FYI: New Security Meaures for Travelers flying to the U.S.

nelblu

Global Entry includes Pre-Check, but they are different things.

Pre-Check allows expedited screening when departing. You do not have to take off your shoes, do not remove your laptop or 3-1-1 liquids from your bag.

Global Entry is upon entry to the US, and allows expedited entry using a kiosk, that has your data. Takes maybe a minute to get through.

NEXUS is like Global Entry, but only for the Mexican and Canadian borders, and allows expedited entry to the US.

Nexus gives easy entrance to Canada, gives you global entry, and gives you precheck. And costs $50 and is free for minors. If you live near a nexus interview spot it’s brilliant.

The CBP Trusted Traveler programs are only a few $$$ more than just the TSA Pre-Check. The only downside is for CBP you have to do a face to face interview at an enrollment station, which could be some distance from where you live.

Nexus is cheaper than precheck and GE. And includes precheck and GE.

As an American, I have been asked these questions for all domestic flights for as long as I can remember. No change from my perspective.

I used to have to answer those questions before 911, then a bit after 911 they stopped. In my experience.

I'm really curious about this as well. When we got our Nexus cards, they threw in Global Entry (the US version). DD is a fan of driving across the border making her flights all domestic.

Of course they threw it in. It’s part of nexus.

I've experienced similar screenings for several years at various European airports. Heathrow and Shannon come to mind in regards to several questions being asked of us.

Just another hurdle to jump over because of a few idiots in this world who have no regard for human life.

I got questioned at heathrow a few years ago. In my case no doubt they could just tell I’d like to stay in Europe and are making sure I don’t. :)

This is incorrect.

Pre-Check DOES work for international flights, IF you are flying on a US carrier aircraft.

So fly United ticket, on a United aircraft out of Denver, and you get Pre-Check (if qualified).

If you fly on a United ticket on a Lufthansa aircraft (code share), no Pre-Check.

As another example of “nope it’s not that simple” we booked through Aer Lingus (who does NOT participate in precheck) and our first flight was on a United plane. (But codeshare with AL and booked through AL). AL gave us the United confirmation number so I added it to my united account and did online checkin for that flight. And got precheck for that flight.

Alas at ORD we had to go to terminal 5 which is outside security, and bc the second flight was on AL who does not participate (and has no spot to put in my KTN) so we got normal security. Sigh.

As an American, I have been asked these questions for all domestic flights for as long as I can remember. No change from my perspective.

What airlines?

They used to ask those in the 90s, then stopped. But some foreign carriers asked them.

Then they came back, but only flying back to the US.

But I do not fly a lot of domestic, unless connecting to international.

I just got off a domestic flight last night, and was not asked the luggage questions.

Just boarded yesterday at DFW (I hate that airport). No Pre-Check, unless you walked down about 11 gates (and terminal is single sided). But they did allow Pre-Check to not remove their shoes. Still had to take out electronics and liquids.

Oh, and they had a normal and premium line. A colleague was with me, he is not premium, so they would not allow him in the premium line with me (which they normally will), but he actually got through FASTER.

Just flew yesterday from Warsaw, Poland, through Paris (CDG) to Cincinnati. Warsaw to Paris was a Delta code share flight on an Air France plane. Paris to Cincinnati was a Delta flight/plane. No questions at all during check-in at Warsaw. Had a couple of quick questions at the gate in Paris while boarding (why was I in Warsaw and how long). Similar questions when going through customs in Cincinnati (where was I and how long). I probably spent less than 60 seconds total at all 3 locations answering security related questions.

Just flew back a few hours ago from Maldives via Hong Kong to SFO. There wasn't much special about leaving the Maldives. However, Hong Kong does have extra security and since this is our first time via HGK I can't say it's any different.

However, leaving HGK and having stayed within the sterile area our carry on luggage was xrayed twice and we were questioned several times. At the Cathay Pacific gate area we were briefly questioned and passports were examined twice before we were allowed into the sectioned off pre-board seating area. Then as we started down the jet way to actually board there were 6-8 more security officers again hand searching luggage, doing pat downs, and explosive residue swab checks. Not everybody got the "full" treatment, but everybody got something extra prior to getting into the plan.

This was our first time using Global Entry and all I can say is, "SWEET." We were off the plane and on the sidewalk in less that 15 minutes. No forms to fill out no search no questions.