Amazon River Cruise 2018

SteelMagnolia9

I am considering the 2018 Amazon River cruise on the Prisendam. My previous cruise with HAL was in 2010. I would appreciate any information anyone can provide me that has been on this cruise. What were the highlights of this cruise? Any special excursions while on the Amazon that you would recommend? I know that the Prisendam is a small ship-what type of activities, entertainment, etc. is there on this cruise to keep one busy when not in port? I'll be traveling solo and my budget would fit an ocean view cabin. Any suggestions on cabin? I'd also appreciate hearing about both Traditional and Open dining on the ship. Wondering how traditional dining for 28 days at the same table would be vs. open dining. Are there shared tables available during open dining? Thank you in advance for answering these questions.

As to an outside cabin, I would recommend a lower deck between the two elevator banks. That level would give you a nice view of what is outside when there is scenic cruising. It's also convenient for both directions you may want to go.

Fixed seating dinner is in the smaller dining room just off the Ocean Bar, and the inside area of the aft dining room; open seating is around the rim of the aft dining room. IIRC there are tables in different sizes there.

The Prinsendam has an Explorers Lounge with light classical music in the early evening, and a movie theatre nearby. There is a show lounge with something going on at night; lectures are also given there.

The Ocean Bar has pre-dinner music and a small band playing in the evening. And the Crow's Nest has a piano player, usually at cocktail time, and again around 9:00 PM. It is nothing like a traditional piano bar, but it's the best they have due to the design of the room.

Daytime has the usual lectures, trivia, bingo---things like that.

Did the Amazon River on Prinsendam in November/December of 2016 and absolutely loved the river, its people and, of course, Prinsendam.

We had an outside cabin but spent much more time on deck and in Crow's Nest than in cabin looking out the window. That said, the insides are small and tight. Also, like RuthC mentioned, between the elevators will give you a nice sized cabin. Forward OV cabins tend to get smaller as they move forward with portholes at the most forward ones. Look to make sure you get the bathroom you prefer as some are full bath and shower and some just shower only.

If there were one HAL tour I'd tell you not to miss it would be the Boi Bumba show in Parintins. Absolutely worth the cost. Wonderful tours in all stops and just walk around the village of Boca de Valeria. We also were thrilled to get to see Devil's Island. That's an iffy stop but we made it.

Be sure to be prepared for intense humidity and lots of walking. We never saw a mosquito and were told that the water was too acidic to support hatching them. There were loads of other bugs though and you'll find the ship's lights attract them. Be prepared with enough clothing as laundry will not be done while on the river as they can't make water so won't spare it. Sunscreen! Also, smoke from fires where they are clearing the land can become quite bothersome so be prepared to endure that. While there was some smoke while we were there, it wasn't too bad, but do be aware if you have breathing difficulties.

We dined mostly in the Lido so can't say much about MDR seating.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Another advocate for the Boi Bumbo show - have seen it twice and was amazed each time. Recommend you buy this tour before you leave as not a big facility and a popular show. At the small Amazon ports, there are many children with a parrot, a small monkey, etc for photos and they do expect $1, so bring a stack if so inclined. The river is amazing and the lectures were excellent. Have fun!

A couple of thoughts about the Boi Bumba show... as has been mentioned the facility is rather like a high school auditorium in size and will likely sell out. Go early and get a front row seat for an unobstructed view as the seating is not tiered. The show can get a little loud so be prepared if that bothers you. It is a full hour and more of constant movement, color, sound, dance and will wear you out just watching it. You will not be disappointed!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the positive comments on the Boi Bumba show. It’s on my list now of “must see.” (I apologize for my delayed response to your comments).

Questions:

1. How is the internet onboard? Are their packages available?

2. Traditional v. Open Dining - Specifically, on the Prisendam, which do you prefer/have reserved in the past? I’m wondering how traditional dining would be for a 28 day voyage. Your comments on both for this length of voyage would be welcome.

Thank you!

2. Traditional v. Open Dining - Specifically, on the Prisendam, which do you prefer/have reserved in the past? I’m wondering how traditional dining would be for a 28 day voyage.

My last cruise on the Prinsendam was 28 days (technically it was 2 14-day cruises), and so is my next one. I much prefer the fixed seating, and find it works well.

Truthfully, it is really no different on this ship than on any other HAL ship, although the longer the cruise, the better you get to know your tablemates.