Tipping at Specialty Restaurant

Jaymndad

$ 75 think that is a typo you mean 35.

OP they do tell us that included in the $ 35 is the tip however they will never tell us how much of a tip is included.

There have been all sorts of threads on this as to how much of a tip but basically we have taken the position that we have tipped the waiter but if service is exemplary we will add something to the bill.

Do as you feel comfortable.

It is a typo....actually meant 70 (as in for 2)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess it is herd mentality. If I walk in and everyone is tipping on top of the charge then I feel I should too. How ever is it is include in the $35 cover charge then why would you tip on top of a tip? Unless of course you got great service. The exact dollar amount only matters when you try and decide how much to tip. Would you tip the same amount if you knew the server got $10 of the $35 and if they only got $2 of the $35?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't worry about what they get and I don't tip above the service charge because the tip has already been paid so it's a moot point. It doesn't matter how much they receive from the upcharge because both the server and Carnival have decided what the server gets is honky dory.

They say that the tip is included, but I have it from a very reliable source that it is not.

Server: This is the reality, my salary is 1140. $ a monthwithout tips, a cook has 800- 1000$ a month. If we serve 2 pax a night or 100there is no difference because we do not have a percentage of the 35. If itwere true as ccl is saying that tips are included it would fluctuate month tomonth, right? So the additional tips are split evenly between server cooksdishwasher.

Server : Wellthe tips are not included at all although the company promotes it that way !!! We get the salary and from the extra tip that guest leave us. Extratips go to servers and the cooks. I don't know to tell you exactly how manypeople total since it is not the same on every ship.

Why in the world would carnival feel the need to lie about this?

Let me ask, why does it matter how much of the charge the servers receive? Would you change whether you tip extra or how much based on whether they got $2, $10, or $20 of the charge? If Carnival says whatever they get is good enough for Carnival and the server (because the server definitely knows how much they get), why is it not good enough for everyone else?

When they tell me the tip is included but encourage me to tip additional it makes me wonder exactly what is going on, and since it is my money would like to know what they are getting so I can decide for myself what to do.

So you are saying Carnival is lying and you have proof of that? :rolleyes:

No I and my friends email (that I posted) from her a long time server in the steakhouse are lying to you to try and trick you into tipping more, grrrrrrr. You will believe what you want no matter the proof.

No I and my friends email (that I posted) from her a long time server in the steakhouse are lying to you to try and trick you into tipping more, grrrrrrr. You will believe what you want no matter the proof.

Not accusing any specific one about lying but very strange that Carnival would feel the need to lie to us about a tip. Would think if the server was right who would want to work in steakhouse. Much better money to be maid working in DR.

When they tell me the tip is included but encourage me to tip additional it makes me wonder exactly what is going on' date=' and since it is my money would like to know what they are getting so I can decide for myself what to do.[/quote']

Personally, I can't think of any place these days that doesn't add a tip line to the check, even when the tip in already included or mandatory. To me, it's just another way to trick people who don't understand our tipping culture or trick someone who forgot they have already paid. It's just pretty much standard practice to add the tipping line on the check (I assume the tip line on the bill is what you are considering encouragement).

You will believe what you want no matter the proof.

I believe what the printed, posted policy is before I believe third hand information that can't be verified from the person who would benefit from spreading such information that is a contradiction of what is posted.

And of course, if life were that hard and pay that miserable, they can always leave. It's not like they are in the military.

From the Carnival website: The $35 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staff's gratuity; additional gratuities are optional and may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account, at the guest's discretion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

why such skepticism? they encourage to tip additional makes a person wonder about what is going on? why does something have to be going on?

where does it say we encourage you to tip extra.. it says grat included and anything else is discretionary... thats called stating facts... grat is included, what you do is your own discretion.. it cant be more clear yet theres a thought something is going on?

i just cant relate to those thoughts sorry, in todays world yeah lots is going on, but something as simple as stating a grat in included and additional is discretionary.. taking things too far.

its this simple, if it said only, gratuity included, people would STILL leave extra, if they so choose, but should that be interpreted as , dont leave any extra we had given the grat, no it doesnt

For one thing read John Heald's fb page.

I have a brain and have no need of a calculator. ;)
[emoji23] I'm no human calculator, but 15% is pretty simple math. Can easily figure 10% of anything in less than a second and then take half of that and add together.

Apparently it must be more difficult to some because almost everywhere has it printed at the bottom of the receipt showing what percent equals what tip.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app

$25 on a $70 bill is quite generous. My servers would kiss you.

Lol, like I said we felt we had great service and believe in rewarding those that put forth the extra effort to ensure our experience is memorable :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sort of puzzled. We often eat in the Steak House. I usually tip extra if the service is good, and there have been times when it was bad! I'm curious though, if you order a Steak House selection in the dining room it's $20.00. With all the extras you get: appetizers, sides and desserts, I can't imagine the waitstaff get that much of a tip. I think I do about $7 per person.