Question of the Day!

We take around $200 in small bills for tips to porters and room steward when warranted. Also for possible transport fare like hop on hop off bus. Also for small item purchases. If not enough, we use the ATM in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto, there is nothing on board that I really have to have and in port if we want small souvenirs that will cover it.

I bring about $1500 cash in various denominations. This is for various gratuities, souvenirs, and gambling.

I NEVER use my plastic at any ports, yet I have it, and my passport "just in case".

This what we do as well. About $100 in small bills and the balance in 100 dollar bills. You can get them changed at Guest Services.

I agree with both cb at sea and Theaden07--about $1500. The reason is I NEVER carry credit cards when out on islands shopping. And we are just old school---my hubby never uses a credit card for anything, and prefers cash. This cash is also used prior to cruise in our port city for dining out, taxis, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Each vacation is different be we usually budget $150-200 per adult per day to bring in cash, per child maybe about $75-125 per port day.

Do we use it all? Well no, but it is there if we need it. And if we use a credit card for the consumer protections give by the CC company, well some of that cash equal to that purchase gets put aside to pay the card once home.

The more we are able to prepay like excursions, on board packages deals/programs, or experiences we bring less. BUT we always bring at least enough to tip those not covered by prepaid gratuities and the occasional non-discretionary purchase, plus what 2 night's hotel lodging,2 days of meals, and airfare to home would be, in case of emergencies.