"possible" noro on anthem 10/28 sailing

Capt. advised passengers of an increase of passenger visits to the doctor's office regarding Noro. Passengers with any sympthoms should immediately go to the doctor's office to be checked out. No charge for the visit. Also, he advised that we would be seeing more vigorous cleaning throughout the ship (which we did in the buffet area especially).

Since it was near the end of the sailing and I wasn't feeling the greatest, didn't really have an appetite and had some of the sympthoms I decided to get checked out. Filled out the CDC Forms. Never confirmed it was "noro" but referred to as gastro intestenial and that I had a "lot of activity" in my stomach area. Since I wear Sea Bands on voyages the doctor said that is probably why I did not have vomiting but only the rear. I was considered to be in "isolation" meaning I was not to leave my cabin. I was given Pedalite to hydrate (ugly stuff!) and anti diarreah pills. Room service would be free and I could select free one movie to watch. I was given a guideline sheet of what food to eat. My dinner consisted of white rice, whole wheat toast, apple sauce and 2 bottles of water. No wonder there was no charge! Everything arrived on a plastic tray with the food in cardboard (not paper) plates in shrink wrap with plastic utensils.

Never having experienced this before I had no idea what to expect. My cabin mate who had some rear problems too was not asked to see the doctor nor was she confined to our cabin. Our cabin was to be disinfected (not sure what they did while we were at the doctor's office). Needless to say, I missed the last dinner and Spectra's Cabaret. Our luggage was not to be put outside with everyone else's but someone would pick it up at 10 PM. Too bad we did not know this before we put it out and I had to take it back inside. Our luggage was even in a separate area in the Bayonne Terminal which we assumed held the other infected passengers' luggage. Had one more rear bout before leaving the ship. I am very glad it happened at the end of the sailing and that I did not miss any more of the trip than I did.:( One bright point, RCL delivered a letter stating that I would receive a "credit" due to the miss portion of the sailing. Since I used a TA, she will get the details. For me, it seems that RCL assumed full responsibility that Noro was present on the ship. But I would rather not have been a victim.;)

Happy to say, slowing starting to feel more "normal" now that I have been home a few days.

MARAPRINCE

I think a few of the details could of been left out :eek:

Sorry to hear to happened though.

It's too bad hand sanitizer doesn't do anything for noro. Washing hands before going to the buffet is nice, but doesn't help that everyone else touches everything. As everyone who has been in a public bathroom can see (and probably quite a few here) a large number of people don't wash their hands at all.

Capt. advised passengers of an increase of passenger visits to the doctor's office regarding Noro. Passengers with any sympthoms should immediately go to the doctor's office to be checked out. No charge for the visit. Also, he advised that we would be seeing more vigorous cleaning throughout the ship (which we did in the buffet area especially).

Since it was near the end of the sailing and I wasn't feeling the greatest, didn't really have an appetite and had some of the sympthoms I decided to get checked out. Filled out the CDC Forms. Never confirmed it was "noro" but referred to as gastro intestenial and that I had a "lot of activity" in my stomach area. Since I wear Sea Bands on voyages the doctor said that is probably why I did not have vomiting but only the rear. I was considered to be in "isolation" meaning I was not to leave my cabin. I was given Pedalite to hydrate (ugly stuff!) and anti diarreah pills. Room service would be free and I could select free one movie to watch. I was given a guideline sheet of what food to eat. My dinner consisted of white rice, whole wheat toast, apple sauce and 2 bottles of water. No wonder there was no charge! Everything arrived on a plastic tray with the food in cardboard (not paper) plates in shrink wrap with plastic utensils.

Never having experienced this before I had no idea what to expect. My cabin mate who had some rear problems too was not asked to see the doctor nor was she confined to our cabin. Our cabin was to be disinfected (not sure what they did while we were at the doctor's office). Needless to say, I missed the last dinner and Spectra's Cabaret. Our luggage was not to be put outside with everyone else's but someone would pick it up at 10 PM. Too bad we did not know this before we put it out and I had to take it back inside. Our luggage was even in a separate area in the Bayonne Terminal which we assumed held the other infected passengers' luggage. Had one more rear bout before leaving the ship. I am very glad it happened at the end of the sailing and that I did not miss any more of the trip than I did.:( One bright point, RCL delivered a letter stating that I would receive a "credit" due to the miss portion of the sailing. Since I used a TA, she will get the details. For me, it seems that RCL assumed full responsibility that Noro was present on the ship. But I would rather not have been a victim.;)

Happy to say, slowing starting to feel more "normal" now that I have been home a few days.

MARAPRINCE

Not a pleasant experience at all. My husband had it on the Explorer several years ago and had to remain in the cabin. We were also on the 10/28 Anthem sailing and my husband and daughter both experienced symptoms the morning we disembarked. Made a trip to the medical center, completed the forms and received medication.

Didn't spoil the wonderful time we had!

It was nice of them to extend a credit to you for something they have no control over! Ships only carry whatever "germs" the passengers/crew bring aboard! It is the "noro" season....happens every year when schools start back up!

You probably didn't have the norovirus at all...when you get that, you are SICK....VERY sick and feel like you're being turned inside out....awful. You wouldn't have wanted to eat at all.

It's too bad hand sanitizer doesn't do anything for noro. Washing hands before going to the buffet is nice, but doesn't help that everyone else touches everything. As everyone who has been in a public bathroom can see (and probably quite a few here) a large number of people don't wash their hands at all.

That’s why ALL that matters is that we don’t put our hands to our faces/mouths. So don’t eat the bread because that’s held in hands. No finger food. Use your utensils.

That way if you’ve touched tongs that have the virus on them, you’re not transferring it to yourself.

OP, having been in a house with noro, the seabands had nothing to do with it. Didn’t matter if you weren’t nauseated by the lotion of the sea; you would have thrown up if that’s how your virus manifested. Reading up on how noro works is fascinating. (I had about three healthy days of caring for my son, during which time I read all about it, before I got it) Noro does all sorts of things to our bodies to help it live and spread.

I've had noro 2 times (both caught from my kids who got it at daycare/school). The sea bands would not stop vomiting and honestly without that being present I don't think you had noro.

I'm almost wondering if it was some kind of food poisoning?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had noro 2 times (both caught from my kids who got it at daycare/school). The sea bands would not stop vomiting and honestly without that being present I don't think you had noro.

It will almost be a week since we left the ship and I am still not feeling normal. Had a slight temperature on and off and little desire to eat. At least the problems with the rear have stopped!!! Still feel a little nauseau everuy now and them. Have not been out of the house since returning last Saturday. Not much energy. Luggage is still sitting in my livingroom where I dropped it. My cousin is also not feeling as well as she should either.

Whatever "it" was, it should does not want to let go!:(

MARAPRINCE

It will almost be a week since we left the ship and I am still not feeling normal. Had a slight temperature on and off and little desire to eat. At least the problems with the rear have stopped!!! Still feel a little nauseau everuy now and them. Have not been out of the house since returning last Saturday. Not much energy. Luggage is still sitting in my livingroom where I dropped it. My cousin is also not feeling as well as she should either.

MARAPRINCE

That's does not sound like noro to me. Usually symptoms only last for about 24-48 hours (but those hours are hell). It hits you hard and fast with a lot of vomiting. The rest of time to GT over it is basically just recovering from the vomiting etc. I.e. you may be weak, sore stomach etc. But usually once you start replenishing liquids and eating you start to feel much better.

The fact that neither of you had vomiting I really don't think it was

Noro and was more likely some kind of food poisoning.

Well I cannot say whether it was Norovirus or not, however I can say that vomiting is not required for a diagnosis of Noro... that is just silly.

MARAPRINCE

Sorry you had to go through that. I hope you feel better soon, and yeah I agree about good thing it was at the end.

Never confirmed it was "noro" but referred to as gastro intestenial and that I had a "lot of activity" in my stomach area. Since I wear Sea Bands on voyages the doctor said that is probably why I did not have vomiting but only the rear. I was considered to be in "isolation" meaning I was not to leave my cabin. I was given Pedalite to hydrate (ugly stuff!) and anti diarreah pills. Room service would be free and I could select free one movie to watch. I was given a guideline sheet of what food to eat. My dinner consisted of white rice, whole wheat toast, apple sauce and 2 bottles of water. No wonder there was no charge! Everything arrived on a plastic tray with the food in cardboard (not paper) plates in shrink wrap with plastic utensils.

Never having experienced this before I had no idea what to expect. My cabin mate who had some rear problems ....

Thanks for the laughs.

There are some hand sanitizers that are believed to be effective. Of course, handwashing with soap and water is always the best bet. But using these in addition is a good idea. I use the Clorox non-bleach hand sanitizers mentioned in this article:

http://www.romper.com/p/this-one-hand-sanitizer-kills-norovirus-heres-where-to-get-it-36604/amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's does not sound like noro to me. Usually symptoms only last for about 24-48 hours (but those hours are hell). It hits you hard and fast with a lot of vomiting. The rest of time to GT over it is basically just recovering from the vomiting etc. I.e. you may be weak, sore stomach etc. But usually once you start replenishing liquids and eating you start to feel much better.

The fact that neither of you had vomiting I really don't think it was

Noro and was more likely some kind of food poisoning.

Definitely not food poisoning! With food poisoning, it hits almost immediately within 2-3 hours of eating the bad food and with lots of vomiting/purging. This started slowly at first with more frequent bathroom visits and stomach cramps. As I said, thereas some nausea but wearing Sea Bands minimized it. Lack of appetite was also present along with not just feeling right. For the Capt. to announce that during the past few days there was a noticeable increase in passenger visits to the doctor's office and he actually called it "Noro" , there had to be a large number of passengers affected. Someone on my roll call stated that it has to be at least 1% of passengers affected before the cruise line must report it to the CDC. Athem had over 4,000+ passengers on our sailing since it was sold out. I did fill out CDC forms in the doctor's office. There were quite a few pieces of luggage in a separate area in Bayonne and we were only the 2nd group after self assist off the ship.

MARAPRINCE

Sorry you had to go through that. I hope you feel better soon, and yeah I agree about good thing it was at the end.

Thanks for your understanding. Haven't been out of the house since I came home last Saturday because I am still not feeling tip top. Really glad it did happen at the end of the sailing but sorry to miss the last night's show/activities and getting to say "goodbye" to our wonderful wait staff in the Grande. At breakfast the last morning, I barely ate anything other than the toasted bagel.

As the doctor stated, I should have visited the him sooner but I thought it would passs as I was careful of whatever and how much I ate but still had one more "visit" to the bathroom before leaving the ship. Took the anti-diaherra pills I was given as soon as it happened.

Definitely enjoyed my experience on the ship and would book Anthem again!:D

MARAPRINCE

MARAPRINCE

Cholera! [emoji40]

Sent from my LGL44VL using Forums mobile app

The risk of picking up communicable illness is my one big negative with cruising. I was on Anthem in September and picked up a cold which hit the morning after I got home. Most likely a gift from a young lady with a juicy cough in my direction at the Windjammer ugh. I did everything I could in terms of handwashing and hand sanitizer but short of walking around in a surgical mask there's not much you can do with airborne germs.

Yes, you can pick up illness anywhere, but my kids are grown and I don't spend a lot of time in crowded places, so cruise ships are a risk. I think next time I will add only using my cabin bathroom to my prevention list. Yes, I'm a lot of fun to travel with haha. I just hate getting sick.

After this experience, I am less eager about eating in the buffet just thinking about all the germs on the serving spoons that hundreds/thousands touch. Hopefully, the next cruise I go on has another dining option besides the buffet available on boarding day.:eek: Once was enough! Only good thing was that I was isolated at the end of the sailing. It is now more than a week since my return that I am just about feeling "normal" and food is once again appealing.

Normally, the crew has a very limited amount of time to clean and get the ship ready for the next group of passengers. Add in extra cleaning for Noro and a ship as large as Anthem...... We saw them after the Capt.'s announcement cleaning all the seating surfaces and columns in the buffet. I actually slipped on the tile outside the elevator area due to the spray on the floor.

MARAPRINCE

I maintain a personal policy when eating at the buffet. Right hand is used for touching scoops and tongs. Left hand is used for any contact with food (toast, or whatever). If utensils are used, don't pass them back and forth between hands. Sounds kind of neurotic, but it kept me from catching the Noro this past trip.

I am glad you a re healing. We did notice all the cleaning of handrails (and I use them due to my handicap) and was very impressed... now I know why. Thank goodness this didn't hit our party - my friend had enough issues going on without noro added in (her issue as surgically fixed on Friday, non-contagious).

Luck or unluck of the draw on whether or not you will get Noro if it is on board.

Many passengers who are ill choose not to report it since they do not want to be confined to their cabin and provided with the special diet prescribed. This only serves to increase the spread of it on the ship. You cannot force them to go to the doctor's office.

Even if you very diligently wash your hands at every opportunity, just think about all the surfaces you touch on the ship. Unless you want to spend your sailing encased in a hazmat suit, you cannot avoid all contact with it.:(

MARAPRINCE