Grand princess drydock for refurbishment?

USCAdventurer

Just wondering what type of "refurbishment" the OP believes Grand is in need of.

Because had they taken even the briefest look at either the Grand Princess page on the Princess website--or other recent threads on here--they would have found out that Grand is actually ahead of the fleet having received in December 2016:

• a brand new MUTS screen
  • Sabatini's completely remodeled into Sabatini's Trattoria
  • the new Cups and Cones replacing the old ice cream stand
  • the kids and teens clubs rebranded as Camp Discovery
  • all new or reconditioned tables and chairs in the Horizon Court
  • completion of adding Princess Luxury Bed to every stateroom
  • the usual rehab or replacement of carpet and soft furnishings in public areas

So if you are reading reviews that discuss the ship's condition be sure they are from 2017 and not before.

And remember that most of the grousing is simply from people who booked a ship launched in 1998 but were expecting "new ship smell" and all the other megaship bells and whistles. They have only themselves to blame for having unrealistic expectations due to their failure to ask before booking.

thanks for all your replies. i have been sailing celebrity lately and haven't even looked at the princess website or princess grand website in a couple of years. the last time i sailed on the grand was 2013 and she was terrific then so i just thought i'd find out what's new with the grand. now i know. i'll be sailing a northwest pacific cruise on october 7, 2018.

t

USC, we are booked on the same Oct. 7, Pacific Northwest Cruise. Been on Grand since it's December major drydock up at Vigor Ship Yard in Portland, Or. Her thrusters, stabilizers, and propellers/shafts were all refurbished. Also repaired was the Tender Platform door. I've not use the remodeled Youth & Teen centers, but Sabatini is much more modern and bright, Coffee & Cones for specialty coffee is great. The shops were also remodeled and they brought in lots of high end stuff. We do Grand three times a year and we like all her up grades and the crew is like family. Stan

Dave, forgot to mention, Grand Princess had Engine Scrubbers installed. Call the "Exhaust Gas Cleaning System". It reduces the sulfur particulars from engine exhaust. Big job. All of Princess older ships will have them installed and Grand had it installed in December. Stan

Deck plan (https://www.princess.com/deckPlans.do?shipCode=AP) says Sabatini's Trattoria. Is that incorrect?

What I meant was -- back in Princess' initial wild excitement over Curtis Stone, they

were going to convert many (all?) Sabatini's to Share.

Sadly, actual customers didn't share (get it?) the enthusiasm.

Re-doing Sabatini's seems to suggest it isn't going to become Share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I cruised the islands on NCL (2006) but the one thing I remember doing that was a good idea was to rent a car in Kauai and do that one on our own.

We are going on the Hawaii 15 day sanfrancisco grand princess cruise on January 22 2018. We are looking for some good tours to do. We are looking for some interesting fun reasonable tours. Please help

She’s scheduled for a 17-day dry dock in March 2019. That’s much longer than normal.

Hey Pam, where to you get your info? I'm just wondering as we are scheduled to be on Grand Princess on April 6, 2019, and from what I've read on CC, coming on after a dry dock can be a bit of a hassle.

Hey Pam, where to you get your info? I'm just wondering as we are scheduled to be on Grand Princess on April 6, 2019, and from what I've read on CC, coming on after a dry dock can be a bit of a hassle.
There’s a site that lists all of the dry docks, dates and what’s being done. https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

There shouldn’t be any problems before or after a routine dry dock as those are planned practically down to the minute. If there’s a longer dry dock with modifications being made to the ship, then there can be post drydock issues. Not very common, though, unless something new and different is being done.

There’s a site that lists all of the dry docks, dates and what’s being done. https://sites.google.com/site/princesscruisesfaq/ships/fleet-drydock-schedule

There shouldn’t be any problems before or after a routine dry dock as those are planned practically down to the minute. If there’s a longer dry dock with modifications being made to the ship, then there can be post drydock issues. Not very common, though, unless something new and different is being done.

Do you think they might be doing the medallion install?

We are going on the Hawaii 15 day sanfrancisco grand princess cruise on January 22 2018. We are looking for some good tours to do. We are looking for some interesting fun reasonable tours. Please help

We are sailing on the same cruise. Check the roll call for this sailing. Lots of input on tours.

• 1 month later...
Just wondering what type of "refurbishment" the OP believes Grand is in need of.

Because had they taken even the briefest look at either the Grand Princess page on the Princess website--or other recent threads on here--they would have found out that Grand is actually ahead of the fleet having received in December 2016:

• a brand new MUTS screen
  • Sabatini's completely remodeled into Sabatini's Trattoria
  • the new Cups and Cones replacing the old ice cream stand
  • the kids and teens clubs rebranded as Camp Discovery
  • all new or reconditioned tables and chairs in the Horizon Court
  • completion of adding Princess Luxury Bed to every stateroom
  • the usual rehab or replacement of carpet and soft furnishings in public areas

So if you are reading reviews that discuss the ship's condition be sure they are from 2017 and not before.

And remember that most of the grousing is simply from people who booked a ship launched in 1998 but were expecting "new ship smell" and all the other megaship bells and whistles. They have only themselves to blame for having unrealistic expectations due to their failure to ask before booking.

Interesting. I have sailed on Princess 23 times and 5 on the Grand - first was in 1999 - last 2 were Sept 2017 and December 2017. Both times the ship had both small and bigger problems. You say that if we have an issue its our fault for not understanding that the ship is almost 20 years old and in need of constant repair? Both times this past 2 cruises we attended the Captains circle party and were told that on each cruise we had between 1200 & 1300 FIRST time Princess cruisers. I wonder just how many totally realized that this ship was that old? I am guessing not - they were/are hard working people who save for that first cruise and have both seen commercials and read the brochures. I am an avid supporter of Princess and have 5 more cruises already booked and will continue to cruise.

You only have One chance to make a first impression. On both cruises the main concern I Kept hearing was 'Plumbing and A/C. // Water buckets in the hall were common. AC not so much on the Dec cruise but still an issue for those with 'inside' cabins. I know ships can have issues and I normally just 'Roll' with it. And the Crew was 'as Always' Very good and tried Very hard - Beds were Great.

I am an avid supporter of Princess and have 5 more cruises already booked and will continue to cruise.

There is the issue -- you are a supporter and not a cheerleader.

When one is a cheerleader ... when your cabin throne doesn't flush,

you quickly realize that it's not the fault of the cruiseline for

not maintaining the plumbing, but rather your own fault

for needing it.

P.S. I don't think it's time for Grand to be scrapped, it has to go to Australia first.

Requirement of (Princess) maritime law.

There is the issue -- you are a supporter and not a cheerleader.

When one is a cheerleader ... when your cabin throne doesn't flush,

you quickly realize that it's not the fault of the cruiseline for

not maintaining the plumbing, but rather your own fault

for needing it.

P.S. I don't think it's time for Grand to be scrapped, it has to go to Australia first.

Requirement of (Princess) maritime law.

[emoji4]

I would type more but I need to go to the bathroom. I know it’s my fault [emoji79]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums