The night before you cruise

geocruiser

I usually don't sleep much the night before I leave for the cruise, as I am usually still packing. I keep working my evening shift, giving myself one free day before I leave to finish all the errands, find missing items, etc. Somehow, it never seems to work, and I may get two hours sleep. Before my last cruise, I had to be at the train station for 5:45 am, so I didn't get any sleep at all, just packed all night!

I'd better not be sleeping the night before a cruise ... cause generally I'm at work (midnight to 8:00 a.m. shift). I work it out to come in a bit early that last night, so that I can leave directly from here for the airport early.

This is how I've done it before every cruise. The only exception will be my January cruise to Hawaii/South Pacific. For that one, I will be leaving from home. That's also the only cruise I've taken thus far where I will be spending one day pre-cruise in the port city (San Diego).

I figure, I probably won't sleep the night before any cruise ... too excited. So, why not just work my shift and use the time productively? That way I've got another vacation day to play with for a later cruise. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I usually take a day or two off before leaving so I can clean and pack:rolleyes:

Somehow I get distracted, doing other things, and then I'm up half of the night cleaning, packing and comforting my wary dog. It's part of my ritual.

There is plenty of time to doze on the ship!:p

I tend to take a full day off the day before a trip to settle last minute errands at home and to pack. Still I find myself packing late into the night - constantly changing my mind on what to bring - and usually get around 5 hours of sleep. I think its just a normal part of vacation planning. I'd be more worried if I wasn't jittery and constantly thinking about the trip.

I very rarely sleep the night before a cruise. There are two reasons--the most important is I procrastinate, the second is I am too excited. I usually leave the day before to get to the port city. However, I work the day before that so there is lots to do when I get home-like clean the last minute things out of the fridge (been getting better at not having too much left over), making sure the house is really clean (I like to come back to a clean house since I have been pampered all week), making sure all bills are paid (do not want any nasty surprizes), and chatting on the boards with folks that are going with me.

So with that said, I like many others arrive exhausted but very happy. I usually pick up a couple of things that would have weighed too much to fly with and hit the sack. Once in the port city I sleep like a baby.

I don't have trouble sleeping. I'm usually packed way in advance, with only a few minor things to finish packing prior to stepping into the towncar for the ride to the airport. As for being too excited ... I'm already LONG past that stage and am too worn out to stay awake.

Sleep like a baby. But then I've always believed there's not much in this world worth losing sleep over. And I don't.

The last three years I've been fortunate enough to be able to have a car drive me to the port on the day of embarkation---no flights to catch! I've taken that last day off from work to do all those last-minute things. Packing is long-since finished.

Next July, though, things change when I fly to Vancouver a day before the cruise. I'll probably sleep the night before the flight, but not sure how I'll do the night before the cruise: Strange bed, will have older grandgirl with me, and won't bother to unpack my breathing machine.

I sleep like a baby the night before the cruise because I'm usually in a hotel at the port the night before we sail...

...its the night before I fly out of SF that I can only sleep a few short hours - and usually wake up early to finish last minute packing!

As we always fly in to our embarkation port a few days beforehand, I cannot sleep very well the night before we fly out from home as that is when our vacation really begins. We always use a limo to take us to our airport and from the moment we leave our home that is when our vacation begins, so usually we board the ship anytime from a few days to a week or so later and by then I am in the holiday frame of mind and sleeping like an angel.

Jennie

I have a very hard time falling asleep the night before a cruise. Basically, after about an hour, I'm wide awake with enough energy to paint the house, write a short novel, learn a foreign language. If I went on about 20 cruises a year I really could get a tremendous amount accomplished.

Cruiserking

Archived