Flam Train and Hike

ChinaShrek

I showed them some videos of the bike path I found online, most of it seems fine. They seem more concerned about the parts where the path has no railing along the edge but instead rocks that are spaced out, and the other side of the rocks it looks like a long way down ;). The rocks seem pretty big that they would act as a decent guardrail but could anyone who has done it give any insight?

I showed them some videos of the bike path I found online, most of it seems fine. They seem more concerned about the parts where the path has no railing along the edge but instead rocks that are spaced out, and the other side of the rocks it looks like a long way down ;). The rocks seem pretty big that they would act as a decent guardrail but could anyone who has done it give any insight?

Honestly, as long as you walk your bike down in the beginning if you don't feel comfortable, the rest of the way will be a breeze. The only other time I was slightly uncomfortable (and I'm afraid of heights) was in the tunnel and that was because it was dark and you couldn't see the trail. You could see the end though so you just pedal along aiming for that!;p;p

Hello, this sounds like a great option. Can someone provide the link to book a ticket for the train and also how to reserve the bike from the cafe? Thank you!

Here is the link for the bike rental http://caferallaren.no/en/

and I booked our tickets for the train here: https://www.nsb.no/en/frontpage

When I just checked that site, it states that the Flam-Myrdal line is closed for maintainence, hope that changes before late June!

Good luck! We are so excited for this day. We will be there on June 29 and hoping for great Norweigan weather!

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

I am signed up for our included ship's excursion for this May. On HAL you only take the train to the Vatnahalsen Hotel and walk down about 6 miles. I'm much more of a hiker than a biker but I'm wondering if this would still be a worthwhile (pretty scenery) hike, without doing the full length from Myrdal station.

Thanks for any input or photos if you have them!

11 minutes ago, hallasm said:

May might be too early for biking, still snow and ice. Season is from mid July to mid September, depending on temperature and snow.

I would be hiking if that makes a difference. Hiking in snow and ice is pretty much standard here in Wisconsin for 4 or 5 months of the year.

BL5EjkIYu2x57bHUH_mL4TiAlz3sK6B4CXlCAiqiaN3WEKkyWgRu6t4BehMVDszVQHF25ymtNCiSfJGD3wERadMEIXduhvDQhy91NGLHjf4GR18gIv9mrnuQ0Jc7z6-cGjQpASQiw6R4u-REO-TRn9Ek4gtxpVPjiqMn0o9HnN22LgtrV0-JD0UMx5Lj7p9qebAvbumSI4bUTTyquN3pZeQaOKd-gYCzA-7PX8HCioE4WVWLxJiqVbjuxehL6sSt46k-549ex_b8kxkDufGURLS1DGLcYVbWHhxqifAGOLraMPcSgDCD55LwoW8gm8nNhdZpd5KcOUQL-FQ0PXLflsaZrc06B73x1q066Xzr5Sm_ALH4l0tvkd_UIVuio49Eq85y9qiFLHhPyd_7ndjLst1ycVVWP463BFVwP1P8A_KMvlRVwSy_pfY9NQO26VyXkDiJBvlwj7fILOq3kOANpE5q7llP0TnCBJ21CyMGcF-JHGhB7SfnOwHqwAOOFOYWeTzedh1cwmxdjI3-DhEzB4yE3Rz5oZ-oY2umNVb5VDxP8uO6AbsBD4aO7PTxsKjAO0eHriZpKkfOA0o9fpM_z6EihOTL8POMvgOakShPu-fDkBzTFzExKE7YGZHgRjsMTgqRMq9xhJ8yKyOcuzeOjjQeCD7M5G_v06dizjrRDSJcUmaHWWpGbQkca1r-5HZcW-9v6En0U-7gKILxgIqdovcQ=w772-h579-no?authuser=0

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I would be hiking if that makes a difference

it is certainly possible to hike - cycling down the very steep mountain roads is dangerous if icy - roads can also be impassable due to a lot of snow in the mountains.

22 minutes ago, hallasm said:

it is certainly possible to hike - cycling down the very steep mountain roads is dangerous if icy - roads can also be impassable due to a lot of snow in the mountains.

Thanks so much, that's encouraging.