Illness

elfinmagic

Anyone with AML leukemia or traveling with someone with it - do you still cruise and how do you handle blood tests, getting info back to your doctor and what if you need a blood transfusion?? This is not a joke post!

Sorry to hear about your illness. I am sure they do not do transfusions onboard the ship. I guess you would have to go to a local hospital while on the cruise. I suppose you could email your doctor your test results. Cruise Critic is a large community so I am sure someone will give you a more definitive answer . Once again sorry to hear about your illness

On one of our recent cruises on the Caribbean Princess they made an announcement and asked passengers for a blood donation due to an emergency with one of the passengers. I assume it was for a transfusion?? They would only accept donations if you had carried your donor card.

Obviously check with the doctor treating the patient before booking a cruise. Perhaps it's possible to time treatment right before the cruise date so that testing would not be needed. My mother was getting transfusions for a different type of leukemia. Her transfusions were on a semi-regular basis, every four to six weeks.