If you have ACTUALLY STAYED at a hotel in SJ SINCE Oct 1...please list here

skiiergirl

So sorry you had to cut your vacation short - that really sucks.

We were lucky and managed to figure out our return flight to Toronto after Air Canada pulled their planes out of SJU.

I just received confirmation from our hotel for next Friday night, and they have full power connected to the SJ power authority and not a generator, so there are hotels with AC and we won't be walking pin cushions.

I hope you enjoyed as much of your cruise as you could?

Our vacation was great- unique but fun. We've loved our time in Barbados - we extended the cruise with a couple days in a great hotel here. Air Canada finally called my wife's office (travel agency) several days after we had embarked (and probably a week and a half after we forced them to confirm they were cancelling the flights) Their "we will get you home strategy was to fly people from SJU to Antigua, then fly them home a couple days later. The people we met who were taking that option said the extra hotel costs were not being picked up by AC.....they would be out of pocket.

We are currently staying at the Numero 1 Guesthouse. It's a small property located right on the beach. While not elaborate, more than adequate. Staff are friendly and room is clean and AC cool!. Had absolutely no problems flying from Omaha to San Juan (through Atlanta) yesterday. Airport in San Juan was seemingly operating normally with very little noticeable impact from the hurricanes. Taxi was readily available and very friendly, and it was a quick drive to our hotel. Only noticeable issues were few or no traffic signals. Took another cab to Old San Juan to walk around and eat. Had an AMAZING meal at the Chocobar. Would highly recommend! Only bummer was that it was getting dark when we were done and with no street lights, etc. it didn't feel safe to walk around more. Caught an Uber for a ride back to the hotel and a relaxing night cap on the beach. Off to the Adventure of the Seas in just a few hours.

At least you were able to get xtend your holiday in beautiful Barbados. I am Canadian too and have a cruise out of San Juan late January 2018. Have 3 hotels booked not on list of 14 so we’ll hopefully have a place to stay. Did you take travel insurance for your vacation? Some credit cards include trip cancellation. If you have trip cancellation you should be able to claim extra hotel stays meals and any additional airfare although Air Canada if they cancelled your flight we’re obliged to reschedule you a flight home and if not reimburse your airfare originally paid. Fingers crossed our flights hold up - already had them cancelled once and rebooked with a different route. Been following this thread for a hotel that is actually open and honouring reservations. Hoping for more good news stories of what is open.

So sorry you had to cut your vacation short - that really sucks.

We were lucky and managed to figure out our return flight to Toronto after Air Canada pulled their planes out of SJU.

I just received confirmation from our hotel for next Friday night, and they have full power connected to the SJ power authority and not a generator, so there are hotels with AC and we won't be walking pin cushions.

I hope you enjoyed as much of your cruise as you could?

Which hotel were you able to book?

At least you were able to get xtend your holiday in beautiful Barbados. I am Canadian too and have a cruise out of San Juan late January 2018. Have 3 hotels booked not on list of 14 so we’ll hopefully have a place to stay. Did you take travel insurance for your vacation? Some credit cards include trip cancellation. If you have trip cancellation you should be able to claim extra hotel stays meals and any additional airfare although Air Canada if they cancelled your flight we’re obliged to reschedule you a flight home and if not reimburse your airfare originally paid. Fingers crossed our flights hold up - already had them cancelled once and rebooked with a different route. Been following this thread for a hotel that is actually open and honouring reservations. Hoping for more good news stories of what is open.

What flight did they reroute? We are on dt to San Juan Hah 13th returning Jan 28th. We were originally booked with Westjet

Ontario Cruiser

What flight did they reroute? We are on dt to San Juan Hah 13th returning Jan 28th. We were originally booked with Westjet

Ontario Cruiser

At the time Air Canada and Westjet were pricey so I found great prices on Delta. Originally booked Toronto through JFK to SJU and returning day after cruise. Now i am flying through Atlanta both times and having to overnight in Atlanta both outbound and return flights. Hoping those flights hold.

Edited by Runcrazy
Spellcheck

Reservation made via Booking.com just cancelled for December 2nd (one night) at the San Juan Airport Hotel. I was offered an alternate option at the Borinquen Beach Inn, 5451 Isla Verde Avenue, 00979 San Juan, Puerto Rico for $223 per night. This was a back-up hotel reservation. I was notified via e-mail and received a phone call too.

Hopefully you have a back up plan! They cancelled our Jan 6-8 reservations-just fyi

Oh my! I think I'll start making plans B, C, and D. Worst case scenario we also have air tickets for embarkation day that would have us arrive at about 3pm because I didn't know about arriving a day ahead and by the time I figured it out it was too late to cancel or change so we just bought an extra set of tickets.

This was posted on Facebook Page "Puerto Rico Maria Updates" - "San Juan Lights Up".. Friday Night 11-3-2017. With a picture of the city lights on..

I would think if this is true many more hotel choices will become available. I have 5 hotels booked and an AirBNB for mid Jan - Disney Wonder..

We are sailing out of SJ on the RC Jewel on December 10th. We've had two hotels cancel - The Sheraton Old San Juan, and, just a few days ago, the Holiday Inn Express Condado. We presently have reservations at 4 hotels. Two of them are on the FEMA contract list. Fingers crossed. Our flight down there is actually on Friday the 8th. We'd planned on going on a tour on Saturday. Probably just be a beach day now. Flying down the day of the cruise just makes me nervous - but two nights in the airport would be awful, too!

Thanks for the posts, everybody!

Hopefully you have a back up plan! They cancelled our Jan 6-8 reservations-just fyi

After reading all the posts here and a SJ hotel thread, we decided to once again confirm our reservations at the Marriott Courtyard Miramar. Called the hotel in San Juan directly, after my request for confirmation, I was put on hold, which eventually transferred me to a call center back in the continental U.S. That rep, put me on hold to call the hotel directly, then tapped me into the conversation so I could hear what the person at Miramar was saying. Basically, they aren't at capacity for Nov. 23 and 24, but they are on a generator and he said anything can happen. VERY limited shops and restaurants open near there. He said it is pitch black at night, as there are no street lights working. He basically told the Marriott rep that he strongly recommends that the person (me) change their flight to come in the day of the cruise. That was enough for me, he's turning away business because of the current conditions, so I cancelled the hotel reservations and moved our flight to Nov. 25 for sailing on Adventure of the Seas. So, I saved ~ $300 from not staying in a hotel for 2 nights, and then used the money to upgrade from my balcony cabin to a junior suite. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-cool-1690clear.png?emoji-hearteyes-1689

I finally got a hold of someone st the Acacia Boutique hotel in SJ. She was very nice and said they were running on generator but hope to not be by the end of January. But for now, cold showers are in order. She did say they were not canceling any reservations at this time even though they are on the FEMA list. Once you’re booked, you’re good to go. She seemed confident of that. They’re about 15 minutes from the port and old San Juan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I posted a positive review from our two night stay in San Juan October 28-30 on TripAdvisor about the Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites and received a reply back from the manager....

Henry N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites, responded..

We are glad that we were able to accommodate your stay. As you mention, our property is fully operational. All of our amenities and both our restaurants, Ropa Vieja and Nestle Toll House Cafe, are open. We look forward to accommodating other travelers that have been displaced. For our availability you can contact me directly at Hneumann@condadopalm.com or 787-648-8834.

Siempre a la orden,

Henry Neumann

General Manager

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147320-d242220-r537935648-Best_Western_Plus_Condado_Palm_Inn_Suites-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html#

I posted a positive review from our two night stay in San Juan October 28-30 on TripAdvisor about the Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites and received a reply back from the manager....

Henry N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Condado Palm Inn & Suites, responded..

We are glad that we were able to accommodate your stay. As you mention, our property is fully operational. All of our amenities and both our restaurants, Ropa Vieja and Nestle Toll House Cafe, are open. We look forward to accommodating other travelers that have been displaced. For our availability you can contact me directly at Hneumann@condadopalm.com or 787-648-8834.

Siempre a la orden,

Henry Neumann

General Manager

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147320-d242220-r537935648-Best_Western_Plus_Condado_Palm_Inn_Suites-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html#

Great information!

I finally got a hold of someone st the Acacia Boutique hotel in SJ. She was very nice and said they were running on generator but hope to not be by the end of January. But for now, cold showers are in order. She did say they were not canceling any reservations at this time even though they are on the FEMA list. Once you’re booked, you’re good to go. She seemed confident of that. They’re about 15 minutes from the port and old San Juan.

That's a relief! We are staying there Nov 23rd, 24th. A cold shower will suck but it looks like such a beautiful place i'm remaining positive :).

That's a relief! We are staying there Nov 23rd, 24th. A cold shower will suck but it looks like such a beautiful place i'm remaining positive :).

But if you’re only there one night just shower in the morning at home and then the next day when you get in your room on the ship.

Thank you FirsttimecruiserMac - we contacted Henry directly using the contact info in your review. He was VERY responsive got back to me quick with a price and called me directly to book. Although their site shows no rooms available be sure to contact him directly as we got a room for 11/26 after our cruise on the NCL Dawn. Rate is $199 + tax and he told me hotel does have power, restaurants are open and supermarkets now getting stocked and back to normal. Thanks again for the info!

But if you’re only there one night just shower in the morning at home and then the next day when you get in your room on the ship.

That's the plan unless we're super sweaty from our excursion we have the day before the cruise, but even then we will still probably just go for a swim and wait to shower when we get on the ship :)

That's the plan unless we're super sweaty from our excursion we have the day before the cruise, but even then we will still probably just go for a swim and wait to shower when we get on the ship :)

There ya go! Swimming is a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

Just booked Best Western for Jan 28th as Air canada cancelled all flight this winter Going AA

Ontario Cruiser

Was your flight cancelled for January 28? AC is telling me that my Feb 25 and March 11 flights are still active, but I am suspicious as they are no longer available online. They told my TA that they only cancelled flights to Dec 15.