NEW CRUISER! Question about AFT cabins.

KPRH921

Hello All!

I am new to cruising and am VERY excited to go on my first cruise in Sept on the Norweigan Spirit.

Currently, my agent is holding an AFT room for us that is the last room at the back of the ship. Has anyone had any issues with these rooms? Are they noisier than mid ship rooms? More motion?

Any input would be a great help!!

TIA!

If you are looking for less motion, you want a cabin lower deck and mid-ship.

As for noise, you need to check what is above and sometimes below you. For instance, I would not want a cabin below the buffet or sun-deck where chairs would be scraping early in the morning. (I like to sleep late;) )

Some Aft cabins are below the outdoor deck where late night parties with somewhat loud music are held.

We have not had a cabin at the very aft of the ship, but have been in an interior cabin very close to the back of the ship. I have read reports that sometimes the balconies get a bit of soot on them from the smokestacks. Near the back of the ship, you also tend to feel a lot more vibration from the propellers of the ship, more on some ships than others. There is also a longer walk to the staircases and elevators on many ships too from the aft (not sure about on the Spirit). That said, most people who have had aft cabins swear by them and book them over and over.

By the way we sailed the Spirit about 10 years ago and loved the ship. Not the biggest and newest in the fleet, but it had a different feel to it than a lot of the other ships we sailed.

Edited by Russ Lomas
add a comment

Let's make sure you are talking true aft. True aft cabins are located on the very back of the ship, facing the wake. On the Spirit, the only deck with truly aft cabins is deck 9 and these are all suites. "Last room at the back of the ship" leads me to believe you might be talking about the last cabin at the end of the hall going to the aft. If that is the case, you would actually be on either starboard or port side. Doesn't necessarily change the advice though. Just make sure you're aware of what is above and below you. You say 'nothing' is above you and I'm not sure that is correct. Literally every deck on the Spirit has something above it. I truly am not trying to discount your post rather make sure all giving advice know exactly how the Spirit is laid out.

Thanks! This particular cabin happens to be 2x the size of a regular balcony cabin with a very large balcony as well - so weighing the pros and cons I think I like having the larger room for the price of a regular balcony!

We booked it! I'll just bring some motion sickness pills just in case! LOL

Let's make sure you are talking true aft. True aft cabins are located on the very back of the ship, facing the wake. On the Spirit, the only deck with truly aft cabins is deck 9 and these are all suites. "Last room at the back of the ship" leads me to believe you might be talking about the last cabin at the end of the hall going to the aft. If that is the case, you would actually be on either starboard or port side. Doesn't necessarily change the advice though. Just make sure you're aware of what is above and below you. You say 'nothing' is above you and I'm not sure that is correct. Literally every deck on the Spirit has something above it. I truly am not trying to discount your post rather make sure all giving advice know exactly how the Spirit is laid out.

Yes, the cabin is the last cabin at the end of the hallway, however it is at the very back of the ship right near the Kids Pool (which doesn't bother us as we don't expect many kids on this particular cruise and don't plan on being in our room during the day a lot). The deck below us are cabins and right above us are table tennis games - which I don't see making a tremendous amount of noise especially at night.

Yes, the cabin is the last cabin at the end of the hallway, however it is at the very back of the ship right near the Kids Pool (which doesn't bother us as we don't expect many kids on this particular cruise and don't plan on being in our room during the day a lot). The deck below us are cabins and right above us are table tennis games - which I don't see making a tremendous amount of noise especially at night.

Our one time on the Spirit, we actually spent 90% of our time at the kids pool area. Granted we had kids with us, but the main pool and hot tubs were so full of college students mid-March, we could not even get near them. Like I said before, we loved the Spirit, have a great cruise.