Finally Platinum Status.. But.. Will I go on NCL anymore?

NyYankees2k3

My replies are in purple.

1) No more salmon lox at buffet.

Don't know how long this has been going on for, but last trip I went on, we went to buffet (normally do sit down) and they did not have it. I asked one of the head waitresses and she was nice enough to get some for me. She did bring out almost 1.5 lbs worth was insane. I felt bad not eating it all.

I do not eat salmon lox, therefore I have no issue with this. However, I do get it when you wanted certain food & they do not have it out. But since you asked & they provided it to you, then this was problem solved. You wasn't happy? NCL changed their menus over time and so are their chefs. Food on cruise lines are always ups and downs. I missed the chicken pot that was provided in O'sheehan's.

2) No more lobster tails at regular dining.

I know this has been gone for a while? But I purchased the dinning package last time, and paid even more money for the lobster at Ocean Blue, and was not impressed. The lobster tail for "free" at the regular dinning in the past was better than that one. Everything else at Ocean blue was great, and the service was excellent!

Sorry, I do not eat lobsters so I have no problem with this.

3) Alcohol package prices / drink prices

Recently the price going up has bothered me. It does mean you have to tip more now since base went up. Plus, what if you didn't want it and paid for drinks. Regular drink prices on NCL are INSANE. Carnival and Princess still have reasonable prices without package. Not sure about RCCL, haven't been on them in a while. Also, it was nice when the gratuity on the alcohol package was included. It still is on Princess. Have used the "free" package on Princess last year, and also will use it next year. Plus theirs, includes all coffee and bottled water!! To comment further, they now have a surcharge for "super premium", that was included when they first started the package. Also, certain wines now (the more expensive) or only available on the drink package in the more expensive dining locations. What's going to be next? How far will they go?!?

Yes, the price increased by $10 and soft drinks are now included in the package. However, no premium coffee and bottle water.

On my first cruise with NCL, I picked the beverage perk. Even though I love their frozen drinks, I was not much of a drinker. For those that are a drinker, they probably will still choose the beverage perk. Without the beverage perk, it depends on how much drinks one would get. Some people would use their OBC to pay for these few drinks.

There are water, juices and other drink provided free on board.

4) Quality of service

Personally I think the service quality has gone down.

I only been to one cruise, so I cannot comment if the service quality has gone down.

Drinks - I remember back in the day, when you go on the ship, they would be in your FACE trying to get you to buy a drink. I feel like now with the alcohol package, it can be harder to get a drink, during peak times. I did find it was hit or mess, if you were laying out by the pool, someone would come by and get you a drink. That was really nice, when that would happen. Honestly, I didn't really care too much, considering the bar is about 20 feet away, and I am not that lazy. I won't say this is with everyone, there are so many great bartenders still on the ships and I know they work hard.

I have no issue with this as I like to visit the same bar myself and the bartender recognized me. Asked if I would like the same drink. I did not have a hard time or had to wait too long during any time (peak or off peak).

Dining - The last few times we had long waits while sitting down for dinner. By this, I mean we were already sitting down, waiting for the wait staff to come by to get a drink, or place our food order. It wasn't all the time, but the last 2 cruises, I thought it was longer than normal. I didn't complain or say anything. I am wondering about similar experiences?

I do not have this issue as I had dining with a group of solo travelers and the reservation was done under the solo traveler host. :)

Nickel and Diming - Doesn't other cruise lines do the same? I had no issue as NCL did not nickel and dime me. Didn't use their room service as there was no need to.

LONG POST. Read if you are bored OR interested in my comments :cool:

I am finally Platinum status on NCL. I actually got it back in June, but haven't booked any upcoming cruises yet on NCL. My next cruise will be next year on Princess (will be 2nd time with them). I do love NCL, as most of the 15 or so cruises I have been on has been with them and have always recommended them to my friends. However, the more and more cruises I have been on recently with them (5 in the last 2.5 years), I am starting to take my business elsewhere. Overall, I think their service is declining and they keep nickel and dimeing their customers (this bothers me the most). I am curious how others are feeling and their opinions on recent travel. I'll describe a little bit about myself / experiences lately, to get a better understanding of where I am coming from. My goal out of the post is to share experiences / opinions good or bad.

Me - 31 year old male. Travel with wife last several cruises. Normally book Balcony, sometimes inside if Balcony is super expensive. Always try to upgrade to Balcony. I like to drink when I am on vacation. 99% of the time I DO NOT get stupid in public and behave myself ;p. I also like to dress up at night and go the majority of the shows on board. I'm NOT, what I like to call a chronic vacation complainer. Someone who will complain about everything while on vacation and no matter what you do for them, they can't be pleased.

Disclaimer - Trust me, I realize NCL needs to make a profit and make money for their shareholders. But, my question is how far will they go, until they are going to start to loose customers. My gripes listed below are focusing on how the last few years NCL (in my opinion) has gone excessive when it comes to charging more, and losing benefits. I am not saying I won't go on NCL anymore, but in the past they always seemed to be "the best bang for your buck" with the best service, and now I don't think so.

My recent "gripes", no particular order -

1) No more salmon lox at buffet.

Don't know how long this has been going on for, but last trip I went on, we went to buffet (normally do sit down) and they did not have it. I asked one of the head waitresses and she was nice enough to get some for me. She did bring out almost 1.5 lbs worth was insane. I felt bad not eating it all.

2) No more lobster tails at regular dining.

I know this has been gone for a while? But I purchased the dinning package last time, and paid even more money for the lobster at Ocean Blue, and was not impressed. The lobster tail for "free" at the regular dinning in the past was better than that one. Everything else at Ocean blue was great, and the service was excellent!

3) Alcohol package prices / drink prices

Recently the price going up has bothered me. It does mean you have to tip more now since base went up. Plus, what if you didn't want it and paid for drinks. Regular drink prices on NCL are INSANE. Carnival and Princess still have reasonable prices without package. Not sure about RCCL, haven't been on them in a while. Also, it was nice when the gratuity on the alcohol package was included. It still is on Princess. Have used the "free" package on Princess last year, and also will use it next year. Plus theirs, includes all coffee and bottled water!! To comment further, they now have a surcharge for "super premium", that was included when they first started the package. Also, certain wines now (the more expensive) or only availble on the drink package in the more expensive dining locaitons. What's going to be next? How far will they go?!?

4) Quality of service

Personally I think the service quality has gone down.

Drinks - I remember back in the day, when you go on the ship, they would be in your FACE trying to get you to buy a drink. I feel like now with the alcohol package, it can be harder to get a drink, during peak times. I did find it was hit or mess, if you were laying out by the pool, someone would come by and get you a drink. That was really nice, when that would happen. Honestly, I didn't really care too much, consdering the bar is about 20 feet away, and I am not that lazy. I won't say this is with everyone, there are so many great bartenders still on the ships and I know they work hard.

Dining - The last few times we had long waites while sitting down for dinner. By this, I mean we were already sitting down, waiting for the wait staff to come by to get a drink, or place our food order. It wasn't all the time, but the last 2 cruises, I thought it was longer than normal. I didn't complain or say anything. I am wondering about similar expereinces?

Interested in your comments, hopefully you didn't fall asleep reading this.

I agree with most points, I cannot comment on the seafood part as I don't eat shelled fish. But rather than go through all your niggles and respond, for which I thank you as I feel the same....I sat here and thought about cruising in general.

Yes, of course it's getting more popular. Younger people are booking it as a celebration holiday (honeymoon, big birthdays) and then thinking, hold on I loved that cruise! And booking more.

There's fewer older people, more a mix of all ages. Plus, sorry to say but NCL have a lot of Asian cruisers. They. Don't. Queue! They are rude and push into line as they're not used to doing so in their countries, its first come, first served there as they're so many of them! That pees me off! Especially, when a) coming out of the lift. They don't hesitate to ask are you coming out, they just push right in! b) I use the Disabled loo and they don't care about using it even if they're not! One Japanese man (ok he was prob about 65/70, but walked fine) was in there 18 mins! I needed to pop in there before an excursion. Because of that, I had to go quick to the coach and wait 2 hours. Fuming! [emoji36]

c) corridors - the whole family walk side by side and aren't courteous at all. Well, we have learned how to do the elbow dance. We do it when going along corridors and coming out the lift, or they push into you! Sorry, rant over!

You could try the Bliss, it may be that NCL staff on there will be more "polished", give it one more go.

If so, we will see you on there in May!

Thanks for the heads up on services etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think OP's point is lost on many responders.

If a responder doesn't eat lox or lobster, that isn't the point.

The point is that these are higher-priced items that have been cut back. OP goes on to show how, in his opinion, overall service has declined.

The point is that these are higher-priced items that have been cut back. OP goes on to show how, in his opinion, overall service has declined.

My point is that OP was served lox and more than he needed. He just had to ask. Why is he still complaining? It is on the ship, you just have to ask. I don't think that is much of a hardship. Lobster is no longer available at all - that's an issue, if you cruise revolves entirely around eating lobster. (For some, it seems that way.)

The other point is that if a majority of responders say they don't eat lox or lobster, that's probably why they are no longer on the menu. They are expensive and a large number of people don't eat them. The people that show up on CC to complain about it are the few who actually do.

As far as dining room service goes, I order everything that I want to eat, including dessert, at the start of my meal. The service is much faster, less lag time between courses, and it is also easier for your waitstaff. Unless you prefer a long, drawn out meal, trust me on this one. I would rather make it on time to the next show.

Exactly! He wants your opinion on the general decline of service and specific higher priced food. Obviously, NCL are cutting back and like someone said "less request for lobster" etc. So.....that works in their favour.

I read that services are slow, particularly in the MDR. The 3 times (out of 11 nights on last cruise May 17 on the Spirit) the breakfast was rushed! Boom boom boom, we walk in at 8.45, they'd like us out by 9 or soon after, when the door gets closed. Ideally, Id like my tea first, Steve my partner has coffee. Then cereal, then maybe eggs, lastly toast. They ALWAYS frigging bring the toast with the tea, which is cold and hard as stone once I've finished my cereal etc. [emoji35]. But, in general, most things are ok.

It is annoying the mini bar is full on arrival and yes, you'd like to use it for your expensive water package, but you store them in the valuable wardrobe space and put in one at a time, along with the rest of the wine you bought and don't want wasting, which is crammed in, on a slant! [emoji53]

We ordered flowers, they were in a green florist block, thus the flowers died within 2 days as you can't pour water on it or your mobile etc. gets flooded on the tiny desk! Aargh. So you stick it in the shower tray and soak it, leaving it to drip with no daylight and bring it out after dinner, placing a large towel under, just in case.

The balconies - are designed for midgets. Sorry but the table just about has room for 2 teas. I'd rather have fold up chairs and use it to walk out on, maybe at night, and do the sail away on embarkation days from ports. I wouldn't use the seats much at the time of year we sail (May or September), bit breezy!

The shows, fab, first time around. 2nd ok, 3rd,4th etc., may get a bit waring?

Yes, we are allowed/forgiven for moaning. We'd like other fellow NCL sailers to say, yep, I associate with that! But we'd not say no to another NCL Cruise. [emoji51][emoji44][emoji41]

We took our first cruise on the Epic back in 2013. We are doing a med cruise next month, after which we will be Platinum. I am to the point though that I think we may need to leave NCL for another brand. We have definitely seen some changes since Del Rio took over. None of which is appealing to us.

As an NCL stock holder, I'm going to go with the price results. Up about $20.00 over the last year, and they give me a $100.00 credit on each cruise for holding the stock. Never had a bad cruise; usually a few minor problems at the worst. Have yet to have a problem getting some lox.

Well I have booked my first NCL cruise after 6 cruises with RCCL for more or less similar reasons.......staff cutbacks, poorer quality of food in the MDR, ridiculous pricing on European cruises. Absolutely dreadful customer booking line, many of them can barely speak English. An completely unhelpful due to this.

My NCL booking was a dream, knowledgeable staff member with good English and a price that I was happy with.

Looking good so far......

More than happy to see what NCL has to offer now......

My point is that OP was served lox and more than he needed. He just had to ask. Why is he still complaining? It is on the ship, you just have to ask. I don't think that is much of a hardship. Lobster is no longer available at all - that's an issue, if you cruise revolves entirely around eating lobster. (For some, it seems that way.)

The other point is that if a majority of responders say they don't eat lox or lobster, that's probably why they are no longer on the menu. They are expensive and a large number of people don't eat them. The people that show up on CC to complain about it are the few who actually do.

I wasn't going to say anything, but you totally missed my point. It's like I personally offended you. Do you argue with everyone you talk to? Relax. It's just freaking salmon lox. I really dont care. It was an observation. This was one thing I personally noticed.

All the cruise lines have cut back to some extent. Those of you who are knocking NCL, should mosey over to the celebrity forums. By my signature, you will find that I'm not an NCL loyalist. I'm just trying to make a point.

Thanks for your comment, found that interesting. Again if people read my post. I wasn't bashing NCL. It's like I personally offended certain people.

You understood exactly what I was getting at. Thanks. Again yeah I cared about fish and noticed a few changes. People who don't care about that would never notice. I was more interested if other people noticed other things.

And the people who comments on other cruises lines doing the same valid points.

If other cruises lines are doing the same, again my main point was how far will all of them go? Remember "midnight buffets" way back when? To me they were awesome but totally uncessary. My opinion.

All I am saying, and yes, this is drastic, but what if eventually there is an upcharge for everything?? Oh you want to eat at 6pm, that's $10. Oh you want to get off the ship early, pay $10. Think about theme parks that charge to skip the line. Yes you don't have to do that, but still.

Most people got what I was getting at, but man. Other people, look up constructive criticism. Or a simple discussion. It's like you I was attacking your partner or something.

You understood exactly what I was getting at. Thanks. Again yeah I cared about fish and noticed a few changes. People who don't care about that would never notice. I was more interested if other people noticed other things.

And the people who comments on other cruises lines doing the same valid points.

If other cruises lines are doing the same, again my main point was how far will all of them go? Remember "midnight buffets" way back when? To me they were awesome but totally uncessary. My opinion.

All I am saying, and yes, this is drastic, but what if eventually there is an upcharge for everything?? Oh you want to eat at 6pm, that's $10. Oh you want to get off the ship early, pay $10. Think about theme parks that charge to skip the line. Yes you don't have to do that, but still.

Most people got what I was getting at, but man. Other people, look up constructive criticism. Or a simple discussion. It's like you I was attacking your partner or something.

So....I'm hoping I associated with your OP, if you read mine?

When's your next NCL cruise? [emoji6]

So....I'm hoping I associated with your OP, if you read mine?

When's your next NCL cruise? [emoji6]

Yes, haha. I honestly am thinking about the Bliss. I wonder if they would do that ship starting from Alaska. I've always wanted to do Alaska, and that ship seems beautiful. I thought starting in Alaska and spending a few days there first would work well, but not sure if that ship has that itenerary. Haven't looked.

I wasn't going to say anything, but you totally missed my point. It's like I personally offended you. Do you argue with everyone you talk to? Relax. It's just freaking salmon lox. I really dont care. It was an observation. This was one thing I personally noticed.

I am relaxed, thank you for asking. No, I don’t argue with everyone, and I wasn’t arguing with you, just trying to understand your complaint.

I think you missed my point. If there is an item that used to be freely available that is now available on request, it is still available. I don’t think you can call that a cutback. It’s not missing. You just have to ask.

Also, you do care, or you wouldn’t have posted about it in the first place.

I personally think about the time people reach platinum, the magic has started to wear off. It’s still fun, but it’s not a novelty. You start noticing things that were probably in the back of your mind earlier, but they’re now coming to the forefront. It’s the same theory as the seven-year itch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, haha. I honestly am thinking about the Bliss. I wonder if they would do that ship starting from Alaska. I've always wanted to do Alaska, and that ship seems beautiful. I thought starting in Alaska and spending a few days there first would work well, but not sure if that ship has that itenerary. Haven't looked.

I think Bliss is alternating Alaska voyages with Caribbean? I may be wrong, after our cruise. It's worth looking at the itineraries for the Bliss. We are booked on it May 10th, 2018 Miami, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera ending in LA. It might be worth you trying either that one or the inaugural Southampton to NY to see if it's a ship you'd like to do to Alaska.

Personally? I'd choose a smaller ship/company that doesn't need to tender to the best parts of it.

I've got my eye on Jet, Set, Sail to anywhere with Celebrity. Sounds fab, they advertise it on a Planet Cruise channel here in the U.K. called Ideal World channel. You can in fact watch the shows on YouTube, useful if visiting Europe.

Off to bed now 01:30 GMT! [emoji42]

Nope you'd have to look at the Jewel. None of the Bliss itineraries start in Alaska.

I am relaxed, thank you for asking. No, I don’t argue with everyone, and I wasn’t arguing with you, just trying to understand your complaint.

I think you missed my point. If there is an item that used to be freely available that is now available on request, it is still available. I don’t think you can call that a cutback. It’s not missing. You just have to ask.

I personally think about the time people reach platinum, the magic has started to wear off. It’s still fun, but it’s not a novelty. You start noticing things that were probably in the back of your mind earlier, but they’re now coming to the forefront. It’s the same theory as the seven-year itch.

I appreciate this post. I agree with what you are saying and interesting perspective. You are right, I guess the more and more you cruise you start to notice certain things. After reading more and more comments, it won't keep me going on NCL again.

I think Bliss is alternating Alaska voyages with Caribbean? I may be wrong, after our cruise. It's worth looking at the itineraries for the Bliss. We are booked on it May 10th, 2018 Miami, Panama Canal, Mexican Riviera ending in LA. It might be worth you trying either that one or the inaugural Southampton to NY to see if it's a ship you'd like to do to Alaska.

Personally? I'd choose a smaller ship/company that doesn't need to tender to the best parts of it.

I've got my eye on Jet, Set, Sail to anywhere with Celebrity. Sounds fab, they advertise it on a Planet Cruise channel here in the U.K. called Ideal World channel. You can in fact watch the shows on YouTube, useful if visiting Europe.

Off to bed now 01:30 GMT! [emoji42]

Enjoy that Panama Canal Bliss cruise. I actually looked at that exact same one. But couldn't get that dates to work with job. Have fun!!

I totally agree about wearing off. It is like your first kiss versus being married 50 years. Things don't always hold that magic. We love cruising, as we age realize it is the best vacation for us, but that same glow isn't there as it was the first few times we boarded a ship. This has nothing to do with what line we are on. :cool:

We sail primary NCL. But, if you are looking at an Alaska cruise it would be the perfect opportunity to try Princess. IMO, they are the best for Alaska especially if you are looking at doing a cruisetour.

The one thing that is a must when doing Alaska is Glacier Bay. I think I am correct in that The Bliss does not go in the Glacier Bay, you would need to take a smaller ship, such as the Pearl.

I totally agree about wearing off. It is like your first kiss versus being married 50 years. Things don't always hold that magic. We love cruising, as we age realize it is the best vacation for us, but that same glow isn't there as it was the first few times we boarded a ship. This has nothing to do with what line we are on. :cool:

I will say that sometimes it’s just the staff, or the other passengers, or the phase of the moon that make you start realizing all the little annoyances, and then they can become big annoyances. The next time, it’s all sweetness and unicorns.

The other issue is that by the time you make Platinum, you’ve probably been on a number of ships, and you’ve been through a number of rules changes from corporate. You read the griping (I mean critiques) on here. You are one of those “Remember the good old days” people.

My wife said last year after our Christmas cruise, “I think that was our last cruise.” Then, we did a Transatlantic in April and we’re on the Jade at Christmas.

We did three in a year (2 NCL, 1 Carnival) a couple of years ago and I think we overdid it. However, every time I price alternatives, a cruise wins.

Just try another cruise line. Why would you consider NCL when you have all these issues? You state you like Princess, then go with them, I'd suggest.

I just got off of RCI and I feel they have gone way down hill, more than any other line. I honestly think after a handful of cruises it just gets monotonous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums