Halloween on a cruise ship

lillulu

Hello,

I am tying to find out what they actually do on a ship for Halloween if anything at all.

One of my fellow cruises posted this on our roll call but never really got any answer. So, I thought I might post it here and find out.

I asked a bit ago about Halloween on the ship. I did call Holland America and they said the big thing they do on the cruise for Halloween is a masquerade ball. Does anyone have experience with this? Just wondering if we should bring anything special for this, or really what it is?

I plan on decorating my door for Halloween even though I know some frown upon door decorations. I have a special needs child and she enjoys it as I decorate our cabin as well. On another ship(different line) I even brought candy to hand out. There were a lot of kids on that ship but, It was the adults who kept asking for candy lol. I didn't mind, I had plenty to go around. *I'm kind of a jokester at times. So, I had condoms for the single men and woman that were on the cruise* They got a kick out if it. I didn't have many of those left I must say. Hahahahaaaa

It really depends on the ship, captain, hotel manager and cruise director.

We have been on ships where all they had were a few decorations in the Lido and a few crew members had a pumpkin contest and passengers voted on the best one.

Other ships had the Lido and dining room decorated.

Very few passengers dressed up. Club HAL will have something for the children.

Around 9 PM on a couple of ships there was a pub crawl followed by a dance in the Crow's Nest.

It really depends on the ship, captain, hotel manager and cruise director.

We have been on ships where all they had were a few decorations in the Lido and a few crew members had a pumpkin contest and passengers voted on the best one.

Other ships had the Lido and dining room decorated.

Very few passengers dressed up. Club HAL will have something for the children.

Around 9 PM on a couple of ships there was a pub crawl followed by a dance in the Crow's Nest.

Thank you for your quick reply. My handicapped daughter is 30 years old so they will not let her participate in the kids stuff. I wish they would have she functions as a second grader. I went through a horrible ordeal with Carnival years ago. I find on Holland she can get into the swimming pools and not be jumped on or dunked under and can enjoy herself as there seem to not be as many kids. We try to find things to keep her occupied so she does not get bord.

So, for our cruise they did say they would have a masquerade ball. Does anyone have experience with this? Just wondering if we should bring anything special for this, or really what it is? Do you know what it really is? Just a mask???

A majority of cruisers, on most ships, do absolutely nothing special on Halloween cruises. Some ships, especially those on shorter 7 day cruises, will have some kind of costume function which can vary from a get together in the Atrium to a costume dance (when the overwhelming majority of passengers will be in their normal clothes). As to decorating doors, that is one of those personal preference things. Only a small percentage of cruisers do any kind of door decoration. DW used to be an Elementary School teacher and said that when she retired.....she had done her last door decoration.

Hank

We were on the Koningsdam for Halloween last year. There were a few things decorated, most notably the passenger services desk was all done up in spider webs and had candy to hand out. Some passengers went all out with their costumes - most notable to me was a lady in a great Cleopatra costume. The number of people with costumes was low. We just had devil-horn headbands that we wore- we got lots of funny comments about them.

Hello,

I am tying to find out what they actually do on a ship for Halloween if anything at all.

One of my fellow cruises posted this on our roll call but never really got any answer. So, I thought I might post it here and find out.

I asked a bit ago about Halloween on the ship. I did call Holland America and they said the big thing they do on the cruise for Halloween is a masquerade ball. Does anyone have experience with this? Just wondering if we should bring anything special for this, or really what it is?

I plan on decorating my door for Halloween even though I know some frown upon door decorations. I have a special needs child and she enjoys it as I decorate our cabin as well. On another ship(different line) I even brought candy to hand out. There were a lot of kids on that ship but, It was the adults who kept asking for candy lol. I didn't mind, I had plenty to go around.

We have been on a cruiseship three times at Halloween. One HAL, and two Princess. All three we have dressed up, decorated the door, passed out candy, and had halloween decorations in the room. On HAL they had a halloween dance after dinner in the Crow's nest, and there were not hundreds there, but there was enough to make it a party. The DJ and the Cruise Director made it a lot of fun. One Princess Ship went all out- They had set up a haunted house and everything. Had the Photography Station with a Halloween background, etc. On both ships the dining room staff dressed up for Halloween (Yes, Superman was serving dinner :D). Also both ships asked if we wanted to sit at dinner with others in costume, so that was fun too. All three had dances for Halloween.

I am of the opinion that you should do everything fun that all of you would enjoy. The room stewards all had a chuckle too, and joined in on our frivolities, and one we "played a trick on" his words- When we put Skull pillowcases on the bed.

If you are not leaving from your homeport and need to fly, there are 99 cent and Dollartree's usually near the port. Halloween decorations can be bought there and left on the ship, or take fun lightweight stuff, and if you need to can leave on the ship.

Below attached is the picture of why the room steward thought we were tricking him. I don't know why it isn't coming up, so you'll have to click on it.

AC

90277485_IMG_1333copy.jpg.5732c3af2b5785f5964e47ec3bf4bf34.jpg

We have been on a cruiseship three times at Halloween. One HAL, and two Princess. All three we have dressed up, decorated the door, passed out candy, and had halloween decorations in the room. On HAL they had a halloween dance after dinner in the Crow's nest, and there were not hundreds there, but there was enough to make it a party. The DJ and the Cruise Director made it a lot of fun. One Princess Ship went all out- They had set up a haunted house and everything. Had the Photography Station with a Halloween background, etc. On both ships the dining room staff dressed up for Halloween (Yes, Superman was serving dinner :D). Also both ships asked if we wanted to sit at dinner with others in costume, so that was fun too. All three had dances for Halloween.

I am of the opinion that you should do everything fun that all of you would enjoy. The room stewards all had a chuckle too, and joined in on our frivolities, and one we "played a trick on" his words- When we put Skull pillowcases on the bed.

If you are not leaving from your homeport and need to fly, there are 99 cent and Dollartree's usually near the port. Halloween decorations can be bought there and left on the ship, or take fun lightweight stuff, and if you need to can leave on the ship.

Below attached is the picture of why the room steward thought we were tricking him. I don't know why it isn't coming up, so you'll have to click on it.

AC[/quote

This is awesome!!! Sounds and looks like something I myself would have done. I already have the decorations. But thinking of those skeltons makes me want to tease with our room steward. Thank you for the information.

We were on the Koningsdam for Halloween last year. There were a few things decorated, most notably the passenger services desk was all done up in spider webs and had candy to hand out. Some passengers went all out with their costumes - most notable to me was a lady in a great Cleopatra costume. The number of people with costumes was low. We just had devil-horn headbands that we wore- we got lots of funny comments about them.

We will also be on the Koningsdam. Will just make our own fun if there is nothing going on. The last Halloween one we did was on Carnival 2010. I was little red riding hood, my friend was the big bad wolf. We had a great time. This time I will have my daughter with me.

AC

OK, that "trick" you played on your room steward was funny! Hope you left him a "treat" to go with the "trick"! :')

The one time we were on a cruise ship on Halloween the ship decorated the dining room and some crew dressed up. Some passengers had costumes, most didn't because it was a longer cruise and many didn't have suitcase room for a costume. Saw a few togas made with bedsheets! Fun night though and enjoyed the costumes that were worn. If I am on board on Halloween again I will take something that doesn't require much suitcase room or pick something up in port to wear. Makes the night more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Amsterdam 50 day cruise to the South Pacific:

1. Some cabin doors were decorated; most were not decorated
  2. Some passengers dressed in costume for dinner in main dining room
  3. Special Halloween party in crow's nest; included games, food, dancing, and contest for best costumes; participants had a good time; no costumes were in bad taste; most costumes very creative.