Classic Drinks Package Changes

MandB

Apparently this has been experienced on other ships -- sometimes only glasses of soda, but other times cans of soda. I can speculate on the reasons -- perhaps as you surmise, it is to convince people to upgrade their packages. Perhaps there is a supply problem along the line. Perhaps they are testing this on a couple of ships and will modify the package later.

BTW, if you wanted a glass of wine that was more expensive than the package allowed, you could have just paid the difference in price.

WHen I have asked about this onboard Summit, Ive been told if its not in the package you must pay the FULL price, not the increment.

WHen I have asked about this onboard Summit, Ive been told if its not in the package you must pay the FULL price, not the increment.

We sailed Summit twice this year, July and September into October and had the Classic Drink Package both times. We did not have this problem. We only paid the difference in price.

Also on both cruises every time my DH and I ordered soda we were given unopened cans of soda.

Welcome smarks to Celebrity! I would call Celebrity directly. They can connect you to the correct department. The website mentions Celebrity gifts for any occasion, but it isn't very specific. Keep in mind that there may be a bottle of champagne in your cabin provided by your travel agent or from Celebrity, depending on the level of cabin you choose. And you can bring two bottles of wine on board per cabin at no charge. No hard liquor, though.

Heather, Do you usually order mixed drinks with well liquor? Would you rather prefer premium call or top shelf liquors? If it's the latter, then you will have no choice but to upgrade because the quality difference is well worth the $11.80 additional daily cost. Then you'll be able to do that Pellegrino brush and try Belvedere Vodka in your martini. :D

And/or brush with Belvedere, as well!

LOL

bon voyage

Good thing she didn't try to smuggle FROZEN Daiquiris. :hearteyes:

Then I suppose you'd think this was Wrong, wrong, wrong too? http://www.rumrunnerflasks.com/

Well if I do find that wrong, wrong, wrong, then I find this wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....

And yeah, I'd deffo avoid the froz... No, let's not go there!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smuggle-Your-Booze-Tampon-Wrappers/dp/B00CRG27SI

We are on constellation in November docking in Abu Dhabi in time for the formula one race.

Can anyone tell me if there are taxi's available at the port and approximate cost of the trip to Yas Marina?

We are on constellation in November docking in Abu Dhabi in time for the formula one race.

Can anyone tell me if there are taxi's available at the port and approximate cost of the trip to Yas Marina?

OOPS...I believe you posted to the wrong thread. Try asking your questions on your roll call for your cruise or the Ports of Call forum since this thread is about "Classic Drinks Package Changes". ;)

We just got off the Infinity (LA-Ft Lauderdale) and I am not at all happy with what they are doing with the drink packages. As with our past several cruises we had the classic package but found it is of much less value than it used to be. Seems like they raised the prices of many drinks so they no longer fall under $9/drink limit and, for me, the biggest change is that you can no longer get a can of soda. The new rule is that the classic package only allows for fountain drinks (by the glass). Although, in almost all cases, I watched as they poured by glass of soda out of a can. This seems to be a bit much for a package Celebrity says is worth $55/day. My guess is that it is yet another way for them to convince passengers to pay that extra $10/day for the premium package. Wine at dinner was also a challenge as there are almost no choices that now be had with "only" the classic package. Yes, I know I could just pay the extra $10/day and upgrade! However, I don't think it is too much to ask to get a can of soda when paying $55/day for a package. By the way I checked the Celebrity website while on board and found that it still indicated the classic package included "can or fountain" drinks. When I discussed this with a supervisor in the bar department I was told that they had no control over the Celebrity website and could only follow the verbal directions they were given by corporate.

This is our biggest issue as well. My DH only drinks Diet Coke from cans (plus hot chocolate).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Reading many of the posts since I started this thread shows why Celebrity (and all the other cruise lines) are able to make changes like this. Most people say "oh well, just pay the extra price" I agree, that is certainly an option. However, I still say that it is not too much to ask to get a can of soda if you are paying $55/day for a package (I know most people don't add this as an option and get it as a 'perk' but you are still paying for it in the price you paid for the cruise one way or another). I, for one, would love for Celebrity to keep their Classic drink package and reduce my fare by $55/day. I can then buy the drinks I want while on board.

Reading many of the posts since I started this thread shows why Celebrity (and all the other cruise lines) are able to make changes like this. Most people say "oh well, just pay the extra price" I agree, that is certainly an option. However, I still say that it is not too much to ask to get a can of soda if you are paying $55/day for a package (I know most people don't add this as an option and get it as a 'perk' but you are still paying for it in the price you paid for the cruise one way or another). I, for one, would love for Celebrity to keep their Classic drink package and reduce my fare by $55/day. I can then buy the drinks I want while on board.

Yes it is too much to ask for the can unless you're willing to pay according to corporate. To understand why Celebrity and their sister lines are squeezing profits, you need to google RCL double/double. That's the program they initiated in 2015.

Fountain soda is much less expensive than canned. It explains why the water disappeared from Aqua Class, the meat in the MDR has gone to cheaper cuts and seafood has virtually disappeared to special dishes.

As a result, RCI, Celebrity's parent company, just this week announced record profits due to decreased discounts and increased cost cutting. Thus it is too much to ask for canned. That is also why you're now able to pay the slight difference for a brand they moved off the Classic list. It generates more revenue.