Cruising from Shanghai, China

jjmock

I’m from the USA, and considering a cruise on RCCL that departs and returns to Shanghai, and I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to offer any information or advice on the requirements such as visa, logistics, etc that are particular. Just wondering if the requirements are excessive. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m from the USA, and considering a cruise on RCCL that departs and returns to Shanghai, and I was wondering if anyone out there might be able to offer any information or advice on the requirements such as visa, logistics, etc that are particular. Just wondering if the requirements are excessive. Thanks.

Are you comfortable sailing when 90% of the people are all Chinese, and the experience will be completely different from typical RCI cruises. If so go for it. There are a lot of rules requiring Visas etc. Only you can decide if they are excessive. I would recommend one of the cruises that starts or ends outside of China, these repositioning cruises are much more typical and probably more enjoyable.

We had a great trip on the Anthem in April Sailing from Singapore and ending up in Tianjin China.

JC

I did and loved every minute of it. First, you should consider a few days in China because Shanghai is a wonderful area, and if more adventurous like we were, we went to Beijing first, than Shanghai for a total of 5 hotel nights.

Logistics? Taxi. They are cheap and plentiful.

Visa - we got them through the company RCCL recommended. Expect to pay about $500.00 for two people. That includes the visa fee, the processing fee from China consulate, the company fee for handling the process, and shipping.

Look at this, China is cheaper than Europe, and RCCL ships are usually cheaper per night also than Europe or Caribbean. The money you save covers the visa and the visa is good for 10 years.

Many review will tell you all kinds of things, and are spread out for ratings of 1 through 10, but a cruise in China, people either loved it, or hated it. I'm one for loving it, and planning to go back in 2019. Hopefully on the new Quantum Ultra ship.

Whenever you leave from a foreign port, you will have passengers that are local, and they will always be the majority. So of course, a China Cruise will have a large amount of Chinese. Seems like a very reasonable assumption. The ships, the food the shows, the programs are basically the same. More shows are visual, than talking for good reason. They have both English music bands as well as Chinese bands for good reason. Food is very similar, but they add a few Asian dishes. The crew is speaks English. Plus being a foreigner, you also get priority treatment by the crew, because you can speak English, and they love it. Ask any bartender!

Best thing is to plan, make sure you have a data package on your phone, so you can use translator apps, and maps, write out instruction cards, and address for taxi's (very important), and use the hotel to help you with everything for transportation.

We got off a ship in Shanghai last year and did not need a China visa. You see, they have a 144-hour free visa program that's good for the immediate Shanghai area. You will need to show them proof of on-going travel that cannot exceed 144 hours after you arrive.

Check the internet for this. Worked great for us.

My brother and sister in law just did Quantum from Shanghai for their honeymoon and loved the Japan ports but not the people. They said the chinese were rude, pushy and the spit all over the ship. They found it disgusting that kept seeing crew members scold the passengers.

I myself am not interested in this kind of cruise, as I would just like to visit these places by land. My brother said Japan was unreal and at some points they didnt even want to go to back to the ship because it was that bad.

My brother has done two carribbean cruises and he said the experience was way different and he would never cruise Asia again.

My brother and sister in law just did Quantum from Shanghai for their honeymoon and loved the Japan ports but not the people. They said the chinese were rude, pushy and the spit all over the ship. They found it disgusting that kept seeing crew members scold the passengers.

I myself am not interested in this kind of cruise, as I would just like to visit these places by land. My brother said Japan was unreal and at some points they didnt even want to go to back to the ship because it was that bad.

My brother has done two carribbean cruises and he said the experience was way different and he would never cruise Asia again.

That was what I was trying to politely tell the OP.... :evilsmile:

JC

We have just come back from a cruise from Shanghai to Japan and enjoyed it , yes the majority of the cruisers are Chinese but hey what do you expect if your are cruising from there country.

Are experience was that as long as you go with an open mind you will enjoy it, very different from your normal cruise but that was part of the attraction for us, you will need a visa that is for two days in and out of china

If you go on Quantum it was really good if you can stretch to it I would recommend a spa junior suite as then you get to eat in coastal kitchen which was awsome

Any questions please feel free to ask

• 2 weeks later...
We have just come back from a cruise from Shanghai to Japan and enjoyed it , yes the majority of the cruisers are Chinese but hey what do you expect if your are cruising from there country.

Are experience was that as long as you go with an open mind you will enjoy it, very different from your normal cruise but that was part of the attraction for us, you will need a visa that is for two days in and out of china

If you go on Quantum it was really good if you can stretch to it I would recommend a spa junior suite as then you get to eat in coastal kitchen which was awsome

Any questions please feel free to ask

We're booked on an 8 night on Quantum out of Shanghai for 2018. I was told that as long as you don't leave the Shanghai area and don't spend more than 144 total hours on Chinese soil in that area, you don't need a Visa. I figured a couple of nights in Shanghai, embarkation, debarkation and flyaway should be well under 144 hours.

Please advise.

Hi you will need a double visa it cost us about 300 au dollars for the two of us, we stayed in Shanghai for 3 days before hand and straight to airport on debarkation

If you want a reasonable hotel on the Bund we can recommend the Les Suites hotel very reasonably priced for where it is and great views of the Bund lights of an evening, also just around the corner is one of the best Chinese restaurants we have been to called the lost heaven a must go to for a lovely meal , we even saw the hotel manager with his family in there so that says something

Get them to get you a taxi to the cruise terminal as it only costs about 20 dollars and its quite away out of town

We're booked on an 8 night on Quantum out of Shanghai for 2018. I was told that as long as you don't leave the Shanghai area and don't spend more than 144 total hours on Chinese soil in that area, you don't need a Visa. I figured a couple of nights in Shanghai, embarkation, debarkation and flyaway should be well under 144 hours.

Please advise.

Double-check the 144-hour visa requirements. We're not sure you can split up the 144-hour stay into, like two 72-hour segments. And we don't know if you can get two separate 144-hour visas so close together. There night be a limit on the number of 144-hour visas you can apply for in a time period.

Not to discredit your relatives, but in Shanghai, where the majority of the guest come from, it is illegal to spit in public, and on the streets. It is also illegal to smoke anyplace under cover. Being in Shanghai, and on the ship, the Chinese are very much accustomed to not spitting all over the floor because it has fines attached to it. People generally do not change once on the ship. This type of statement is just stereotyping a group of people. My wife is disabled, and we had Chinese men, and many Chinese students jump to help my wife. They are no different than Americans. Many are rude but many more are kind and friendly.

Yes, the experience is different. Caribbean cruises are 90% Americans, and Asian cruises are 90% Asians. Different countries, languages and customs.

We are taking a cruise out of Shanghai on Quantum later this year, following a land tour in China. We have visited China twice before so we have realistic expectations. As a previous poster said, spitting in Shanghai was almost non existent. Our last visit was after the Beijing Olympics and the Chinese had been made aware that spitting was not acceptable to Weatern visitors.

Although visas are expensive, in the overall cost of the trip they are not really significant. I wouldn't risk being denied boarding for want of the correct visa.

Sheila