Southwest points ?

helene109

Didn’t realize this but now when I look at an email from SWA I didn’t know that I could buy stuff with my points!! I don’t have much but it looks like can get something for free!!! Just a tip in case no one else knew like me!! Now maybe I might be leaning towards the family harbor in the vista!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn’t realize this but now when I look at an email from SWA I didn’t know that I could buy stuff with my points!! I don’t have much but it looks like can get something for free!!! Just a tip in case no one else knew like me!! Now maybe I might be leaning towards the family harbor in the vista!!

Go for it.

I just got $1000.00 in carnival gift cards FREE with my southwest points. It's 10,000 points for a $100 gift card.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Why would you need a cc? Read above posts

I can't answer the why, but it is part of the Terms of Southwest's "More Rewards" program. From their website;

"The sky is no longer the limit when it comes to redeeming points, and that's a good thing! In addition to being rewarded with flights, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Cardmembers have the opportunity to turn those points into International flights, hotel stays, car rentals, gift cards, and more."

Note that Cardmembers are the ones who have the opportunity to turn those points into things other than flights.

One other item, from a previous poster, it appears the redemption rate on gift cards is about 100 points per dollar of gift card. Flights are typically from 60-90 points per dollar, meaning instead of $1,000 in gift cards, those points might have been worth as much as $1,650 in flights. So, if you have US travel planned, you may want to consider Southwest flights if possible using the southwest points.

It does look at first as though you have to have a SW CC, but if you log into your Rapid Rewards, navigate to How to Redeem, then Redeem for More, you eventually get to a page that has gift cards, and under Travel is a Carnival Card. It looks like it would let me purchase one with my RR points.

I'd rather use mine for flights. I get my gift cards through AARP at a discount. There's no discount on these cards. I'd be better off going to Kroger and purchase a full price card and getting fuel points.

OK. Not exactly. I've "earned" the RR points and can simply redeem them, meaning the card costs nothing. But then I'd have to pay for my airfare. So, no thanks.

For me it just isn't worth using my miles to get the Carnival Gift Card. It works out to about 10 cents per SW mile. Whereas using the miles for travel is like 17 cents per mile. When you have a family of 6, that's a lot of flying.

Example: Just used about 46,000 miles for round trip to San Juan. It would have cost around $750 for airfare. Those 46000 miles would have gotten me almost $500 Carnival Cards.

Points never expire as long as you earn points every 24 months (I think it's 24) and you can earn points through partners not just by flying.

But based on earlier post on here, it's at least worth trying. Sign in and go to more rewards and try to make the "purchase". Good luck.

We only fly once a year so if I have 16,000 in points and I don’t have a southwest credit card I think I can still purchase a gift card? Thanks I want to use it for something

Thank you for your interest in Southwest Airlines' More Rewards program. Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmembers are the only Customers who have access to redeem their points through the More Rewards program. If you would like to redeem points for something other than Southwest flights and you are not a Rapid Rewards Credit Cardmember, you can apply here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For me it just isn't worth using my miles to get the Carnival Gift Card. It works out to about 10 cents per SW mile. Whereas using the miles for travel is like 17 cents per mile. When you have a family of 6, that's a lot of flying.

Example: Just used about 46,000 miles for round trip to San Juan. It would have cost around $750 for airfare. Those 46000 miles would have gotten me almost $500 Carnival Cards.

In my case we can't redeem our points for flights. My husband and I are going distance, so he flys here every Friday, and back every mon. We've just earned companion status, meaning I fly free with him anywhere he flys for the rest of this year and all of next year. We fly somewhere about once or twice a month for the weekend. However, in order for him to keep companion status for 2019, he has to fly 100 OW flights, paid. We've missed it for the last three years because he was using points on his flights, and reward flights don't count. So I would rather put those points towards cruises, and fly anywhere he can go for free! Im flying to Napa free.($400), DC ($200), SAN ANTONIO ($300) Orlando ($190), Tampa ($145) and Boston ($154), and that's all just through the end of this year. Plus now I have $1000 towards my next CRUISE after this. Oh, and I still have delta points to redeem for a flight!

In my case we can't redeem our points for flights. My husband and I are going distance, so he flys here every Friday, and back every mon. We've just earned companion status, meaning I fly free with him anywhere he flys for the rest of this year and all of next year. We fly somewhere about once or twice a month for the weekend. However, in order for him to keep companion status for 2019, he has to fly 100 OW flights, paid. We've missed it for the last three years because he was using points on his flights, and reward flights don't count. So I would rather put those points towards cruises, and fly anywhere he can go for free! Im flying to Napa free.($400), DC ($200), SAN ANTONIO ($300) Orlando ($190), Tampa ($145) and Boston ($154), and that's all just through the end of this year. Plus now I have $1000 towards my next CRUISE after this. Oh, and I still have delta points to redeem for a flight!

*long distance. My phone is having issues. Sorry for typos

• 2 months later...
Best redemption is still for flights. BTW, there are several other ways to earn the Companion Pass without actually flying.

Yes, by using your cc for everything so that you earn 110000 points:)

Edited by ptf2009
Spelling