Ok to leave our chair for 30 to 45 minutes lunch or go for a walk?

Produce123

What about those of us who just want to use the pool for an hour in the afternoon? There are rarely any seats to be found. I don't want to sit at the pool the whole day, I just want to use it for a bit, dry off in the sun and then go do something else. So it's annoying to come by the pool in the afternoon to see loads of empty chairs occupied by towels, a flip flop, etc and no people.

I'm sorry but if you leave your chair and don't come back within a reasonable amount of time, say 20 minutes, I won't hesitate to move your stuff off to the side and use the chair myself.

Disclaimer, I don't move personal items, only unused towels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only problem is that it's not your ship so your opinions don't apply. Carnival says 40 minutes. When you own a ship you can set the timer to 20 minutes.

If the line is long then return to your chair and try the line again in 30 minutes or so. I agree that leaving your chair for a dip or bathroom break (10 mins or so) is fine, longer that and you are a chair hog. :D

You couldn't be more wrong. Why do so many people think they can use their beliefs instead of following Carnival's printed rules.

Where have you heard 40 minutes?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's in every copy of the Funtimes and posted on the wall around the pool area in several locations. I've also seen it scroll on the big screen as well. Used to be 30 minutes but that changed several years ago to 40 minutes.

It’s unfortunate that this discussion even has to take place. Inconsiderate people will always put their pleasure before what is fair. With about 4000 people on board, why shouldn’t they monopolize a lounge chair even when they’re in the buffet or wandering around the ship? It’s amazing and sad to see how many people rush to the pool deck at the break of dawn and spread towels on chairs that will remained unused for several hours to come. This is one of the many reasons I prefer a balcony cabin or mini-suite to booking a “walk-in closet class” cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 9 months later...

If I see a couple chairs that have been hogged by someone just putting a towel on the chair and the folks around the chairs tell me nobody has been in them for at least an Hour I always every time take the towels to the attendant and let them know I have liberated the chair.

I have done this numerous times and have never once had any kind of confrontation.

Nobody has a right to hog chairs and if we let people do this the practice will continue

I don't do this if they have left personal belongings on the chairs

• 2 weeks later...

Wife and I decide if we’re going to hang out on lido, preferably the aft pool, which may or may not be adults only still, to get out there early. She has her beach bag and I my backpack. Unless we’re both in the pool, only one of us will leave are chairs to get food or drink. There’s been many times I’ve heard people complaining only minutes after we left our chairs to take a dip.

I think this chair problem will only get worse in the future as ships only get bigger but the chairs per passenger ratio and size sq /ft of lido deck only gets smaller or stays the same as a 90k ton ship with double or triple the passenger counts!

• 2 weeks later...
The only thing that happened to us when we left our chairs is some idiot stole my hubbys flip flops on the Caribbean princess [emoji849]

Lucky it was flip flops. I stupidly brought expensive sunglasses and someone stole them from my chair. I was also on the Caribbean princess. Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

There is a salad bar in serenity on the Vista - I think it was sea days only when I was On her in July.

I personally would a!low others to enjoy the chair of i left to eat or anything longer than like 10 minues. I just find a new one when I'm ready to come back. Often a fund a new location or activity in the way back k from lunch anywsy!

On the Vista I was in a Havana cabin didn't have any trouble. Worth every penny in thevsummer. But before this new area I did as I said above.

Leave things behind and they will sometimes disappear

First thing you have to understand is that it’s not your chair; it belongs to the cruise line. If you’re crazy enough to leave personal items while you drift away for lunch or some other side trip, you shouldn’t be surprised when they disappear. Take your items with you and get another chair when you return. There are sometimes over 4000 passengers on board and maybe 200 lounge chairs by the pool. We need to learn to be fair and share.

hi there. My girlfriend and I are curteous people and would like to know more about chair saving etiquette in the serenity area on Vista. Can we leave our stuff on our chair if we go for lunch for 30-45 minutes? Or go for a walk for half an hour? And if we arrive around 730 to tan for the day is the section empty or already lots of towels put down on chairs? Thanks.

no.

First thing you have to understand is that it’s not your chair; it belongs to the cruise line. If you’re crazy enough to leave personal items while you drift away for lunch or some other side trip, you shouldn’t be surprised when they disappear. Take your items with you and get another chair when you return. There are sometimes over 4000 passengers on board and maybe 200 lounge chairs by the pool. We need to learn to be fair and share.

To be clear, I would more likely be making things disappear than leaving my things to disappear.

but at the same point, DH & I have had 2 chairs before that we were siting in. & one of us would get up to get a drink or use restroom or grab pizza from buffet, get more sunscreen from cabin. and we were there from like 9am to 3pm. and at all times one of us was there. and if you add up all of the minutes that one of us was not there probably totaled 1 hour combined.

and people would complain that we were hogging the chairs. even though our butts were physically in the chair.

do i think people "hog" chairs by leaving towels on it for hours. yes. do i think physically being in the chair is hogging it. no. but there are people who think that is hogging!

Carnival states 40 minutes. If you leave your chair and are back within the 40 minute time frame, you are fine. People do get up to go to the bathroom, take a swim, get a drink, or a quick bite to eat. anyone who leaves items on a chair for hours are asking to have their stuff disappear!!

Pat

K

but at the same point, DH & I have had 2 chairs before that we were siting in. & one of us would get up to get a drink or use restroom or grab pizza from buffet, get more sunscreen from cabin. and we were there from like 9am to 3pm. and at all times one of us was there. and if you add up all of the minutes that one of us was not there probably totaled 1 hour combined.

and people would complain that we were hogging the chairs. even though our butts were physically in the chair.

do i think people "hog" chairs by leaving towels on it for hours. yes. do i think physically being in the chair is hogging it. no. but there are people who think that is hogging!

If you are monopolizing a couple of lounge chairs in the pool area for six hours on a sea day, whether you’re sitting in them or leaving possessions or towels, you are a chair hog. There are a limited number of chairs in prime locations like the pool area and every passenger has a right of expectation that they can sit by the pool for a reasonable period of time on pool days.

Carnival states 40 minutes. If you leave your chair and are back within the 40 minute time frame, you are fine. People do get up to go to the bathroom, take a swim, get a drink, or a quick bite to eat. anyone who leaves items on a chair for hours are asking to have their stuff disappear!!

Pat

Another reason to avoid Carnival Cruise Lines; not that I need another reason.

I've seen this same chair hog behavior on Royal and especially Princess. When you find a line where people don't do this, let me know. We also only get a balcony, but the band doesn't play there so we go to the pool area. It seems this behavior also happens on Norwegian, the line you sail.

You’re right. It’s just as bad on NCL as any other line. On NCL Escape out of NYC to Bermuda in July, it was ridiculous. People were staking claims to lounge chairs before the sun came up each morning. You could hardly walk through the pool area as large groups staked out their territory; it was like someone dropped a pool in the middle of the south Bronx or Brooklyn. There was actually a brawl by the pool between two groups of teenagers on the 2nd night. The peace and quiet of the balcony was a nice escape. I’ll never cruise out of NY ever again when school is out. I blame the overcrowding and resulting problems on NCL.

I don't understand how anyone thinks it's ok to claim chairs for the entire day when hundreds of others might like a turn too.

As long as someone is using the chair the entire day, they shouldn't have to give it to someone else so that they can have a turn at it. I am not for people getting up at the crack of dawn and placing an item on the chair, leaving and going back to bed for a few hours...that is just wrong. My travel companion and I are early risers and we get to the deck early and get chairs where we want to spend the day. We might take turns getting food for lunch but a lot of the time we even eat lunch in our deck chairs. I would be shocked if anyone came to us and asked us to vacate so that someone else can take a turn at sitting there...who would even think that is an ok thing to suggest?