anyone had a flat iron steak on the ship

csoud68

We were pleasantly surprised with the MDR flat iron steak on Victory; DH and I are both big steak eaters and he uses steak (usually ribeye) as a litmus test of sorts whenever we go out.

While it wasn't a super gourmet, amazeballs steak, it was very good, enough to order it a second time on our 4-day cruise.

Yes, agree, this is not a tender piece of meat and we have not had one we have liked due to its 'chewiness' and 'toughness'.....but we still keep trying on each and every cruise one time!!!

Turn it 90 then try cutting it.

"I will take it over a sirloin, strip, flank or chuck." You can not put chuck in the same category of Filet, N.Y., or Ribeye. Chuck happens to be full of flavor, just not served like a steak. It is mostly, baked, roasted, slow cooked , or pressure cooked

I ordered it last month on my Breeze cruise and it was absolutely horrible!! It was a thick round piece of meat that I could barely cut and it had no flavor at all. The only reason I ordered it was because I had it the year before on the Freedom and it was great. I do have to say that my only complaint about my Breeze cruise was the food. I am not a foodie or picky at all but the food on the Breeze was just plain bad. Thankfully I had the Cheers program so I drank my meals most of the time (lol).

It generally is not known as a tender piece of meat. When Food Channel shows how difficult it is to cook a hanger steak and some Chef's say it must be cooked rare -med rare to be edible, is not a good start when ordering a steak. I'll stick with the big 3, N.Y, Filet, and Rib Eye the most tender and flavorful cuts of meat, period.

The flat iron is from the shoulder and must be skillfully butchered to ensure tenderness. On the off chance you get a tough one ask for another. Also for tenderness it is best when cooked medium rare. Cut it against the grain on your plate. It has good flavor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak

Yup yup. The key is not going past medium rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums