Has anyone done Tauck's 'Budapest to the Black Sea' ?

OnTheJourney

This is another itinerary that really interests us, especially having just done one that ended up in Budapest. I'd like to go the rest of the way.

We did that itinerary just last year, but not with Tauck, but would imagine it is very similar. We enjoyed it very much, but it is totally different that other itineraries due to the fact that from Budapest to the Black Sea, countries are continuing to recover from years of depression under communistic rule. There are many buildings left in ruin because no one can determine who they now belong to since the dictators took them from the original owners and gave them to other people. We were told that there are currently 40,000 lawsuits alone in Bucharest trying to sort out that problem. But having said that - I would definitely recommend taking that cruise, particularly if you are interested in history. The ports were not the focus, but short bus rides to other sights was what we experienced.

Cole

We learnt from the Captain on our Danube cruise that between Amsterdam and Budapest, all the boats radio to each other in German. However, it is Russian between Budapest and the Black Sea.

That is just one of the differences on this segment of the river.

Cole and JohnKen...thanks so much for this info. I heard from someone else also that the sail from Budapest to Bucharest is very different than what is experienced west of Budapest. It was fascinating to visit countries that have only emerged from Communism only 20+ years ago. I have no doubt I'd enjoy seeing more on the way to the Black Sea. I guess we really should have done the entire voyage since the extra sail is only about another 7 days, although the Amsterdam to Budapest was certainly enough to absorb for one trip.

I took this cruise with another company back in 2004 so I guess a lot has changed since then. I started out in Bucharest and ended up in Budapest. I took the 3 day pre-trip and stayed in Sinaia and remember Peles Castle on one of the side trips. Veliko Tarbivi Bulgaria was a good stop along the way.

I did a similar route on croisi this spring. Went from Linz to the Danube Delta at Tulcea. Really enjoyed Novi Sad and Belgrade, Bucharest I'm not sure I saw enough of. The Iron Gates were great and I liked Rousse in Bulgaria. Much more "exotic" feel to me than Western Europe. Lots of monuments with Soviet and Turkish oppression ties.

Also, we then went up into Transylvania on our own, which was an absolute blast and a real gem if Romania.

You can't do Transylvania in one day. Well you can, but I'd recommend three or four days. I wasn't done with 4 days. Many of the cities worth seeing are two or so hours from the next city, some of which are fairly slow roads and dirt roads. Really cool history and some great old towns there, lots of castles.

We learnt from the Captain on our Danube cruise that between Amsterdam and Budapest, all the boats radio to each other in German. However, it is Russian between Budapest and the Black Sea.

That is just one of the differences on this segment of the river.

According to our Captain, the Danube languages are French and German. I can't fathom any Captain of a non-Russian flagged vessel responding to a Russian radio call. Not that I saw a Russian flagged vessel in our 12 days on the Danube.