Should I rent a car in Fort Lauderdale?

parkbr

Hi,

We have 5 people (4 adults and 1 toddler with her car seat) with about 5 luggage (3 medium size and 2 small or 2 medium and 3 small) with a stroller that fit in the trunk of 2009 Camry.

I am debating whether to rent a full-size car when we arrive in FLL. It's not very expensive (~$30 for 1 day rental) and will be returning it to the Port Everglade location the next day when we cruise.

We arrive around 4PM on Sat, will be leaving for cruise ship around 10AM the next day. So we will really need it to get around for dinner, maybe a walk by the fort lauderdale beach, and to go to the cruise ship (port everglade) the day after. We will be staying near Dania beach area that has free parking. Shuttle to the Port is $10 per person.

We are thinking on the day of the cruise, maybe my husband can drop us off first and go back, return the car, and hop on their shuttle and come back to us.

Is there a fee to access to the passenger drop off at Port Everglade? how about parking around the beaches?

I am seeking for your opinion: is it worth renting a car or is it too much hassle?

Thank you!

Hi,

We have 5 people (4 adults and 1 toddler with her car seat) with about 5 luggage (3 medium size and 2 small or 2 medium and 3 small) with a stroller that fit in the trunk of 2009 Camry.

I am debating whether to rent a full-size car when we arrive in FLL. It's not very expensive (~$30 for 1 day rental) and will be returning it to the Port Everglade location the next day when we cruise.

We arrive around 4PM on Sat, will be leaving for cruise ship around 10AM the next day. So we will really need it to get around for dinner, maybe a walk by the fort lauderdale beach, and to go to the cruise ship (port everglade) the day after. We will be staying near Dania beach area that has free parking. Shuttle to the Port is $10 per person.

We are thinking on the day of the cruise, maybe my husband can drop us off first and go back, return the car, and hop on their shuttle and come back to us.

Is there a fee to access to the passenger drop off at Port Everglade? how about parking around the beaches?

I am seeking for your opinion: is it worth renting a car or is it too much hassle?

Thank you!

Normally I would say it is too much of a hassle, but given the size of your group and the likely limited dining options near your hotel (I am guessing), I think I would get the car. Plus you save the $10 pp shuttle charge to pier. You might look into car rental places (check this board for ideas) that are close to the pier, as they may drop your husband off for free and it would be much closer.

... Is there a fee to access to the passenger drop off at Port Everglade? ...

No fee for passenger drop off. We've done this several times with a minivan rental and 6 people. We've used Avis at the Pier 66 hotel using their free shuttle to the cruise terminal.

We've opted (when necessary) to go with a mini-van from Budget (FLL location) that included a carseat....and dropped the car off at their off site location on 17th Street near our Hyatt Place hotel (favorite pre-cruise hotel for location to shops and restaurants and only $7.00 per night hotel parking).

If you're a member try pricing your car rental online with Costco...and if you want to consider using Hyatt Place in Fort Lauderdale:

http://www.valuetrips.com

Using both Costco and Valuetrips have given me great rates.