Concessions rate

smm0218

In looking at the admittance fees for some of the places I hope to visit, I noticed some have a "concessions" rate. Is that a Senior Citizens rate (over 60 or 65?)

Thanks

Sandi

Old Age Pensioners' rate, correct, but the age can vary between locations. It used to be traditionally the age that you could collect the Old Age Pension, but the courts in their infinite wisdom declared that while it wasn't illegal sex discrimination for the government to pay pensions to men and women at different ages, it was illegal sex discrimination for organisations to use government retiring ages as the guideline. So it moved to 60 or 65. Now that retiring age is creeping up, you may find the odd place that goes for 67.

Either way, as more and more places asre relying on pensioners' money (pensioners being the ones with the most free time, and in many cases the most spare money) the pensioner rates are getting less and less generous. By and large.

You are jumping the gun a bit there dsrds. The current state pension age is 63 for women and 65 for men. In ten years or so, the retirement age for men and women will be the same. My wife was 60 this year but will have to wait until 2023 for her state pension.

Most tourist sites offer concessions to the over 60s. For example, The Tower of London offers a £5 reduction for over 60s and disabled, while The London Eye offers nothing. The best savings are from pre-booking online.

Concession rates can apply to a variety of people, you need to check the small-print.

Usually includes seniors (dsrdsrdsr, I'll be reporting your "old age pensioners" phrase to the constabulary's political-correctness department ;p) but often also kids & students, and very occasionally military/ex-military, teachers, local tax-payers, EU citizens, etc etc. Not all of those concessions apply at different places, and often the level of concession varies.

Seniors' rates are usually for over-60's - I'm pretty certain that's the case with govt places but private businesses can make up their own rules.

Nowadays at some places seniors make up a pretty high proportion of visitors, and you'll find lots that no longer offer a seniors' concession.

JB :)

(dsrdsrdsr, I'll be reporting your "old age pensioners" phrase to the constabulary's political-correctness department ;p)

JB :)

I've never yet heard of anyone refusing their old age pension because they didn't like the name! But yes, I realise there are people who think "old age" is an insult and refuse to use it.

I'm 55 and DH is 61. We paid the concession rate for him at a lot of attractions. I asked if it wasn't posted. I remember it for the tickets I purchased in advance for Buckingham Palace and Edinburgh Castle and the tickets we purchased at Kensington Palace.

I'm 55 and DH is 61. We paid the concession rate for him at a lot of attractions. I asked if it wasn't posted. I remember it for the tickets I purchased in advance for Buckingham Palace and Edinburgh Castle and the tickets we purchased at Kensington Palace.

Can't do Buckingham June visit) but I will when I purchase my online tickets for Edinburgh, and I'll definitely ask if not posted. Thanks

Sandi

Thanks

We are both over 65, I just wasn't sure if that was what Concession Rate meant, it's called Senior Rate around here and I wasn't sure they were the same thing.

Hi Sandi

The term 'Concessions' Rate mainly applies to Pensioners/Senior Citizens but it can apply to Students, Unemployed and other groups as well. I think 'Concessions' was chosen to avoid labelling people and groups - politically correct language is a potential minefield!