Returning Rental Car at Civitavecchia Port Pre-Embarking

caroak

I booked a Hertz rental car to be returned at Civitavecchia Port prior to embarking for our cruise. The Hertz office is located at Via della Repubblica, 10A, which is in the Port area, and what I thought is the closest one to the piers and/or shuttle buses but on further research I'm not sure if it is since there have been recent entrance changes at the Port. Problem will be getting from a rental car office to our ship's dock but at this time I don't have our dock number. From what I've read only taxis or transfer services can drop off close to the ships but since they're too close to the rental office taxis won't take you. Even if they did the rental car agents won't call one for you. I know there are buses but not sure where they're located or which one would get us to our ship. One thing for sure is we don't want to be faced with a long walk hauling our luggage through the Port. Has anyone experienced dropping off a car at the Port pre-cruise and which rental car agency would be the closest to a pier shuttle bus?

Carole

Edited by caroak

I booked a Hertz rental car to be returned at Civitavecchia Port prior to embarking for our cruise. The Hertz office is located at Via della Repubblica, 10A, which is in the Port area, and what I thought is the closest one to the piers and/or shuttle buses but on further research I'm not sure if it is since there have been recent entrance changes at the Port. Problem will be getting from a rental car office to our ship's dock but at this time I don't have our dock number. From what I've read only taxis or transfer services can drop off close to the ships but since they're too close to the rental office taxis won't take you. Even if they did the rental car agents won't call one for you. I know there are buses but not sure where they're located or which one would get us to our ship. One thing for sure is we don't want to be faced with a long walk hauling our luggage through the Port. Has anyone experienced dropping off a car at the Port pre-cruise and which rental car agency would be the closest to a pier shuttle bus?

Carole

UPDATE TO POST:

After I posted I did some more research and found out there were some changes at the port a few years ago. There's a new entrance and it's no longer near the Fort so Hertz would be too far. The Information Point and shuttle buses to the docks are now located at Large della Pace. According to Google Maps Europcar is a three minute walk so I cancelled Hertz and booked with Europcar. There is also an Avis location that's the same walking distance.

Carole

UPDATE TO POST:

After I posted I did some more research and found out there were some changes at the port a few years ago. There's a new entrance and it's no longer near the Fort so Hertz would be too far. The Information Point and shuttle buses to the docks are now located at Large della Pace. According to Google Maps Europcar is a three minute walk so I cancelled Hertz and booked with Europecar. There is also an Avis location that's the same walking distance.

Carole

You did a great job with your research. We have both picked up and dropped cars at Civitavecchia (over many years) but have not done it since they moved the port entrance and established the new shuttle drop location. But its almost advantageous (when compared to the old days). I used to leave DW near the port entrance (and we had to walk from the old bus stop to the entrance dragging our luggage) and then go get the car and later return to pick her (and the luggage) up. We would just reverse the process if returning a car pre-cruise. But now, you can simply drop DW at the shuttle bus area (and there is place for her to sit) and then return your car....and walk back to the shuttle bus stop. You are right that the Hertz location is no longer the most convenient...although its certainly doable for those of us who like to take a long walk.

Hank

Europecar is definitely close. A shorter walk to the shuttle bus than the walk getting on the ship from the check-in point. We rented a car and found it very easy to get to. You can see the office from where the shuttle bus drops you off.

Europecar is definitely close. A shorter walk to the shuttle bus than the walk getting on the ship from the check-in point. We rented a car and found it very easy to get to. You can see the office from where the shuttle bus drops you off.

That's very reassuring.:) Thanks.

Carole

• 2 months later...

On Avis' site, I pull up several car rental locations in Civitavechhia. I think the closest one that I can tell by doing a google map is the one located at Via 16 Seteembre 46. Google maps has it a 3 minute walk from Large della Pace, the place where you all say the shuttle drops off from the port.

Is this correct?