Pinnacle Status - Attainable?

So I met a couple on my last cruise who were Diamond + and in their early 70's. They said even though they take 3 to 4 cruises a year they will never make it to Pinnacle status. Mind you they have been cruising since early 2000's. What I thought was interesting is they were saying years ago RCCL used to have deals/sales were you earned double or triple points when booking cruises and it did not need to be a suite. They said many Pinnacle's today got there by using those double/triple bonus point sales. I know now the only way to get double points is booking a junior suite or higher. Seems like for those starting out now making it to Pinnacle will be very difficult if you cannot afford junior suite or higher. Booking say a standard balcony and taking three 7 day cruises a year (21 days) will take you 33 years to reach 700 nights. Heck it will take 16 years if always doing a suite at the rate of 21 days a year. I guess we will be happy with Diamond + when we reach that....

The bigger issue is that you got the same number of points for a 3 day cruise that you got for a 7. So, people who lived in FL could jump on a weekend cruise more often than most of the rest of us and moved up in status faster. Points were 1 per cruise, plus 1 if you were in a suite and an additional point for longer cruises (more than 10 days I think). That all ended a few years back and they moved to the current program. DH and I figure, that we won't make Pinnacle while we're young enough to enjoy it, so it's not likely even though we plan to cruise more when we retire, it would just take years. We're not quite 1/3 of the way there and we're 57 and 60 so we'll see, but we're not counting on it. We're just enjoying the benefits that come with D+.

I thought we would never make Diamond but did with three cruises in 2014 during our Australia trip. For us, it wasn't the points but visiting new places and meeting new friends that we got the most enjoyment from cruising. I won't live long enough to make Pinnacle but only need 1 cruise in a JS yet as a single cruiser now after losing DH on our last one I doubt I will take a JS unless our daughter or friend joins me or two cruises to make D +. We would have made it with our April 2018 cruises but have cancelled them now.

Same goes with the airlines, except you have to keep it up every single year. Take as an example American Airlines highest advertised level of Executive Platinum. If you were to fly around the world at the equator, you'd reach it on your fifth time. Or if you did New York (LGA) to Los Angeles (LAX) you'd have to make 20 round trips, and you'd hit it on the return of your 21st. Almost 2 every single month during a calendar year.

Only the weekly business travelers, or the rich who can afford business/first class for extra EQMs, have any chance of meeting it. I've flown to South Korea three times, Saudi Arabia once, and a handful of domestic trips for work (all economy) this year and I'm only Platinum status (2nd level of status). If I go to Japan as work is planning, I'd be 500 miles short of Platinum Pro (the 3rd level).

Needless to say, I'll never in my life reach Executive Platinum. Hundreds of others will though.

And there's a "secret level" even higher than that, called Concierge Key. They don't publish what it takes to get it, but logically it's even more miles.

In short, as has been said, it's only for the rich with the time to spare. (Also with your numbers, a solo traveler would get it on their 12th year doing 21 days of suites a year)

We started cruising, albeit sporadically, in 2001. We are just over half-way to Pinnacle status. The previous point accumulation schema definitely did not benefit us. However, I am not worrying about whether we will ever make Pinnacle because we travel for the experience and itinerary not the ship, hotel or airline points. It is a matter of priority. Pinnacle is attainable. The question is, is that your ultimate travel goal? It isn't for us. We take more land trips than cruises.

Having sailed with multiple pinnacles, there's a variety. Some just happened to get there. Others worked towards that goal. Some come across as loving the attention and treat it like it was an achievement rather than something they got for spending money lol. It's never been our goal, but for some it obviously is.

One thing to know about Pinnacles is that they did not get there by taking 3 to 4 cruises per year. Pinnacles generally don't take cruise "vacations" - it is a lifestyle and a preference to be on the water and so many cruise 3, 6, 9 (and some for almost 12) months of the year.

One thing to know about Pinnacles is that they did not get there by taking 3 to 4 cruises per year. Pinnacles generally don't take cruise "vacations" - it is a lifestyle and a preference to be on the water and so many cruise 3, 6, 9 (and some for almost 12) months of the year.

Depends on the cruise length. I sail 4 cruises a yr but they are always 13n, 12n, 11n and 10n cruises...

Making Pinnacle

Retiring in 2011 I took my first cruise in 2012 and liked it enough to take 4 more cruises in 2013, which got me hooked on cruising.

Most of these cruises were in a Grand Suite sailing as a couple for at least 7 days in the Caribbean.

In 2014 I started sailing solo in an interior cabin, which I prefer because the room is totally dark with the lights off and I only use the room for sleeping.

I only cruise in the months between November and May and only in the Caribbean to get away from the cold weather in northern Virginia.

Each year I added more cruises and became Pinnacle on the Adventure February 18,2017.

So it really only takes about 4 years getting double points if you're retired and get hooked on cruises.

I book 20 cruises a year usually on the ship when the cruises first come out about 2 years in advance that sail in the southern Caribbean and have a Promenade.

Once you get over 350 C&A points solo's only have to pay 1.5x vs. 2x before that.

I budget $25k for 5 months which is about the same as I would pay if I were at home.

The benefits are no grocery shopping, cleaning and cooking.

Once you're on the ship everything is there for you and the cooking and entertainment is definitely better than if I stayed home.

There are more retired folks doing this than you think and the amount of folks doing it are more than you would think.

But what's so nice about cruising is that you meet about 4000 people who have paid good money to have a good time.

Now if that is not a recipe for a good time I don't know what is.

For several years, people who were at the Diamond level got double points for the Diamond Celebration, or it was also known as Diamond in December. Even in an inside room, each person got double credit/points. Some people stayed onboard all month. If you were in a JS you got double points for the December Celebration, and 7 more for the JS. Folks could get 84 points in December, for 4 weeks in a JS. D in D stopped in December 2012. We were Diamond in 2011 and 2012 and got a few extra that way. It had been going on for awhile before we got to Diamond.

Easiest/quickest path to Pinnacle is solo cruising.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes and in a Jr. Suite (or higher) to get triple points. Then you only need 234 cruise days to get Pinnacle.

For several years, people who were at the Diamond level got double points for the Diamond Celebration, or it was also known as Diamond in December. Even in an inside room, each person got double credit/points. Some people stayed onboard all month. If you were in a JS you got double points for the December Celebration, and 7 more for the JS. Folks could get 84 points in December, for 4 weeks in a JS. D in D stopped in December 2012. We were Diamond in 2011 and 2012 and got a few extra that way. It had been going on for awhile before we got to Diamond.
Laura booked Freedom for December 2013 anticipating it might continue, but alas, it did not.

She did however, get the bonus points because 2013 was when the solo bonus started. [emoji16]

Of our 706 points, 21 came from the Diamonds in December promotion, 27 from the conversion of points to days, 41 from full suites, 93 from junior suites, 163 from solo, and 361 from actual nights onboard.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, I recall the December Diamond Celebration Event. We were able to take one 4 day cruise out of Florida in a Jr. Suite in December 2011. Got 3 points (equivalent to 21 cruise days). On that cruise, we met another couple who was going to be on the ship in December for four weeks (four 4 day cruises and four 3 day cruises) in a Jr. Suite. Assuming they were already at the Diamond C&A level and if my math is correct, they would have earned 24 points (8 cruises x3) or 168 cruise days.

Sure was glad when they moved to points. It evened the playing field for C and A points. When they had D in D we both worked so being on for a month wasn't an option, plus most every time we cruise, flights are involved. Made it a lot harder to get extra points. We roll past 350 in January. We have only been in a JS 5x in 34 cruises, and our joy of cruising is to do it together. So most of what we have were earned a point per night. We aren't gunning for Pinnacle. Actually other than one additional gift, there's nothing more given to D+ members after 340 other than a block here and there. I'm fine with the perks offered but our cruise on Celebrity in May was enjoyable and we had better freebies, went to 3 islands new to us. As far as RC, we have been on 16 different ships, so we've had an interesting cruise career, along with all the lovely cruise friends we've met.

Right now, my main goal is just to get up to the 150% solo cruise benefit level. That'll save some real money. :) If I keep up the rate I've cruised RCL over the past year, I should get there in about 32 months, unless I do something like sail in inside cabins instead of balconies, and go twice as often... hmmm... :)

We nearly got to half a Pineapple Split ( half a pinnacle , 350 points ) Mariner Singapore to Miami in a J/S , good price , then we had eastern and western carribbean on Allure OTS ...... now stuck in Barcelona and will fly home . Royal offered $500 compensation if after canceled cruise you booked flight and were flying home . not if you were doing Two more Cruises then goin to see Micky And Donald Then fly home ....

Maybe see you good folk when we win lotto . so close but so far

Trouble (peter)

For me Pinnacle is for the select few who cruise a lot and are committed to Royal Caribbean. So a worthy reward but not one that I will be chasing.

I am happy with my D status. Only a couple of cruises away from achieving D+ but I will not be chasing points to achieve this. I will get there if at some point but it doesn't influence my choices.

I have friends who are musicians on the ship. So I go visit them when they are on board. And pinnacle came after 43 cruises. In a little more then 7 years. And I'm in my 40s.

I don't see the big deal, but to some it is. Just have fun and keep the reggae playing. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Same goes with the airlines, except you have to keep it up every single year. Take as an example American Airlines highest advertised level of Executive Platinum. If you were to fly around the world at the equator, you'd reach it on your fifth time. Or if you did New York (LGA) to Los Angeles (LAX) you'd have to make 20 round trips, and you'd hit it on the return of your 21st. Almost 2 every single month during a calendar year.

Only the weekly business travelers, or the rich who can afford business/first class for extra EQMs, have any chance of meeting it. I've flown to South Korea three times, Saudi Arabia once, and a handful of domestic trips for work (all economy) this year and I'm only Platinum status (2nd level of status). If I go to Japan as work is planning, I'd be 500 miles short of Platinum Pro (the 3rd level).

Needless to say, I'll never in my life reach Executive Platinum. Hundreds of others will though.

And there's a "secret level" even higher than that, called Concierge Key. They don't publish what it takes to get it, but logically it's even more miles.

In short, as has been said, it's only for the rich with the time to spare. (Also with your numbers, a solo traveler would get it on their 12th year doing 21 days of suites a year)

LOL Concierge Key is a real level, yes it is very difficult to get but I can say we usually have at least one on each flight I work. They are usually low key (aside from the ride to the gate arrival and I have yet to see the car) and sometimes have to sit in economy (gasp). My Executive Platinum's have brought it to my attention how difficult the company is making it on them to keep elite status and trust me, the company is looking into the situation, i.e something will be done in the near future. The most SECRET status with my airline are the passengers who were able to purchase airfare for life back in the early 90's. They bought a very expensive package with the company which basically stated they will have first class airfare for life, per person, not per family. Those passengers are called AirPass and while they are not treated quite as well as CK's, they are for sure taken care of by all of us at the company. :) I LOVE my frequent fliers, they are always the most understanding when you know what hits the fan and they give me the best compliment letters. My favorite was when one handed me a compliment card that LITERALLY said "For being so amazing to the cabin and dealing with the a******e in (insert seat number)*. " :'):')

With all this being said, THANK you so much for flying with us, we appreciate our passengers and our frequent passengers so much and cannot thank y'all enough for coming back to us time after time.

ANYWHO....My BF and I were talking about this subject the other day. We are myself 32 (eeek) and he is 27 (I'm a cougar) and we have three cruises booked next year. I have cruised with RC before but he has not so one of us has baby Gold status and one will be brand new. We did the math like many of y'all did and we came to the conclusion that we will probably never reach the top but have decided Diamond and/or Diamond Plus will be our goal. We also want to cruise on other lines throughout our life times (i.e Cunard, Seabourn, etc) when we can afford to do so. Therefore, we know we will not gain points with those lines towards any status with RCCL so we have accepted our fate. GOOD LUCK to all those aiming for Pinnacle though!!! Who knows, maybe they will make it a little more attainable in the future, but until then we can all enjoy the perks we have and the ones we can look forward to enjoying.

Happy Sailing Everyone!! We have 119 days until our next cruise. :cool::tropical-drink::tropical-drink:

Lots of great replies here. I and the wife will be happy reaching D+. If we were to ever get Pinnacle than that is just icing on the cake. We decided to stay with RCCL as we like the amount of ships and variety of itinerary after trying 3 other cruise lines. We also like the status match with Celebrity and plan on sailing with them when we get higher with RCCL. We just did our first 7 night on Oasis and have a 15 night TA in April and 7 night to Alaska in Sept. We are now looking at another TA in 2019 and a 7 night eastern Carib. So slowly but surely climbing up...