Barcelona Violence

memoak

Originally posted by antsp The violence was from the Police, the scenes where disgusting.

Hello,

I´m Spanish and I live here.

Sorry but the violence wasn´t from the police, I don´t know what you have seen on TV but please see the whole picture and the whole story. Maybe you need to watch more than one video about what happened last Sunday.

The Spanish police was protecting the union of our country, they were doing their job and they where insulting and hitting by people first.

This referendum was totally illegal, against our constitution, against the law, invented by some foolish Catalonia politics without thinking in the consequences.

Not all Catalonia people want to be independent. Most Catalonia people want to remain part of Spain as always.

Enjoy your cruisers and your visit to Spain,

Regards

Edited by Spanishcruisers

I guess your tv didn’t show women being dragged out of polling stations by the hair by police

Well, maybe the were, but if I understand things, this is an illegal action. So one is braking the law. One could say many are committing treasonous activities. I'm not saying they are, but there should be something to the rule of law.

Well, maybe the were, but if I understand things, this is an illegal action. So one is braking the law. One could say many are committing treasonous activities. I'm not saying they are, but there should be something to the rule of law.

What law are you referring to - all Provinces if Spain are "autonomous" by Spanish law

What law are you referring to - all Provinces if Spain are "autonomous" by Spanish law

Well, there is autonomy and then there is Autonomy. Just as we have autonomous States, Canada has autonomous Provinces, and the UK has the autonomous countries of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. None of these autonomous entities has the right to unilaterally separate itself from the whole. We, here in the US fought a civil war over this, likewise England has had civil wars in their history. Spain's last civil war was in the 1930's. Luckily, Canada has not gone through a civil war.... yet.

Seems odd, given the stated preference of people in Catalonia is against separation, that the Spanish government didn't do what the UK government did and hold a legal referendum. If they were confident that they would have won anyway it seems like the way to go. Would have avoided all of the violence (whoever caused it).

I thought the UN were very keen on the "Will of the people"? If the will of the people is to stay in Spain, so be it, but if the will of the people is for independence it should be granted - old constitution or not. I would certainly have accepted Scotland's choice just as I respect the choice of the EU leave vote. Wasn't what I voted for but the majority of the people did. Isn't this what democracy is all about? Something western governments (and the US in particular) always seem to bang on about when they invade a country in the middle east.

Just my tuppence worth.

We disembarked the Royal Princess in Barcelona on Saturday, September 30th and stayed in town until Tuesday, October 3rd. This time included the Sunday, October 1st outlawed voting. We saw protests in the street, streets blocked, and gatherings of hundreds of peaceful demonstrators. There were both Catalan independence demonstrations and unity demonstrations. In spite of almost 800 people being reported as hurt, we were able to easily avoid the large gatherings and get on with our own daily tourism. We did not at any time feel intimidated or insecure.

We were inconvenienced when leaving on October 3rd as a general strike was called. Our hotel suggested we leave for the airport two hours earlier than planned and we discovered our pre-arranged transportation driver was going to strike. We made new transportation plans and had no problems.

You will find a higher than normal police presence in and around tourist spots but all is well. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine in Barcelona. :)

Mike in Ohio

I think the real test will come tomorrow when the Catalan Parliament meets - if they declare independence and the Madrid government sends in more federal police and/or troops I would expect things to change in a hurry and many cruise lines may rethink stopping there

Seems odd, given the stated preference of people in Catalonia is against separation, that the Spanish government didn't do what the UK government did and hold a legal referendum. If they were confident that they would have won anyway it seems like the way to go. Would have avoided all of the violence (whoever caused it).

I thought the UN were very keen on the "Will of the people"? If the will of the people is to stay in Spain, so be it, but if the will of the people is for independence it should be granted - old constitution or not. I would certainly have accepted Scotland's choice just as I respect the choice of the EU leave vote. Wasn't what I voted for but the majority of the people did. Isn't this what democracy is all about? Something western governments (and the US in particular) always seem to bang on about when they invade a country in the middle east.

You must have forgotten about Biafra,1979 Zimbabwe Rhodesia or Hong Kong under British rule, did you? Both UK and UN were dead set against their independence or self determination and decided democracy or wish of the people should take a back seat when it came to protecting their own self interests. It is what it is.

You must have forgotten about Biafra,1979 Zimbabwe Rhodesia or Hong Kong under British rule, did you? Both UK and UN were dead set against their independence or self determination and decided democracy or wish of the people should take a back seat when it came to protecting their own self interests. It is what it is.

No, I haven't forgotten. Mistakes were definitely made in the past, doesn't mean that we can't learn from them does it? Opinions have moved on since then.

Edit: For the avoidance of doubt, I don't have a lot of faith in the UN at all. I'm just pointing out what they "say" they believe in.

• 1 month later...

We are here in Barcelona November 12 and everything is OK the bars open the restaurants are open and life seems to be normal...

there were some demonstrations on Saturday night the 11th but we were only delayed in a taxi for 30 minutes otherwise everything was OK the people demonstrating consider the tourists friends... and many of the demonstrators wore American flags and European country flags... sympathetic to the free world's....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums