Lido: How to make your own cold-cut sandwich ...

Slarty

Check around the Lido...on the last 3 cruises (O'dam, Z'dam, and A'dam) found that there was often a small area for getting made-to-order sandwiches. It wasn't obvious sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They no longer have the Press for the sandwiches with the exception of Kdam!

I was on the first sailing on Nieuw Amsterdam after a Drydock when they eliminated the Made-to-Order sandwiches. They did not have the set-up that they now do and had no bread selection, did not make a sandwich and only had out a small tray of cold cuts and cheese which they had no clue people would start grabbing and making their own. They had to keep refilling the tray!

It is due to the the feedback of so many being disappointed with only having Pre-Mades that they brought back cold cuts and Made-to-Order. However, still no Press!

HAL pales in comparison in this area to Carnival who has the best Deli at Sea and offers daily selections of Potato Salads, Pasta Salads, etc.

I have had a number of pre-made sandwiches on HAL and have never had a soggy one. I have had some great pre-made sandwiches on board; the first time onboard with that option, the sandwich was so good I ate a second one at the same meal.

I really like the pre made sandwiches :D but then I hate asking for things so it's ideal for this introvert. I can just grab a sandwich or two and go back to my quiet corner to eat . I also love the big bowls of salad, although I do wish they had a fat free dressing ....now if only they had those giant bowls for my watermelon :confused:

I have had a couple of soggy premade sandwiches, but like Hank (Hitner), I ripped them apart, got some more fixings, and a bun and made my own. Not my idea of a fun time and a total waste of food.

More importantly for me - is not the sogginess but the choices. We all can't eat all the selections of breads that are offered - so if you want the fixings you have to take it apart.

Plus, the buns are VERY thick. Too thick to suit me for the # of fixings.

Food is always subjective. I was happy to be able to choose my bread on the last cruise for my sandwich and hope I can do the same next year and not waste food.

Yes....very good info. For many years my wife and I have saved OJ and crisp bacon from breakfast to use later in the day.

Plan ahead.

David

Great idea on the bacon from breakfast...for those of us who ❤️ a BLT. I do the same at home...why not on a ship? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good idea that I have not thought of! Like Sail and you, a visit to the "new" Salad Bar always results in a salad that is far more than I care to consume. I was of the impression that the Salad Bar crew member "had" to only use that ridiculously large plastic salad bowl. Thank you!

I asked, told, the person making the salad, to please not fill that whole salad bowl. I told them it sould be too muuch salad fo r me but that did not help. :loudcry:

Another good idea that I have not thought of! Like Sail and you, a visit to the "new" Salad Bar always results in a salad that is far more than I care to consume. I was of the impression that the Salad Bar crew member "had" to only use that ridiculously large plastic salad bowl. Thank you!

They had 2 sizes of salad bowls when I was on the Westerdam and Rotterdam. I normally found I had to "ask" for the smaller bowl (until they got to know me) and they always stopped filling when I signalled.

If I just wanted a very small amount or just a couple of the toppings, I just passed them my plate and asked for just a bit of x. No problem at all.:D

So, they can actually make paninis on K? That would make me happy.

I ate from the pasta bar several days on Zuiderdam and really enjoyed it most days. I don't typically "do" buffet lunches. I may try their pizza, but so far, I haven't had a cruiseline pizza I enjoyed (so I gave up trying them several years ago).

Westerdam does have a sandwich maker right next to the pre-made sandwiches now. I was there in August and would have a turkey sandwich made to my taste. They also had ham and roast beef. If there was a turkey being carved, I would ask for a slice of that instead of the thin sliced turkey they usually provide. But I missed the tuna salad the Prinsendam had at their sandwich station. No tuna salad on the Westerdam. Just in the pre-made sandwich section, where the tuna sandwiches can be soggy and contain other items I might not want.

Yes....very good info. For many years my wife and I have saved OJ and crisp bacon from breakfast to use later in the day.

Plan ahead.

David

Mmmmm bacon

Great idea to stock up on some bacon in the morning ... great for snacks when on a low carb diet ;-)

dh

Westerdam does have a sandwich maker right next to the pre-made sandwiches now. I was there in August and would have a turkey sandwich made to my taste. They also had ham and roast beef. If there was a turkey being carved, I would ask for a slice of that instead of the thin sliced turkey they usually provide. But I missed the tuna salad the Prinsendam had at their sandwich station. No tuna salad on the Westerdam. Just in the pre-made sandwich section, where the tuna sandwiches can be soggy and contain other items I might not want.

Glad to hear it is back on the Westie :D

I guess making our points counted on our Westerdam cruise. And people's comments on surveys. The HD was reading my live thread and agreed about the premade sandwiches. He said it was a Seattle order and agreed on the waste. I noticed him talking in the Lido to guests who were getting sandwiches.

Glad to hear they are back:)

Ps - and thanks for the encouraging words on the P'dam. I loved their sandwich station :)