a decision. While I agree that Glacier Bay has lots to see, Hubbard Glacier is simply magnificent and, at least this year, was really doing much calving.

Cunard's old slogan was "Getting There Is Half the Fun". So, true! But, the other half is the "planning"! Enjoy!

We booked Celebrity Millennium and Inside Passage from Vancouver and Hubbard Glacier for next June. The pricing and deals were great and we loved our first M Class cruise in the Adriatic this summer. We liked the food and entertainment and more relaxed atmosphere on Celebrity. It's a different vibe from Princess. If prices were close though, we would have booked Coral Princess because it includes Glacier Bay. They weren't close and we're okay with that as well as Hubbard Glacier.

Thoughts...

• Glacier Bay offers the superior glacier experience. It's worth the extra premium
  • hope you are looking at early August to avoid the discounted September storms.

Of course weather can vary but our most recent September cruise we had great weather and even saw (from our aft balcony) the Northern Lights...a nice surprise one night....thanks to our adult kids who were still up (and called us) and the captain blowing the horn.