Internet hotspots

dogdoc2002

Hello-

We will be traveling on the POAm next July. I know there is internet available on the POAm, but the prices seem steep, and I've been reading in a few places on these boards that the connection can be slow. Is there places (coffee shops, libraries, etc) that internet hotspots available for customer use? We'd love to send pictures and updates back to our families while away, but don't want to go broke doing so :D

Thanks!

Thanks for the help. The price on the ship seems high. I'm used to life in the boring midwest, where hotels have free high-speed internet, and there are several restaurants/coffee shops (Starbucks, Panera Bread, etc) with free access as well. We're staying in Honolulu for a week for a conference next summer, and I was supprised that there was a fee for the internet there as well. Oh well... I guess I've gotten spoiled in the past getting it for free :)

• 1 month later...

Eureka! We found free internet in Hawaii, if anyone is interested. We'll have to wait until July to see how well they work. For anyone interested- go to http://www.wififreespot.com/ha.html

There's listings for several islands, including all the one's the NCL ships stop at.

Happiness is free internet :) :) :)

• 1 month later...

I doubt there are many free spots anywhere there. I was just looking at the Royal Hawaiian. I want to stay at the Pink Palace ( Gee I wonder why), they charge 400+ for a garden view, 100.00 per child rollout cot ( I have 2 kids) and internet for a fee. OUCH

Ya think for 600.00+ a night they'd throw in free internet. :eek:

http://www.librarieshawaii.org/information/rules/guidelines.htm

went here to see if anyone can just walk in and use a computer. unlike my home area where you can just waltz in and use the computers,you have to have a hawaii public library card for access.

But you CAN get a "visitors" library card!

:rolleyes: Be careful of lists of free wifi webspots. I found out the hard way that the place does not always pan out- I got stuck in Southern Cal on a wild goose chase because of the free wifi website listed above. You can pick up a free 24 hour internet CD from Starbucks for T-moblie and use is consecutively for the following 24 hours (it won't last for the entire vacation). All airports offer wifi for a fee usually 6-8 dollars an hour. You can also purchase T-mobile internet time from any Starbucks that offers wifi, I believe it's 5-6 dollars an hour...relatively cheap compared to the astronomical cruise prices. Many shopping malls offer free wifi and you may also be able to pick up a signal near a hotel with free internet. Your best bet is to pick a couple of cities and search for either a coffee house or mall and check to see if they offer free internet.

On my cruise last year, the ship's internet was EXTREMELY slow-plan on 10 min just to do a quick e-mail check and reply! I paid 35 cents a minute on Princess and I believe NCL is around 80 cents a minute. Just to check e-mail, we spent more money than I pay monthly for my DSL. If you want to upload pics or spend a lot of time on the internet look into a package internet deal from NCL or do your research on major places in the area.

Don't get exasperated trying to find an internet connection....I've run into countless times just trying to connect to a signal to no avail. I always do a few e-mails then upload pics when I return.

wouldn't it make sense that some at least 1 hotel on the beaches of hawaii that offers free internet. It's a very competitive market nowadays

Free internet access is offered to business travelers who stay in mid-price hotels like Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn. The competition in those places is for expense account travelers, people who feel they will benefit by being able to work in their room. These hotels don't have that many amenities, and the ability to while away the hours surfing the internet has a certain appeal to business travelers.

There aren't too many business people staying in Hawaiian resort hotels, and the feeling is that if these people want internet access that badly, they should be prepared to pay for it.

This is not a Hawaiian thing. For example, expensive resort hotels in Las Vegas also charge for internet access.

The most insidious thing is the recent "resort fee". This is a rip-off that is supposed to pay for 'extras' such as the in-room coffeemaker, tips for the housekeeper, etc.

Hotel room telephones used to be a major profit center, especially considering what a long-distance call could cost. Now that's all history as a result of people using their cellphones for all calling. The hotels feel they have to make up this lost revenue in other ways.

But you CAN get a "visitors" library card!

donah, really? do i just show them my local library card? i know it sounds wierd going to hawaii to hang out in a library but it would be nice to check the e-mail at least once while im there.

For more information about library cards:

http://www.librarieshawaii.org/services/libcard.htm

Also public libraries aren't necessarily the easiest locations for visitors to find. The hassles in terms of finding and getting to the library may be worth less than just paying for Internet access somewhere.

Spleen

Archived