Drink package question

hylasgirl

I was in the process of purchasing 2 Elite packages for a 14 day Asia sailing when I decided to call the Indulgences department with a few questions. So, it appears that this card is in our stateroom at boarding and we don't actually have access to our drink package until they let you into your staterooms.

My question... are there some drink package people out there that can give me some advice on this? I mean, at almost 2 grand for 2 of us to buy the package (which I think is ridiculous for a limit of 15 drinks) I really want to get onboard and go right to the pool bar and get a cocktail.

Thoughts? Is this worth the trouble and expense?

I was in the process of purchasing 2 Elite packages for a 14 day Asia sailing when I decided to call the Indulgences department with a few questions. So, it appears that this card is in our stateroom at boarding and we don't actually have access to our drink package until they let you into your staterooms.

My question... are there some drink package people out there that can give me some advice on this? I mean, at almost 2 grand for 2 of us to buy the package (which I think is ridiculous for a limit of 15 drinks) I really want to get onboard and go right to the pool bar and get a cocktail.

Thoughts? You may want to have a couple or so extra drinks before you board the ship, just in case there are any embarkation delays. Is this worth the trouble and expense? For me, it would not be worth either the trouble or the expense, but I would not presume to answer that question for you.

Smooth sailing :cocktail: :whiskey-glass: :tropical-drink:

The last time we had the bev package, there was no “card” involved. It was embedded in our shipboard account and would offset the drink charges. I think you will be fine. Explain what you are trying to do with the bartender and I’m sure you will be sipping away as soon as you get on board;p

Agree!

So, it appears that this card is in our stateroom at boarding and we don't actually have access to our drink package until they let you into your staterooms.

Barring major complications, HAL staterooms are usually open and available at boarding time. A quick detour to your room before hitting a bar should resolve your problem.

My suggestion is to keep track of your drink purchases on this cruise and before your next cruise compare the price of the package to what you actual drank. I've never found the package to be worth the price.

Very easy problem to fix :D and I think we all know the solution to that one :D

Edited by taxmantoo

Unless something unforeseen happens, cabins are usually ready at 11:30 AM.

The last time we had the Signature Beverage Package as part of the Explore 4 program, the package was loaded on our ID card.

I did keep track of what we drank and the cost of the drinks. Definitely not worth our buying the package.

You might consider buying beverage cards. They can be used for ANY beverage available onboard. When your card runs dry (pun intended) you just purchase another one from your favorite bartender, who will appreciate it. It's easier to track than individual receipts and the balance, if any, can be credited back to your account at debarkation. You also do not have to buy a card for each person in your room, like you do with the SBP or EBP. The cards are not tied to any one person, so don't leave the card lying around or someone could be very happy with their finding it.

Just a suggestion for you to look into. Buying two SBP on a 21 day is 2170.98, and if you don't use it, you lose it! Can buy a lot of 100 or 250 bev cards for that! You will have to get into your room at embarkation to get the cards, as they are not tied to your shipboard account.

Happy sailing

Edited by jbecker6469
change wording

The package is tied to your card. It will show on your account and is activated when you get your first drink. They are do not need the little confirmation card to activate it.

Trust me. I study these things.

For the last seven years (9 HAL cruises) our cabin has been available upon boarding. Once boarding start was delayed until about 11:50 because not all rooms were ready. But - if something very rare happens, you could always buy the first drink or two just using your key card.

And, I second jbecker's suggestion of just buying beverage cards as you need them rather than the SBP or EBP.

POA1... I just replied to another thread asking you few questions :). It was an old thread that you were very knowledgeable about.

Ok... I called 3 times today and each time the woman said that the drink card is NOT tied to my room card and that it is a separate card that they swipe in addition to your room card and I will not have access to the card until I can get into my room.

Let's just say I talk to a lot of reps across the board and I know that most reps haven't a clue on what things are actually like onboard so I am hoping what you all say are true and it's just part of my room card... which makes the most sense!

I didn't know I could just buy a lot of a certain number of beverages? Really?

And good to know the rooms are ready that quickly!

Thanks everyone!

Ok... so I see that you can buy $100 beverage cards (or $50 cards) These cards just have a dollar amount tied to them. So what would the benefit be? That wouldn't really save me anything. I guess if you were purchasing these as a gift but I don't see why I would buy one myself.

Ok... so I see that you can buy $100 beverage cards (or $50 cards) These cards just have a dollar amount tied to them. So what would the benefit be? That wouldn't really save me anything. I guess if you were purchasing these as a gift but I don't see why I would buy one myself.

Some like the beverage cards because it is easier to reconcile their account. Of course that isn't an issue when you have the beverage package. I know it sounds easy to save money with a beverage package. These packages are priced to make money for the cruise and not to save you money.

Be sure and keep a copy of your on board spending statement. Compare it to your drink package costs.

Some like the beverage cards because it is easier to reconcile their account. Of course that isn't an issue when you have the beverage package. I know it sounds easy to save money with a beverage package. These packages are priced to make money for the cruise and not to save you money.

Be sure and keep a copy of your on board spending statement. Compare it to your drink package costs.

Thank you. That's what I'm thinking too. If I can figure out the happy hour deals and bars, I think I'll be better off without the package.

The package is tied to your card. It will show on your account and is activated when you get your first drink. They are do not need the little confirmation card to activate it.

Trust me. I study these things.

I believe you 100% but another frequent poster with a birdlike name has warned us many times not to trust people like you so I will write to Orlando Ashford and see what he says. ;p

Unless something unforeseen happens, cabins are usually ready at 11:30 AM.

The last time we had the Signature Beverage Package as part of the Explore 4 program, the package was loaded on our ID card.

I did keep track of what we drank and the cost of the drinks. Definitely not worth our buying the package.

Hi KK! What is the Explore 4 Program? I have seen it mentioned, but not discussed.

Generally, we have found that 6 drinks a day is the break even point for the package. It depends on the drink, though.