Set my mind at ease.

clasko

I am pretty much obsessed (my husband would laugh at the "pretty much" part) with going on a cruise for our 5th anniversary. The problem is that I promised him that I wouldn't book it until the middle of January, after I'm sure I have the jobs to cover it.

Well, our anniversary is March 10, and I want to go on the Grand Princes March 4-11 out of Galveston. Is it just silly to think I'll still be able to book it that late? Has anyone had experience booking cruises last minute? Do you think the price will be higher or lower or that I'll even be able to do it?

I hope you'll be able to put my mind at ease so I can stop obsessing about it (as much). Thanks.

Since cruises are really selling well lately, I don't think I would wait. March is right around the corner. A lot of this depends on IF you want a particular cabin or category cabin also.

Remember one thing. Up until final payment, if you book with certain TA's or Princess, you can get a refund. So I think I would go ahead and book it and then if for some reason you can't go before final payment, just cancel it.

Just check with the TA you book with to make sure they don't charge a fee for this.

This is a tough one because if you reserve it now, final payment will be due before you know your circumstances.

I would call your Travel Agent (if you have a regular one) or Princess directly and check on availability of your particular sailing. Since that is prime spring break time - it may be pretty full. Usually, they will tell youu how full the ship is.

It is not silly to think you can book late and if it was any other time then Spring Break - I would tell you to take the chance but since there are a lot of kids on vacation then, I do encourage you to talk with people who can check on availability.

I am pretty much obsessed (my husband would laugh at the "pretty much" part) with going on a cruise for our 5th anniversary. The problem is that I promised him that I wouldn't book it until the middle of January, after I'm sure I have the jobs to cover it.

Well, our anniversary is March 10, and I want to go on the Grand Princes March 4-11 out of Galveston. Is it just silly to think I'll still be able to book it that late? Has anyone had experience booking cruises last minute? Do you think the price will be higher or lower or that I'll even be able to do it?

I hope you'll be able to put my mind at ease so I can stop obsessing about it (as much). Thanks.

In addition to what's been said I'll add that it kinda depends on what you want when you DO book. On one hand if you're happy with an inside cabin and don't care where it is located you'll probably be fine waiting as far as availability goes.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a nice balcony in a specific location, the longer you wait the less chances of getting just what you want.

Final payment would be due later this month and as Coral mentioned that's before you really know. Have your travel professional check availability right now. If all categories but one are open that's pretty good for being so close to final payment time as far as your booking strategy is concerned.

I guess if you have to wait, you have to wait You won't be the only one booking mid-January for March though.

I booked Grand Princess for mid-January just a few weeks ago, about the time final payments were due. There was no problem getting any category of cabin, and prices were as low as I've seen them in a long time. In fact, this will be the least expensive 7-day cruise I've booked in a minisuite. It might be possible to get a very good deal in January if you aren't fussy about cabin selection.

In Texas the second and third weeks of March are prime spring break weeks. The Grand is a popular sailing because it departs on Saturday, meaning that you also return on Saturday. This gives passengers an extra day to recoup before returning to their regular schedule.

I would be nervous about waiting if going in March is very important. Even the inside cabins frequently sell out during popular family vacation periods.

They do have last minute booking but your schedule must be flexible. We booked 6 days before our Triumph cruise. I called Carnival and told them we would take anything out of Florida (we live there) that was a 7 day. $299 pp! Best bargain I've ever had:D

They do have last minute booking but your schedule must be flexible. We booked 6 days before our Triumph cruise. I called Carnival and told them we would take anything out of Florida (we live there) that was a 7 day. $299 pp! Best bargain I've ever had:D

WOW that's a good price! What time of year was that? Or was it such a good price because it was 6 days before?

Archived