Questions cruising with baby.

Terachica

Hello! Husband and I have been on three cruises before kids, but this is first time with kids. We are cruising Escape in a little over a month, with our 3 year old and 14 month old. So while we haven't experienced it yet, here's a few things I'm planning for based on my research so far.

Are you planning a review when you're done? We're taking our then-15-month on the Escape in January, so would love to hear a current Guppies experience, if you have one, and any other tips and tricks you figure out by then, or realize afterwards. Thanks!

Are you planning a review when you're done? We're taking our then-15-month on the Escape in January, so would love to hear a current Guppies experience, if you have one, and any other tips and tricks you figure out by then, or realize afterwards. Thanks!

I've never done a review but I will definitely circle back about what worked and what didn't! I'll get copies of Splash and Guppy schedules, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've only cruised on Viking, and am new to NCL. I would find it interesting to mix with a younger crowd. The only thing that bothers me is a lot of screaming. I think if you are nice to other people, not affecting their environment in a negative way, people will be nice to you in return. I mean, who doesn't like babies?

Bring you little one and enjoy it! We have traveled with our grandchildren and their parents many times. Our last cruise was New years 2017 we had a 5 month old, a 1 yr old, 2 4Yr olds and a 10 yr old. We had a blast. Kids passed out in strollers after dinner and we enjoyed the live music the rest on the evening. I would suggest lots of antibacterial wipes. Pack outfits in plastic baggies (they work good for diaper disposal) we brought a very tiny blow up pool to sit by the lounge chairs because no babies in diapers allowed in pools. We had one of our Grand sons get pink eye on a previous cruise ( he was crawling) put down clean towels on floor of room. The crew members love the little ones and they will love to visit with you. Many of them have little ones of home and it makes them happy to see a tiny face. Enjoy your cruise!!

We are going to have an 8 month old on our cruise in January.

We were wondering what we do about the car seat and stroller. When we go to excursions, where do we leave them? Do we have to lug it around? Any advice on what to bring or pack?

Also can someone tell me there experience with the guppies program on the Escape?

Thanks!

Not a very good idea to cruise with a 8 month old baby.

Hey, if you want to cruise with your baby, go for it.

My comment is to people that actually think you are doing it so the baby experiences it. I do not know the OP, but can not imagine that is the reason. Hell, even a 2 year could care less and would be happy at Walmart - LOL!

Anyways, good luck. Check out the family cruising part. As to tours - you will have very limited options for diaper changing, feeding, etc. And if you want to do a car seat, they are going to charge you for taking a space.

To an extent I second the suggestion of the other person who said wait to he is older to take your child. I find that a cruise is one of those where I could not get the full experience if I had the responsibility of caring for an infant all week. While I would not say that a cruise is a 24/7 no holds barred party time, it is a place where there will be a lot of people letting their hair down to say the least and not much at all is conducive to having an an infant with you. Flying for a few hours, staying the night in a hotel, making sure you get to the port on time, wait through what is often a long cluster to board the ship, then waiting for no one knows how long until the cabins are ready would make for a rough 1st day for your child, hey it can kick my butt! :) Then the process on debarkation day and flying home that same day is even worse. All that for an experience that your child will never recall.

I applaud your desire to let your infant experience things, I just think that you might be better off if you could find family to watch your child for the week.

No matter what you do I hope your cruise is great!

this has always been my opinion as well. Even our daughter and now our granddaughters never thinking of crruising until the kids are old enough for kids camp, but not everyone sees it that way. It sounds like the OP has already made her plans. Everyone has their own idea about cruising. I know our great grand kids love to cruise, but again they are older.

I have talked to many on cruise ships, traveling with infants and toddlers. It seems like a mix opinion, I have heard a few say, it was fine, a few say "never again" and the rest have said, thank God we have grandma with us to help.

My feeling has always been, if you are going to cruise with a young child, think of where you take them on the ship for their sake, your sake and the other passengers. Understand, there will be many acitrivites you will not be able to do and please realize, you love your kids and think they are wonderful, a lot of cruisers would rather you keep the kds quiet. I think that is probably the biggest problem we have noticed, little ones do get tired and cranky plus if they are confined to a small cabin for days on end, even if it is just for sleeping the time will come when they will have a melt down and most people want to relax on a vacation, not hear a little one crying all the time. I think upscale specialty dining rooms, like Le bistro are not for little ones either, but I do see them in the better restaurants from time to time.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We were on the Escape last March. There were 12 of us including a 4 year old and 2 fourteen month olds. Yes the little ones will not remember it but they had a blast!! Granted the Escape has amazing amenities for little ones but we are headed out on the Sun at the end of November with one of the little ones again and have no worries that we will have an amazing time again. You just need to plan a bit. We made all of our dinner reservations for 5:30 so they can take an afternoon nap and be happy at dinner. We are hoping that they are not to tired to head to the shows as they love music!! but we will play it by ear and go with the flow and the entire 10 days and I know we are going to have a great time!!! Have fun on your trip :)

Not a very good idea to cruise with a 8 month old baby.

Hmm didn't see the OP ask "does anyone think it's a good or bad idea to cruise with my baby"! Just advice on logistical things. Stick to the topic. Your opinion was not requested. It is essentially a form of raining on someone's parade as they are already planning to take their child. It is also irrelevant if the child will remember the cruise. Why that even needs to be said, I don't know.

Hmm didn't see the OP ask "does anyone think it's a good or bad idea to cruise with my baby"! Just advice on logistical things. Stick to the topic. Your opinion was not requested. It is essentially a form of raining on someone's parade as they are already planning to take their child. ...

(y) (y)

We were on the Escape last March. There were 12 of us including a 4 year old and 2 fourteen month olds. Yes the little ones will not remember it but they had a blast!! Granted the Escape has amazing amenities for little ones but we are headed out on the Sun at the end of November with one of the little ones again and have no worries that we will have an amazing time again. You just need to plan a bit. We made all of our dinner reservations for 5:30 so they can take an afternoon nap and be happy at dinner. We are hoping that they are not to tired to head to the shows as they love music!! but we will play it by ear and go with the flow and the entire 10 days and I know we are going to have a great time!!! Have fun on your trip :)

Did the 14 month olds use the Guppie’s nursery? Do you have any details on that?

Thanks!

To all parents who want to bring their little ones on board:

I never took my boys on a vacation until till they were over temper tantrums and would not not impede on others who wanted a relaxation vacation. They were 7 and 9. They were fully aware of Disney AND DID NOT waste money cuz now they will remember that experience. Off to Disney Cruise we go a year later. Was awesome.

Not sure why people would bring newborn/under 3 years old on cruise. I was respectful not bringing my children until I thought they were of "age" and free of tantrums. No one on ship wants to hear a crying baby.

Y'all can say that "the crew" LOVES babies! Welcome! I previously posted my concerns about vaccinations.

If you are a responsible parent and remove your child from Dining Room (or any place else) when child is melting down, I commend you.

Too all parents who bring children:

I am on vacation.

I do not want to hear your kid having meltdown.

Be responsible

Not sure why people would bring newborn/under 3 years old on cruise. I was respectful not bringing my children until I thought they were of "age" and free of tantrums. No one on ship wants to hear a crying baby.

I am on vacation.

Be responsible

So... mega ships that market to families and have dedicated programs (for 6 months and up) are not proper places to bring kids for vacation?

Comments like this 'I was respectful' as noted above really amaze me. Respectful of whom? We are all paying the same fare to cruise. Plenty of adults in various social situations lack common courtesy ... often times in more significant ways than a crying child. On a cruise ship and off.

And yes, I fully agree that no one wants to hear kids crying and having meltdowns in public. Been there done that, I have removed my own child from the situation in those cases.

If your expectation is to go on vacation and be completely away from children, then adults only locations are for you.

We've done adults only vacations at land resorts, kid free cruises (encountering other children - and gasp! - Had a great time) and have taken vacations with our kids. We have enjoyed them all. It's completely reasonable to expect kids on a middle market mega ship.

Hey, if you want to cruise with your baby, go for it.

My comment is to people that actually think you are doing it so the baby experiences it. I do not know the OP, but can not imagine that is the reason. Hell, even a 2 year could care less and would be happy at Walmart - LOL!

Anyways, good luck. Check out the family cruising part. As to tours - you will have very limited options for diaper changing, feeding, etc. And if you want to do a car seat, they are going to charge you for taking a space.

When our kids were two, they thought that going to Grandma's and Grandpa's was the greatest vacation ever. And it was.

I am on vacation.

Be responsible

So... mega ships that market to families and have dedicated programs (for 6 months and up) are not proper places to bring kids for vacation?

Comments like this 'I was respectful' as noted above really amaze me. Respectful of whom? We are all paying the same fare to cruise. Plenty of adults in various social situations lack common courtesy ... often times in more significant ways than a crying child. On a cruise ship and off.

And yes, I fully agree that no one wants to hear kids crying and having meltdowns in public. Been there done that, I have removed my own child from the situation in those cases.

If your expectation is to go on vacation and be completely away from children, then adults only locations are for you.

We've done adults only vacations at land resorts, kid free cruises (encountering other children - and gasp! - Had a great time) and have taken vacations with our kids. We have enjoyed them all. It's completely reasonable to expect kids on a middle market mega ship.

Whoa! You agreed parents should take their kids away when having meltdowns.End of story

Did the 14 month olds use the Guppie’s nursery? Do you have any details on that?

Thanks!

No sorry we did not use Guppies Nursery. We brought a teenage cousin who after the show would go back to the room and the babies could go to sleep. We had two of the balconies that were connected so it worked out perfectly! We did go sign up on the first day at the nursery just in case we decided to use it. The staff at all the kids clubs were amazing on the Escape!!! The 4 year old LOVED kids club and never wanted to leave lol.

If you don't want to see children, my two river cruises on Viking had no babies or young people. On NCL I expect a mix of ages.

I don't know why people keep comparing rude adults with screaming children. It's a different kind of pain.

To all parents who want to bring their little ones on board:

I never took my boys on a vacation until till they were over temper tantrums and would not not impede on others who wanted a relaxation vacation. They were 7 and 9. They were fully aware of Disney AND DID NOT waste money cuz now they will remember that experience. Off to Disney Cruise we go a year later. Was awesome.

Y'all can say that "the crew" LOVES babies! Welcome! I previously posted my concerns about vaccinations.

If you are a responsible parent and remove your child from Dining Room (or any place else) when child is melting down, I commend you.

I am on vacation.

Be responsible

Because parents build memories with their kids. Photos etc. So they should stay home till their 7 or 9. Yeah ok.