Drink Cards?

tractortom

This may have been done to death, but we are new to Holland America...

Hi there! Tractortom here in Okeechobee, FL.

We last did a HAL cruise for our 25th Wedding anniversary, more than 17 years ago... back then they didn't have drink packages, and the like.

We are currently booked for an 11 day Sunfarer to the Panama Canal, 17 January of 2019 on Zuiderdam and looking forward to some time on a 'smaller' ship, after several Mega-ship cruises the last few years on other carriers.

Anyway, I really can't consider a drinks package, as the wife doesn't ever, and both parties in the cabin have to order the same package.

So what is the advantage to a 'Drink Card'? I assume that they are good both for soft drinks and those not so soft? Does both of us have to have a drink card if in the same cabin, like a drink package? Sounds kind of like a prepaid credit card?

Thanks in advance!

TractorTom in Okeechobee, FL

You're right that the Beverage Card is somewhat like a pre-paid credit card. You can purchase one to share, one for both of you, or additional cards as the cruise goes on.

If you are always together, then one card may be fine, but if you go your separate ways once in a while, two card may work better.

The biggest advantage is that it shows as one purchase on your cruise account, so it is easier to proof out your balance due at the end of the cruise---there's only that one charge to keep track of. You save one purchase slip, showing your balance, until the next purchase. Check that it's correct, and toss the old receipt.

Yes, the cards are good for any drinks at all. The cards aren't restricted to the person who purchased it, as it has been paid for with your own money. So, you can buy a round for the house if you want to! <hic>

Welcome back to Holland America. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We buy the Beverage cards.

So much easier -- you won't have all those slips of papers to check at the end of the cruise.

Besides cocktails, you can get bottled water, specialty coffees -- we even use the cards to buy bottles of wine at dinner (can't do that with the Signature Beverage Card).

If you have anything left on the Beverage Card, it will be credited back to your shipboard account. And if there is anything left on your shipboard account, that will be credited back to your credit card.

We have bought the soda cards before and found we've saved money. We don't use the whole $50 but do always use more than $25 so save some. We enjoy a soda with lunch from the dive-in :cool:

What I don't know is if you can buy the soda cards onboard as we've always bought ours online before the cruise.

dh

Soda cards available pre-cruise. I will have 2 waiting for my mom and me when we get on the Westerdam in March. What I like about the soda card is pay $25, and get $50 worth of soda! I usually drink 2-3 diet sodas per meal, so I should be set!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can someone explain this? You get $50 worth of soda fro $25 on a card?????

Tom

Exactly that! Log into your HAL account, click on already booked, then personalize your cruise. Underneath where it says how many days til your cruise, click purchase beverages. Below the alcohol and wine packages you will find “Soda Fountain Value Card.” Pay $25, and you will get $50 worth of fountain sodas. I’ve heard, however, on this board, that you’ll have trouble sometimes getting cans of soda. Can’t confirm, have never been on an HAL ship. Maybe someone with onboard experience can comment or correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I recently purchased the newer "Quench" drink package which includes non-alcoholic drinks including speciality coffee and cocktails. I believe it was about $17.50 a day but I think the convenience will pay for itself. If I remember correctly, it includes bottled and San Pellegrino (?) Bottled water as well. I tried to cut and paste but can't figure out how to make it work on here (better attend a computer class on board)

Here's how the $50 soda card works. Either pre-cruise or on board you purchase a $50 soda card. You are charged $25 to your credit card or ship account depending on whether you purchase the card in advance or onboard. When you use the card, you are charged for the cost of the drink plus a 15% gratuity. That amount is deducted from the balance on the soda card which starts at $50. So if a drink costs $1.95, as I recall, plus 15% or $0.29 for a total of $2.24 is deducted from your card. You can purchase as many drinks as you wish at a time using the card as long as there is value on it. Given that they are using electronic ordering, you don't always get a paper receipt, but you can always ask your server what the remaining balance is.

There is also an unlimited soda card that sells for $8/cruise day plus a 15% gratuity (paid in advance). With that card, one can drink unlimited sodas every day, but one can't share them with another person. One would have to drink at least 4 sodas a day to break even on that card.

I hope this explains the two types of soda cards that are available on HAL.

We have the signature beverage pkg and was given a $50 beverage card by our travel agent. Not sure why we would need both but if we can use the $50 card for our account that would help with the mandatory daily gratuity. But I too am interested in how the card works. Does the amount just get reduced by the amount of purchase?

Here's how the $50 soda card works. Either pre-cruise or on board you purchase a $50 soda card. You are charged $25 to your credit card or ship account depending on whether you purchase the card in advance or onboard. When you use the card, you are charged for the cost of the drink plus a 15% gratuity. That amount is deducted from the balance on the soda card which starts at $50. So if a drink costs $1.95, as I recall, plus 15% or $0.29 for a total of $2.24 is deducted from your card. You can purchase as many drinks as you wish at a time using the card as long as there is value on it. Given that they are using electronic ordering, you don't always get a paper receipt, but you can always ask your server what the remaining balance is.

There is also an unlimited soda card that sells for $8/cruise day plus a 15% gratuity (paid in advance). With that card, one can drink unlimited sodas every day, but one can't share them with another person. One would have to drink at least 4 sodas a day to break even on that card.

So I can assume that the alcohol drink card works the same way?

I believe they do, but I've never used one. There is an alcohol card that is good for 15 drinks per day for drinks up to a certain value. I'll let someone else chime in and explain any differences.

That is a very thorough and well explained post on purchasing soda onboard! Thank you for taking the time as it's appreciated.

dh

Simple answer is no. On a $50 beverage card you can purchase any beverage (soda, alcohol,coffee,water , etc) and you get $50 worth of drinks with the service charge part of the $50. A $50 beverage card costs $50.No savings but some (including me) thinks its convenient.

Simple answer is no. On a $50 beverage card you can purchase any beverage (soda, alcohol,coffee,water , etc) and you get $50 worth of drinks with the service charge part of the $50. A $50 beverage card costs $50.No savings but some (including me) thinks its convenient.

I understood that there was no savings with the alcohol card, I just meant that it was used like a normal gift card. I had originally thought that it allowed X number of drinks. What has been described works for me.