Letter to NB

Minoushka

If you read all the threads in NCL forum dealing with Barcelona you will read posts from some of the people who are currently there so can speak to the issue of safety. So it is not brazen to say folks are safe there.

Exactly

If you read all the threads in NCL forum dealing with Barcelona you will read posts from some of the people who are currently there so can speak to the issue of safety. So it is not brazen to say folks are safe there.

Did you read post #16?

Sorry but that's just not something anyone can say

As I posted, I'm NOT a sky is falling type of person but I certainly would never post that everything was totally safe in Barcelona considering the recent events

Yes, it may be in fact quite safe there now and may well stay that way but no one can guarantee anything, good or bad, but posters seem to be able to somehow guarantee nothing has or will change

It's much more realistic to state that all things appear safe in Barcelona right now , based on first person reports and the ncl FB page showing posts from those there now stating such. It's also smart to say something like...it's probably safe to assume the situation is fluid and probably smart to keep a close eye on it.

But for posters to say it's totally business as usual is ridiculous because the fact is something major is going on there right now that is more than highly unusual and is STILL evolving

It doesn't matter what I would or wouldn't do, but I'm certainly realistic enough to be wary of Barcelona right now simply because it's actions are not an everyday occurrence

Better to say..."things appear safe, but it probably requires a close eye to be kept on it"

It's very frustrating to travel these days it seems but nothing we can do about it. You either travel or you don't but you certainly don't just say everything is business as usual in an area like Barcelona at this very point. That's all I'm saying and I'm saying that because it's obvious its not an everyday occurrence

Food for thought....would you book a last minute leisure trip to Barcelona right now for say next Wednesday? Would you honestly feel comfortable say booking a cruise departing there for next Sunday? Lol...I'm sure posters here will say yes of course. But realistically..

Do you think the ncl bookings for Barcelona cruises are up right now? Or down? Do you think ncl is raising or cutting prices for unsold cabins at this point? Do you think ncl has received cancellations from those still before final payment?

My take..

Ncl will cut prices

Cruisers will grab deals

Some already booked cruisers will cancel

Cruisers will look for cruises stopping elsewhere

Cruisers will not care

Cruisers will care

The list goes on and on but I'm fairly confident there are plenty of concerned people out there that are very nervous if going there in the near future and that it's way too early to feel totally safe about putting money down on a trip to Barcelona right now

It doesn't take a genius to say they feel cruisers may currently be looking elsewhere right now

I know for a fact that spring semester abroad in Barcelona for college kids is definitely in question right now and many schools are considering cancelling them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you read post #16?

As I posted, I'm NOT a sky is falling type of person but I certainly would never post that everything was totally safe in Barcelona considering the recent events

Yes, it may be in fact quite safe there now and may well stay that way but no one can guarantee anything, good or bad, but posters seem to be able to somehow guarantee nothing has or will change

It's much more realistic to state that all things appear safe in Barcelona right now , based on first person reports and the ncl FB page showing posts from those there now stating such. It's also smart to say something like...it's probably safe to assume the situation is fluid and probably smart to keep a close eye on it.

But for posters to say it's totally business as usual is ridiculous because the fact is something major is going on there right now that is more than highly unusual and is STILL evolving

It doesn't matter what I would or wouldn't do, but I'm certainly realistic enough to be wary of Barcelona right now simply because it's actions are not an everyday occurrence

Better to say..."things appear safe, but it probably requires a close eye to be kept on it"

It's very frustrating to travel these days it seems but nothing we can do about it. You either travel or you don't but you certainly don't just say everything is business as usual in an area like Barcelona at this very point. That's all I'm saying and I'm saying that because it's obvious its not an everyday occurrence

Food for thought....would you book a last minute leisure trip to Barcelona right now for say next Wednesday? Would you honestly feel comfortable say booking a cruise departing there for next Sunday? Lol...I'm sure posters here will say yes of course. But realistically..

Do you think the ncl bookings for Barcelona cruises are up right now? Or down? Do you think ncl is raising or cutting prices for unsold cabins at this point? Do you think ncl has received cancellations from those still before final payment?

My take..

Ncl will cut prices

Cruisers will grab deals

Cruisers will not care

Cruisers will care

The list goes on and on but I'm fairly confident there are plenty of concerned people out there that are very nervous if going there in the near future and that it's way too early to feel totally safe about putting money down on a trip to Barcelona right now

It doesn't take a genius to say they feel cruisers may currently be looking elsewhere right now

I know for a fact that spring semester abroad in Barcelona for college kids is definitely in question right now and many schools are considering cancelling them

President Trump claims the North Korea threats to Guam will increase their tourism 10 fold. I'm guessing you will not be part of the increase. I'll be going next year, and not because anything North Korea or Trump said. If you live in fear, then the enemy has won.

Did you read post #16?

My take..

Ncl will cut prices

Cruisers will grab deals

Cruisers will not care

Cruisers will care

Your sky is definitely falling:eek:

President Trump claims the North Korea threats to Guam will increase their tourism 10 fold. I'm guessing you will not be part of the increase. I'll be going next year, and not because anything North Korea or Trump said. If you live in fear, then the enemy has won.

There is no enemy to us in Barcelona

If anyone decides to forgo Barcelona at this point it's because of the internal political unrest there not because of any threat to tourists.

To say that forgoing Barcelona this week or month is living in fear is ridiculous. If a tourist decides to not visit an area ....that has just declared independence.... in the immediate future does not mean they are fearful it means they have made a calculated decision.

Seriously the posters here need to recognize that it is not a crime to avoid an area and avoiding an area doesn't make you a coward nor does going to a particular area make you a hero

If I were booked for Barcelona I'd still go I guess but I certainly wouldn't book a vacay or cruise from there in the immediate future. Why bother when there are other ports that have not just declared independent?

It's still early in the game over there and Spain may well take military action

The coming days and weeks will tell so what didn't disrupt tourism yesterday may well disrupt it tomorrow

Smart money takes a wait and see attitude versus proclaiming everything is fine there and nothing will change so no worries.

No itinerary was altered by any cruise line following the major terrorist incident in August in Barcelona so I doubt it will be amended for a peaceful demonstration. Nor has any cruise line or holiday company cancelled trips to major US cities following the latest shooting incidents.

If everyone cancelled trips because of demonstrations we would never travel outside our own towns!!

No itinerary was altered by any cruise line following the major terrorist incident in August in Barcelona so I doubt it will be amended for a peaceful demonstration. Nor has any cruise line or holiday company cancelled trips to major US cities following the latest shooting incidents.

If everyone cancelled trips because of demonstrations we would never travel outside our own towns!!

OP,

Las Ketchup - Sometimes when I'm down, I click on my favorite Spanglish Song for an uplift.

My posts have not referenced cancellations as a main point

My posts are focusing on the fact that for posters to say everything is perfectly ok and there are no problems in Barcelona is somewhat naive imho

The country just broke away

Spain is not happy with this as Catalonia is a major tax revenue stream for them

While things may be in fact status quo today that doesn't predict tomorrow.

How Spain will react is anyone's guess but I've read the military in on its way. Maybe it is or maybe its fake news maybe it will be peaceful or maybe there will be some action ...but that is yet to be seen. It's totally possible not a thing will happen and that Spain will just let them go but I highly doubt that.

But I digress....my point with your previous post was the certainty that you have that things are perfect in Barcelona and nobody should concern themselves about it

Sorry but the concern is ...and should be ....the uncertainty of the future of Catalonia ....and if it will be peaceful change or military change

As I posted, if I were booked for Barcelona I would go

I would also have a higher level of apprehension simply because I am always totally aware of my surroundings

Now posters here will tell me I should never travel. Lol

Knowing your surroundings and the possible volatility in the country you are visiting is actually the sign of a savvy secure well traveled person

Saying there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that it is business as usual is a sign that a person should be taking off the rose colored glasses

Or just plain delusional

To reiterate

If I were booked I guess I would still go

If my insurance and/or airline/cruise line allowed for cancellation because of this issue I would definitely consider that option

If I were in the midst of planning a trip to the area in say winter17 to spring 18 I would try to avoid a Barcelona stop

That's just me a person who utilizes peripheral vision. Lol

My posts have not referenced cancellations as a main point

My posts are focusing on the fact that for posters to say everything is perfectly ok and there are no problems in Barcelona is somewhat naive imho

The country just broke away

Spain is not happy with this as Catalonia is a major tax revenue stream for them

While things may be in fact status quo today that doesn't predict tomorrow.

How Spain will react is anyone's guess but I've read the military in on its way. Maybe it is or maybe its fake news maybe it will be peaceful or maybe there will be some action ...but that is yet to be seen. It's totally possible not a thing will happen and that Spain will just let them go but I highly doubt that.

But I digress.........

Sorry but the concern is ...and should be ....the uncertainty of the future of Catalonia ....and if it will be peaceful change or military change

As I posted, if I were booked for Barcelona I would go

I would also have a higher level of apprehension simply because I am always totally aware of my surroundings

Now posters here will tell me I should never travel. Lol

Knowing your surroundings and the possible volatility in the country you are visiting is actually the sign of a savvy secure well traveled person

Saying there is absolutely nothing to worry about and that it is business as usual is a sign that a person should be taking off the rose colored glasses

Or just plain delusional

To reiterate

If I were booked I guess I would still go

If my insurance and/or airline/cruise line allowed for cancellation because of this issue I would definitely consider that option

If I were in the midst of planning a trip to the area in say winter17 to spring 18 I would try to avoid a Barcelona stop

That's just me a person who utilizes peripheral vision. Lol

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. The Country has not split up.

So, you are not even booked. Sorry, I missed that. A letter to the NCL head office with dire warnings such as you made are a bit presumptuous if you have no stake in the cruise at all.

"Knowing your surroundings and the possible volatility" is something to be aware of for all travel.

I am not sure you have peripheral vision, sounds more like tunnel and confused vision to me.

So, in the end, things are so bad to cause you to write a letter and we are delusional yet, if you were booked you would still go?Your message is very confusing.

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. The Country has not split up.

So, you are not even booked. Sorry, I missed that. A letter to the NCL head office with dire warnings such as you made are a bit presumptuous if you have no stake in the cruise at all.

"Knowing your surroundings and the possible volatility" is something to be aware of for all travel.

I am not sure you have peripheral vision, sounds more like tunnel and confused vision to me.

So, in the end, things are so bad to cause you to write a letter and we are delusional yet, if you were booked you would still go?Your message is very confusing.

lol I'm not the op

I didn't write any letter to ncl. Lol however you tell me I have tunnel vision when you don't even know who you are responding to? I'm not the one confused here.

I'm responding to posters like post #16 that seem to be confident everything is perfect in Barcelona and refuse to even consider anything else

I know it's tough to follow these threads sometimes

lol I'm not the op

I didn't write any letter to ncl. Lol however you tell me I have tunnel vision when you don't even know who you are responding to? I'm not the one confused here.

I'm responding to posters like post #16 that seem to be confident everything is perfect in Barcelona and refuse to even consider anything else

I know it's tough to follow these threads sometimes

LOL all you want, I responded to what you said in your post. OP or not, my comment to your post are valid and still stand.

So you have read the military is on it's way. I don't know why you think you are more aware of your surroundings, as it looks like you are basing your whole knowledge of the situation on a news report from some unnamed publication or other.

The situation in Catalonia is less volatile than you appear to infer.

.(Source: BBC).

Madrid has called for fresh regional elections on 21 December.

A spokeswoman for Mr Puigdemont's PDeCAT party said it would field candidates "with conviction". The ex-president could run in new elections if he has not been jailed by then, according to Spain's Foreign Minister Alfonso Dastis.

(Source: BBC)

So how Spain will react is to call fresh elections and call for the arrest of the Catalan leaders. No military movement.

LOL all you want, I responded to what you said in your post. OP or not, my comment to your post are valid and still stand.

Yup. There are plenty of places the State Department advises to avoid and people still travel there safely. Mindanao has been off limits for years, and with 7,100 other islands in the Philippines I won't be going there anytime soon. I correspond with Americans who have been living there for 6 years and love it. Another friend just went to Mindanao to propose marriage to his long distance sweetheart. He had no problems in 2 weeks on Mindanao but got pickpocketed at the Mall of Asia in Manila. No State Department warning about that, but he admits it was his own fault for not being aware of his surroundings and the history of such actions. Barcelona is the same. Would have avoided Barcelona 1936 to 1939.