Meet & Mingle

marylovestotravel

We're leaving soon on our Athens to Rome cruise (so excited!!!) and I was wondering what to expect in the Viking hosted Meet and Mingle. I am wondering about when they would have it. Some people have posted that they missed it because of conflicts with restaurant reservations, or they had not been notified of the date and time. What was your experience? Did they have it on the 1st day of the cruise? the 2nd? Was it evening or afternoon? The location?

Thanks for any help.

Mia

Two Ocean M&M in 2015/2016 both were held on cruise out days or next day if you cruise out @ night. Held privately in Explorers Lounge Upper Level with 15-25 in attendance plus 4 - 8 crew including officers and cruise director. Great food with wine and champagne. Notified by email and card in suite on arrival. Must sign-up through CC M&M with your account name. i.e. bcorre2. It's how they find you. Great opportunity to meet your fellow cruise mates for other social opportunities as dinner and excursion while on your cruise. :):ship::wine-glass::champagne-toast:

Our M&M during our December cruise out of Venice was fantastic. As we had complications forcing embarkation in Trieste attendees (10 or so) receive an executive briefing from the officers about the closure of the Venice port and embarkation in Trieste. There were cocktails and nice appetizers. I recommend reschedule your dinner to attend. Our M&M took place on level 2 of the Explorer's Lounge. On past non-Viking cruises the M&M was not as well attended and hosted so Viking has established a new standard.

Two Ocean M&M in 2015/2016 both were held on cruise out days or next day if you cruise out @ night. Held privately in Explorers Lounge Upper Level with 15-25 in attendance plus 4 - 8 crew including officers and cruise director. Great food with wine and champagne. Notified by email and card in suite on arrival. Must sign-up through CC M&M with your account name. i.e. bcorre2. It's how they find you. Great opportunity to meet your fellow cruise mates for other social opportunities as dinner and excursion while on your cruise. :):ship::wine-glass::champagne-toast:

When you go to register for the m&m, you will be asked to give the full names of the people in your party. Give your true and full name because CC will give those names to Viking so that they can deliver invitations to your cabin. To my understanding, CC does not share our screen names. If you are traveling with a party, you may bring your friends. You do not have to participate in a roll call, you just have to be a member of CC to register.

We just got off Viking Sun in Lisbon today. Wonderful cruise and beautiful ship. Our meet and mingle was moved to the 3rd evening of our cruise (6pm if I'm remembering correctly). It was moved from the 2nd evening to the 3rd acciirding to our Cruise Coordinator because many folks had long excursions on our 2nd day (that was the day folks could go to Florence). We didn't have a large turnout but it was nice. I think turnout might have been influenced because it's the one sailing that I'm aware of that never had an official meet and mingle sign up site on Cruise Critic making it hard to find and confusing. All quasi sign ups had to go thru a 3rd party. Several of us asked more than once according to conversations at the party onboard but it never happened. Hopefully next time.

• 2 months later...
Does Viking provide name tags for the Meet & Mingle or do we need our own?

Tom

We provide our own name tags on the Viking Star transatlantic. The meet was held in the upstairs portion of the explorer lounge. There were passed drinks and appetizers. The crew including the captain was there.. wonderful event. The invitation was in our cabin on the first day and the event was held the second night.. if you get a chance please go..

We provide our own name tags on the Viking Star transatlantic. The meet was held in the upstairs portion of the explorer lounge. There were passed drinks and appetizers. The crew including the captain was there.. wonderful event. The invitation was in our cabin on the first day and the event was held the second night.. if you get a chance please go..

For our TA do I pack Labels?

We actually had two M&M’s because several in our group were either not notified at all (including the “instigator”!) or else their invitation got lost. When you board, check carefully through all the papers you’ll find on your bed or the desk. Thought it was very generous of Viking to host two. According to Heather (CD) , ours was one of the largest - 30-40 people. Yes, take name tags.

Ours was held in the Wintergarden. We found it a little sparse and cold - felt kind of like we were inside a glass display. We weren't a large group and the venue didn't encourage mingling as it was so large. The ones upstairs in the Explorer's Lounge sound more inviting. There were no nametags so recognizing and/or remembering folks wasn't easy. It was our first so looking forward to our next.

• 2 months later...

I received an email from Viking that there will be a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle held aboard the Viking Star on the April 7th Italian Sojourn. I will post the date/time/area when I get it. Hope to meet lots of CC’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I received an email from Viking that there will be a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle held aboard the Viking Star on the April 7th Italian Sojourn. I will post the date/time/area when I get it. Hope to meet lots of CC’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congrats. They do a nice job on the M&M.

Hopefully your M&M will occur as scheduled. Did you notice when you signed up how many others were also signed up? On our recent Star cruise, they cancelled the M&M because not enough people had signed up... I think they said they needed at least 10. Enjoy!

Hopefully your M&M will occur as scheduled. Did you notice when you signed up how many others were also signed up? On our recent Star cruise, they cancelled the M&M because not enough people had signed up... I think they said they needed at least 10. Enjoy!

How do you find out how many have signed up?

Under Meet and Mingle, for Viking Ocean, view your registered party’s information, then Who’s Going?

Currently 27 for the April 14th sailing on the Sky.

Thanks. Sounds like a good crowd!

You will have to tell us how you came by your name. Or will we find out when there’s a full moon?

I wish that Viking would communicate that bit of information directly to Cruise Critic because on the sign up page, that is managed by Cruise Critic, it says, "If the party reaches a tally of 1 Viking Ocean Cruises will hold a Meet & Mingle party onboard!"

This must be new because I’ve heard from people who were the only ones signed up. Other lines require 25 to sign up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This must be new because I’ve heard from people who were the only ones signed up. Other lines require 25 to sign up.

It has been going on for a couple of months now. I read elsewhere of M&Ms (that CC said would happen) not taking place because of numbers and people being told that there weren't enough people, even after they had gotten the e-mail from CC saying that it would. If the rules have changed, Viking needs to inform Cruise Critic and Cruise Critic needs to change the information on the sign-up tool to reflect that change. It is not the change of policy that I am objecting to at this point as much as the inconsistent and inaccurate information--and in all honesty, I'm not so happy with the change of policy either.

It has been going on for a couple of months now. I read elsewhere of M&Ms (that CC said would happen) not taking place because of numbers and people being told that there weren't enough people, even after they had gotten the e-mail from CC saying that it would. If the rules have changed, Viking needs to inform Cruise Critic and Cruise Critic needs to change the information on the sign-up tool to reflect that change. It is not the change of policy that I am objecting to at this point as much as the inconsistent and inaccurate information--and in all honesty, I'm not so happy with the change of policy either.

Agreed. I had read several reports in the past about M&Ms where the staff outnumbered the guests, but I can certainly see why they would want a minimum. They do need to correct that, for sure.

We had 22 sign up for ours and I would guess that there were between 15 & 20. We did miss the sail away from San Juan past El Morro.

Last I looked there were only the two of us, but since it's not until July 2019, hopefully that will change! I don't think the roll call can even be searched yet, so that doesn't help......

Yes, it is way too far out to even worry about M&M registration. In the meantime, bookmark the link to the page that tells you who has signed up for your M&M and check it on a regular basis (monthly for now and more frequently starting at about 100 days out).

Remember that roll calls must be started by a CC member before they can searched for using the "Find Your Roll Call" tool. Ignore the "Roll Call" tool for now and go directly to the roll call forum for your ship (start here) and look for your sail date the old-fashion way, by scanning down the list of roll calls until you either find your sail date or feel confident that there isn't one. If one does not exist, start one (it is a dirty job but someone has to do it). If one does exist, post something. In either case, you should be subscribed to the roll call and will be notified when there are new posts to read (daily digests are best).

Last July on our Into the Midnight Sun Cruise we had an on board Meet and Mingle rerception from Cruise Critic. We made several friends at that reception who remained friends and companions throughout the whole 15 day cruise . We're leaving on the Viking Sky for an 8 days Southern Mediterranean Cruise leaving on December 16th, 2018. Will there be a meet and mingle reception on that cruise? I know this is rather early but just being curious.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app