Just off the Escape 10/28

jchillin

Hi, just got off my 2nd cruise on the Escape. First was a solo cruise last March which was wonderful. Unfortunately cruise 2 was a nightmare. The ship of course is still beautiful and had 2 friends and a balcony this time. However, the financial service area is a mess. We spent nearly every day at guest relations. I was charged 2x for my spa service (hot stone massage which was great) $187.62 charged 2x had to keep explaining I had only one massage. It still has not been refunded....my sister got dehydrated from to much sun, not enough fluids and she was given 2 IV fluids for a total of $1400!!! Yes, $1400!! They locked her account until we paid it. They said oh don't worry it won't be much. We will just hydrate her. The bill was more then her part of the cruise. We had charges from someone else's account as well as movies we didn't rent. All 3 pf pur cards got locked on different occasions and had to return to guest services to have our cards unlocked. Our excursion was cancelled in Honduras due to rain and they refunded only one of our tickets. We are still working on getting the other refund. If I never see the guest relation desk again I will be happy. It definitely caused a damper on our vacation and I'm not sure I will return to NCL on my next cruise next spring. I need a vaca from that vaca.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I am totally shocked no one has posted a response to this. In fair view, it was your sisters responsibility to hydrate and apply sunblock to avoid this from ever happening. That medical bill you incurred is a non-issue and should not factor in review. However, my interest has been piqued why customer service was so bad. New on NCL and hoping this was an isolated incident. I value other opinions here, as long as they have valuable info to offer rather than degrade and worthless input.

I was under the impression that NCL accommodates to the fullest extent. I sail in 2 weeks (first time NCL). Any and all input would be awesome.

Following. Thanks :)

Oh I absolutely agree it was my sister's responsibility. That's not in question. But not telling us the fee prior to give hydration or letting us believe it would be a reasonable bill is an issue. We expected 300, 400 even 500. But $1400?? I'm a nurse I would have taken her to the cabin and done it myself. I really don't know why the customer service was so poor this trip. As I said my first sailing was amazing which is why I returned 6 months later on the same ship with 2 extra guests.

We also met a couple at the desk who had a bill for $3,000 for a stomach bug. She had to stay in her cabin for 3 days to be sure it wasn't contagious which it turned out to be

Thank you for info. People here need to hear the "real time" info. I am sure they will cut and paste T&Cs and shoot down, but nice to hear REAL EXPERIENCES.. I guess fair warning to all if you need medical assistance.

Thank you for sharing. Hope it is an eye opening to all. Check your Medical Policy. No way should people get raped cuz they have fallen ill on cruise.

Can't wait for cheerleaders who are elite to chime in

To the OP:

You obviously did not receive a quality cruise product from your service provider. Another fail for NCL.

Variance analysis - did you receive the product and services precisely as portrayed in their marketing? Correspond with NCL in a professional manner and quote from their advertising and indicate each failure and put a $ price on it.

Utilize Trip Advisor, CNN Travel etc and provide your professional analysis - the more consumers do this, the more probabilty of your concern being addressed.

Do not bother patronizing NCL again, there are other cruise lines available for your consideration.

As for the medical bill, the price is reasonable considering the costly overhead required (also like a hospital) that has to be in place to provide this service. You did not pay only for the 1 hr (or what ever the time was).

There are more and more complaints on these boards - like the RCL mysterious charge that shows up after you leave the ship pertaining to the mini bar - happens to thousands of RCL patrons.

This is all deliberate corporate strategy to make more $ based on the valid assumption that consumers are lazy and will not fight it and if they do, only a few with perservere.

Having cruised since 1989, we have changed our on board strategy due to the rapid increase in cruise line nickle and diming and frankly deliberate incompetence and poor intent. We purchase nothing aboard the ship, no additional dining, no beverage package, no spa, nothing. Keeps things simple. We purchase a quality cruise line like Oceania and that is all that is required.

You have power as a consumer, use it to hammer back and be very choosy who you patronize.

Hi, just got off my 2nd cruise on the Escape. First was a solo cruise last March which was wonderful. Unfortunately cruise 2 was a nightmare. The ship of course is still beautiful and had 2 friends and a balcony this time. However, the financial service area is a mess. We spent nearly every day at guest relations. I was charged 2x for my spa service (hot stone massage which was great) $187.62 charged 2x had to keep explaining I had only one massage. It still has not been refunded....my sister got dehydrated from to much sun, not enough fluids and she was given 2 IV fluids for a total of $1400!!! Yes, $1400!! They locked her account until we paid it. They said oh don't worry it won't be much. We will just hydrate her. The bill was more then her part of the cruise. We had charges from someone else's account as well as movies we didn't rent. All 3 pf pur cards got locked on different occasions and had to return to guest services to have our cards unlocked. Our excursion was cancelled in Honduras due to rain and they refunded only one of our tickets. We are still working on getting the other refund. If I never see the guest relation desk again I will be happy. It definitely caused a damper on our vacation and I'm not sure I will return to NCL on my next cruise next spring. I need a vaca from that vaca.

Your sister should know better.

Thank you for info. People here need to hear the "real time" info. I am sure they will cut and paste T&Cs and shoot down, but nice to hear REAL EXPERIENCES.. I guess fair warning to all if you need medical assistance.

Thank you for sharing. Hope it is an eye opening to all. Check your Medical Policy. No way should people get raped cuz they have fallen ill on cruise.

Can't wait for cheerleaders who are elite to chime in

Not about cheerleaders. Been in the ships dr and know it’s expensive just like any ER is. Not a way you want to spend your money on a cruise. Travel medical insurance would pay all or a majority of the costs depending on the severity of the issue.

Other issues the OP has if legit should be resolved no matter what business it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. This is the second post of a high medical bill on NCL. Hopefully it will not discourage folks from visiting the facility if they need to.

Any visit to any ship medical facility will be expensive, regardless of the cruise line. The doctors on board are generally a third party and you will need to pay them and hope to get reimbursed by trip insurance. The consult alone is in the $150-$300 range depending on the cruise line.

Some credit cards offer some level of travel insurance. Highly unlikely that the coverage will extend to ship physician but it doesn't hurt to check.

Also as posted by DragonFly - have your sister check with her medical policy. Despite our protests, a friend decided she was already really tan so she wouldn't need sun screen on a catamaran sail in Barbados and ended up with eyes almost swollen shut and a really bad sunburn. Much pain and a physician visit and prescriptions later, she felt somewhat better and to our surprise, her health insurance covered some of the cost when she submitted the bills. Just do it quickly, as there may be timely filing limits.

A $1,400 charge would certainly put a huge damper on my trip as well. It seems odd that they can't give you firm pricing for what is going to cost before providing the care but that seems to be standard.

The double charging is super frustrating too. I wonder if they had someone new that didn't know what they were doing?

Oh I absolutely agree it was my sister's responsibility. That's not in question. But not telling us the fee prior to give hydration or letting us believe it would be a reasonable bill is an issue.

I agree with you. Ncl not giving you an accurate estimate of the bill is bad form.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Oh I absolutely agree it was my sister's responsibility. That's not in question. But not telling us the fee prior to give hydration or letting us believe it would be a reasonable bill is an issue. We expected 300, 400 even 500. But $1400?? I'm a nurse I would have taken her to the cabin and done it myself. I really don't know why the customer service was so poor this trip. As I said my first sailing was amazing which is why I returned 6 months later on the same ship with 2 extra guests.

Sorry, but accepting the response" It won't be much" was your mistake.