Questions cruising with baby.

Terachica

We are going to have an 8 month old on our cruise in January.

We were wondering what we do about the car seat and stroller. When we go to excursions, where do we leave them? Do we have to lug it around? Any advice on what to bring or pack?

Also can someone tell me there experience with the guppies program on the Escape?

Thanks!

I have cruised with a one year old. We left the car seat at home because we lived close to the port. I brought a baby carrier and that was the best thing. When we went on excursions they were booked private and we were able to customize the tours. The tours were mostly driving around the island, and beach stop then visiting something local. The ergo baby or toddler Tula was great because they would fall asleep while the tour was going on. For stroller I would recommend an umbrella that is easy to open and close and doesn't take up much room.

I would get a mini suite for the tub.

From another site ...

Norwegian Cruise LineMinimum age: 6 months.

Babysitting: Private babysitting is not available, and children must be at least 3 to qualify for group sitting.

Cribs: Available on certain ships; however, they only fit in some cabins.

Diapers/wipes: Can be purchased in the onboard shop.

Formula: Not provided.

Strollers: Not provided.

High chairs: Available upon request.

I believe 8 months is too young also. I'm cruising this December and I'm leaving my 18 month old at home I will be taking my older ones because they are more self sufficent. If you are able I would say leave the baby and maybe try when its a but older. Also if u do take baby invest in one of these https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=90221976

Sent from my VS501 using Forums mobile app

Edited by ssalaam85

I'd suggest waiting until your child is older to cruise, or making childcare arrangements while you're away. A cruise ship might not be the best environment for an 8-month old infant.

We took our 9 month old on the Norwegian Gem and she had a blast. Op, Consider bringing a folding umbrella stroller that is easy to stow. I don't konw where you're crusing to but you might want to avoid excursions and just do things on your own, excursions with set times can be hard with a baby. We did a Canada/New England cruise with ours and just spent the days walking around the ports with our daughter.

The minimum age is 6 months. 8 months is barely over the minimum age and is still pretty young (too young) for the uncontrolled environment on a cruise ship. Everything you don’t give a second thought to at home like formula and bathing is problematic on a ship.

I think 8 months is OK, and to be honest, I would take an 8 month old (that is not overly mobile) over a toddler or young preschooler ANY DAY (and if I am honest may be over my 10 year old too). At that point they are still pretty portable and don't have much of an opinion. The carseat isn't going to be much of an option. It has been our cab experience in many ports that seat belts are not a given. There are risks, but most of the time every thing is fine. I agree with doing things that you control. Pack a few extra of the essentials and have a good first family vacation.

My son took his first cruise at 10 months old, he's now eight and platinum. Yes you have to bring all of your supplies with you, but it is nice to have someone cook and clean for you. Also the crew loves babies. Just know it will be different. On our cruise we went to Bermuda and being New Yorkers we were used to taking him on a bus with no car seat so we used an ergo. Depending what islands I would look into transportation options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely take your baby with you if you wish.

Yes, your cruise experience will be different than those traveling without a baby, but if you are willing to make the changes that are necessary for the baby's schedule, you will have a relaxing vacation with your child.

There is a family cruise forum further down the page where you may pick up hints for cruising.

We are going to have an 8 month old on our cruise in January.

We were wondering what we do about the car seat and stroller. When we go to excursions, where do we leave them? Do we have to lug it around? Any advice on what to bring or pack?

Also can someone tell me there experience with the guppies program on the Escape?

Thanks!

As suggested look for the Family Forum on Cruise Critic and post your questions there. You'll receive lots of good advice.

Ignore the folks in this thread who suggest not bringing your little one.

Have a great time! I haven’t cruised with a baby yet, but we took our 16 month old on a three week trip across Asia and before that all across Europe!!!! We’re booked on the Escape in Feb and want to use guppies for our-will be then- 18 month old—you’ll have to tell us how it is!! We’ll be bringing three kids... ;-) There is a recent live Escape review that posts all the dailies and they list the guppies drop off hours. I think it’s roughly 9am-10/11pm on sea days and 5pm-10/11 pm on port days. Thanks for the blow up bath idea, Arizona!

The guppies program consists of a playroom with toys and 1 or 2 activities per day oriented toward 1-2 year olds. I think the activities will be too old for your child (they are things like balloon dance party or finger painting), but the playroom will probably be useful to you. Just make sure you keep any toys with small parts that may be a choking hazard out of reach. I just noticed you said you're on the Escape, I haven't been on it, but there's a nursery so at least you'll be able to drop the baby off. I don't know any of the details about it though, probably you can search specifically for that and you can find all sorts of info.

I second the suggestion to bring an umbrella stroller that folds up compactly. You could probably stash it on any excursions you go on, if you choose to go on any. Depending on where you're going, you may not need to use a car seat in taxis (but up to you whether you feel safe with a child on your lap). Usually you can't use car seats on large vans or buses anyway. We didn't bring our car seat with us on our Mexican Riviera cruise last year, and we took a few very short taxi trips without it. We did bring a stroller and that was very nice to have. We didn't go on any excursions, just did our own thing.

Other stuff you should bring - I think NCL will supply a pack and play, but you might want to bring a sheet and blanket from home to provide something familiar. Your baby may not really use one yet, but a stuffed animal was really good for us. We introduced it right around when my daughter was 6 months, and I think it helped her a lot when we traveled to have it with her. A few toys or books or things you ordinarily play with at home. Lots of diapers, lots of wipes. A roll of small trash bags to put dirty diapers in when you throw them away (or dirty clothes if you have a leak). Baby food. Formula (if you use it). If you use bottles, bring some dish soap and a bottle brush to clean them out.

Honestly, I think you can have a great time with your baby on a cruise!

Edited by Apsalar

Hello! Husband and I have been on three cruises before kids, but this is first time with kids. We are cruising Escape in a little over a month, with our 3 year old and 14 month old. So while we haven't experienced it yet, here's a few things I'm planning for based on my research so far.

Spending 3 days in Miami first in a condo for a few relaxing pool and beach days - so we will just have the short commute from condo to port on Saturday (rented a car and bringing car seats). My mom is also joining us and has her own cabin and has offered to stow the car seats in her cabin since she has more room than we do!

Bringing umbrella stroller only - my little one has never loved the baby carrier but if she did I would also bring it.

Buying diapers wipes and baby snacks in Miami once we land. Packing all in extra duffle bag to bring on ship. I am packing things like pouches, prepackaged crackers, a few familiar things to have on hand.

I have a really small portable baby sunshade tent I'm bringing for beach days. Will have kids covered even if we can't find umbrellas. Also packing their puddle jumpers so no worries about finding life jackets at each stop.

Will have mini fridge emptied and will stock up on milk/fruit/etc. from buffet on a daily basis.

She's done with bottles so not an issue, but I am bringing a few sippy cups, small container of dish soap to wash in our cabin.

Booked a mini suite with a tub (although on other vacations with no tub we have just done showers together and it's worked fine).

Reserved a pack n play by calling NCL. They supply normal bedding sheets so I am bringing my own pack n play sheet, and then also bringing her sleep sack and one stuffed animal.

We are beach people and never do tours or long excursions so we don't feel like we are missing out there. We haven't booked any beach excursions - I have a plan on where we want to go at each port, but if it doesn't work on with kids that day for whatever reason we are content to stay on ship (part of reason we booked Escape over others).

Booked our dinner reservations around their normal dinner time and have no expectations for evenings. If they are content with the Guppies / Splash, we'll take advantage of non-reservation activities (no interest in the theater shows anyways!) My mom has also offered to hang with them a few nights so we can get out on 'date nights'.

Packing two Amazon kids tablets loaded with their favorite movies and games so no wifi needed. Packing a few small toys that are their favorites.

That's all I can think of now, I think it can definitely be done, just adjust expectations to accommodate the unexpected :) good luck!!

Any vacation (a cruise, Disney, camping, a condo on the beach, New York) is different once you have little ones. Do what you want, slow it down a little, and have a good time.

A balcony is nice if you can swing it as it is a nice place to hang out when the little one is asleep.

The baby won't remember the vacation, but you will.

Ignore the folks in this thread who suggest not bringing your little one.

And ignore that folks that tell you who to ignore. There are a lot of well-meaning people who are further away from the subject and may have thought of something you haven't considered because it's your little one.

I agree with RevCindy. My concern would be that vaccinations are not fully executed yet. I believe that the most important vaccinations are completed at the 1 year visit (I could be wrong). If your Pediatrician is comfy with your little one leaving the Country with current vaccinations, then all good. :)

Have fun and enjoy your cruise :)

I think 8 months is OK, and to be honest, I would take an 8 month old (that is not overly mobile) over a toddler or young preschooler ANY DAY (and if I am honest may be over my 10 year old too). At that point they are still pretty portable and don't have much of an opinion. The carseat isn't going to be much of an option. It has been our cab experience in many ports that seat belts are not a given. There are risks, but most of the time every thing is fine. I agree with doing things that you control. Pack a few extra of the essentials and have a good first family vacation.

I agree with this. We cruised with our daughter when she was 9 months and again when she was 13 months. It was MUCH easier when she was 9 months. That said we cruised in a suite, it probably would have been difficult without the extra space/storage space (and the help of a butler). You just need to pack very strategically and make a lot of lists. Pack enough diapers and wipes to last a week, pack enough formula (if she's using that) to last a week. If you're on formula, it's more expensive then powder but I'd recommend bringing the nursettes & disposable nipples, much easier than constantly trying to clean out bottles on the trip. Arm & Hammer disposable diaper bags that are powder-scented for dirty diapers was a huge help as well. Edit: Enfamil makes 2 ounce and 6 ounce nursettes and you can get the disposable nipples on amazon, we bought a carry-on suitcase full of it and did not have to wash any bottles, which would have been a huge drag on a cruise. Also, while NCL will provide a pack and play, we always brought our own because it had the built in changing table (which was much easier), but if you are in a balcony or below someone once told me that the standard sized pack and plays do not fit in those rooms.

I agree with RevCindy. My concern would be that vaccinations are not fully executed yet. I believe that the most important vaccinations are completed at the 1 year visit (I could be wrong). If your Pediatrician is comfy with your little one leaving the Country with current vaccinations, then all good. :)

Have fun and enjoy your cruise :)

When we were planning on traveling out of the country with out little guy, our pediatrician gave him an extra round of the MMR vaccine at 6 months. It doesn't replace any in the cycle, but it does give immunity for those few months before the standard dose at 1.